SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Who purchased a weapon R ECU for the sc400

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-02, 04:58 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add-on unit... you can stick it in the casing or mount it above or to the side; it's not very big. We'll figure out what the deal is when I check out my wiring this evening or tomorrow morning.. all it takes is one wire in that massive harness to mess it up.
Old 01-12-02, 11:09 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I checked the ECU wiring this morning, and there wasn't anything unusual about it. You have to make sure that the correct module wires correspond to the placement on the wiring diagram. It won't work unless the one for the ECU is hooked to the ECU wire and the one going back to the engine is hooked to the engine's designated wire. Also, on the harness the pins that are blocked with the little yellow plugs are to be considered pin holes. The wire colors are unmistakeable though, and if the colors don't correspond you've got a problem.

Other people haven't had any trouble with this upgrade, so if you're not 110% sure, check the wiring yourself- it's not hard.
Old 01-12-02, 03:34 PM
whosdady
Rookie

Default Thanks for checking out the layout

Thanks Scott or checking it out... Sounds like it must be a problem with the module rather than the wiring.

I took mine to a shop that does stuff like this all the time. We actually called Leo during and after the install. We were the ones who informed him the color code was printed incorrectly for one of the wires.

I will let you know how it goes after I hear from Leo on Monday. I am sure he will just send another module to myself and SV8.
Old 01-12-02, 04:28 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I just discovered that the guy who drew up and put together the actual wiring harness for the ECU module screwed up the pin configuration. I'm making a drawing of mine, and I'll take a picture too and upload those. You should be able to rearrange the pins by dislodging the wrong ones with a small screwdriver.
Old 01-12-02, 05:25 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the updated module connector map. WHITE replaces GRAY and BLACK replaces ORANGE on the original diagram. If the wires were correctly installed, the upgrade should work after re-learning mode is completed. I hope this works, and if it does, have fun and drive like a maniac! (but don't crash or get a ticket)
Attached Thumbnails Who purchased a weapon R ECU for the sc400-correct.jpg  
Old 01-12-02, 05:30 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Look above for the right wiring diagram.
Here is a picture of my ECU hanging out of the carpet, you'll notice the different wire placements.
I think it's time Leo hired me to work there, it sure seems like I do
Attached Thumbnails Who purchased a weapon R ECU for the sc400-ecu.jpg  
Old 01-12-02, 06:01 PM
oatse
Driver School Candidate

madmax,

since you are an employee now , any install tips- how to find the stock ecu and where to stick the extra box, any warnings- where best to splice, etc.

thanks in advance.

-Ed
Old 01-12-02, 06:12 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Doing it yourself is ok if you're good at that kind of thing- The stock ecu is behind the rug on the slanted portion of the passenger footwell. There's a big black cover with 2 10mm nuts holding that on. When that comes off, you take off the plastic cap on the harness and use a 10mm socket on the bolt there to pull the ECU harness back (it uses the threads to unhook the big harness) and unsnap the smaller side of the harness. Splicing should be done with a soldering iron, and the best place to splice is where you can get at the wire comfortably near the harness.
Make sure the battery's disconnected and follow the instructions carefully, except for the damn harness.. which if yours hasn't shipped will need rearranging also. Make sure you sub those 2 wires as mentioned above.
Old 01-13-02, 12:58 PM
whosdady
Rookie

Smile Thanks MAD MAX

I appreciate the PM as well. I still have a couple of questions. I realize the harness is bad and not the module. My question is which white and which black wire do you use to change with the gray and the orange? There are multiples of those colors in the ecu harness.

I think I should also wait for Leo since he is the one who sold this to me. He is the one who is ultimatly responsible. Plus, maybe it would be more reliable if Leo were to just send us a good harness with accurate directions.

Thanks again for finding the problem.
Old 01-13-02, 01:06 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I'm the one who figured this out for Leo. I'm not talking about messing with your ECU harness, the harness for your new Intercrew module is what was put together incorrectly. Once you have re-arranged the wires on it you need to make sure that the white wire is connected to the wire coming from the car's ECU, and that the black wire is the one connected to the wire going out to the engine bay. That's for the Yellow and Green wire from the car's ECU wiring that was spliced, chances are it was correctly done to begin with though.
Now, if your Intercrew harness wire colors are DIFFERENT from the ones I listed in that map I need you to tell me which color wires are in what place BEFORE you re-arrange the wires in that harness. That diagram on this post is of MY wiring harness, but if your wires match the ones on the diagram that came with it, simply substitute white for gray and black for orange (they go in the same place) and re-arrange the wires in the Intercrew harness accordingly.

Last edited by MadMaxSC400; 01-13-02 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-13-02, 02:11 PM
whosdady
Rookie

OK, looking at my module harness and then looking at your module harness. I notice that I have no white or black wires. I have a gray wire where the white should be and an orange wire where the black wire should be. (according to your last post and current reccomendations)

I understand that they need to be substituted, but where do I find this white wire and black wire from? They are not part of my module harness that was sent to me? In the install directions, there is no mention of a black or white wire. My question is, where do I find these wires? There are many located throughout the stock ecu harness, but I know you are not referring to that. My only conclusion is that we have different harnesses. However, maybe you ar telling me to switch the gray wire with the orange wire in the module harness? Is this right?

Please confirm this with Leo. Please IM or email me at whosdady@aol.com. Or call me 314 616 6626.

Thanks,

Scott P.
Old 01-13-02, 05:21 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks MadMax,for the diagrams,I verified what you had with the simple circuits on the by-pass plug,just to try and be sure that your unit wasn't maybe different,being a true prototype and all.
So,after re-locating the blue and purple wires within the connector,the unit now functions.
However,I don't recommend trying to move these unless you've done this kind of thing before,as you may become frustrated.
The sockets that go into the connector are pretty much a one-time deal,unless you happen to have the special tool,and I've even found that doesn't work so good either.I will probably pot the wires to the end of the connector with some silicone to help keep the wires in place,but I doubt that there will be many times that I need to swap in the bypass;you may be better off to just wait for a proper connector,which will install much faster than the first time with the wires now located,stripped,and tinned with solder.
The car rocks now,and I haven't done anyting to my exhaust,so there's more to come once I uncork that part.
I'm just real happy that my car's ECM didn't get fried with all this;I did that myself once,on another car way back,and that's enough for one lifetime.
Old 01-13-02, 06:10 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hehehe, it really pulled out the power, huh? I'm trying to help whosdady out, and I agree with you on the connector.. I'm going to talk to Leo monday and make sure that the correct connector gets shipped out from now on. All it really is, is 2 wires- the blue and purple ones- that are out of place. But, that little mistake was enough to screw the whole thing up. The guy responsible will be sacked (he's British).
Apparently my connectors have a black and white wire in place of the orange and gray ones. Here's another little diagram with that included.
Attached Thumbnails Who purchased a weapon R ECU for the sc400-finalecu.jpg  
Old 01-14-02, 07:47 PM
whosdady
Rookie

Default I finally did it!

After two shops and some time...

I found the esiest way to change the harness was to simply push with a small hex. Meaning I entered the harness from the opposite side that the wires enter the plug. Then I clipped them into the right locations. No more problems.

My initial response is good. The car is more responsive and feels much stonger when I push hard on the pedal. I really think the power will incease as I modify the exhaust. I will post after I do so.

Thanks Leo and Scott. I think every SC400 owner should have this ECU module.
Old 01-15-02, 02:50 PM
oatse
Driver School Candidate

Leo,

THanks for getting the ECU to me so quickly. Other than the pink and red wires, the new harness looks nothing like MadMax describes, but matches the install instructions. . . So, I just wanted to be sure I got the right wiring sheet and harness config before I start butchering the stock harness

The bypass plug does look like it loops back the two stock wires that are spliced, which would appear to be a good sign. Just for my edification, what are the two wires that are spliced? My guess would be perhaps the MAF, Oxy sensor, TPS, temp? but you seem to be only foolin' the stock ECU on two inputs. I've put a Wolf-3d standalone on a 944 turbo and a split second piggyback fuel before that, so I'm pretty comfortable with the concepts- I'd just dig a little insight into Lexus engine management. How in the world to you effect timing, fuel map, rev limit, speed limit (without screwing up the tach, speedo, and odo in the process) , shift pressure and shift points through those two inputs? Must be magic. . .

Can't wait to get the piggyback in. New wheels, new tires, new springs, new struts, new rotors, new pads- I'm going to make this thing try to live up to the S in SC. Thanks to everyone for the threads so I don't have to learn so many things the hard way (like I did with the Porsche). Still, I gave up 500bhp from a 2.5 liter, so when is someone going to get us an option for forced induction? My buddy who did a lot of the 944 work wants to do a custom turbo for it, but I have not recovered from my last few guinea pig projects ($$$$). Find a way for SC to stand for supercharged, and find a clever way to let the WR ECU do the engine management for that using a MAP sensor.

Thanks,

-Ed

Quick Reply: Who purchased a weapon R ECU for the sc400