SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How to install steering wheel and cup holder in 92' SC4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-02, 10:20 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default How to install steering wheel and cup holder in 92' SC4?

I just got my new "used" steering delivered from Van "Banking" today... I also picked up my dash cup holder from Chris "DirectQL"...

Q: How do you remove/replace the steering wheel/air bag with out damaging anything? Has anyone removed an airbag before? Any tips will be appreciated!!! Van, I will call you on Monday about the other arrangements...........

Q: How do ya' install the indash cup holder(Chris it did not snap right in..)? Any info will be appreciated from anyone who has installed one..

DirectQL, I'm looking forward to see you and 2Lexos again.. I really enjoyed the Spanish dinner(you were right it was a great spot).. You guys are REALLY COOL!!! Tell Alex "2Lexos" that I love his GS3 and thanks for the meal from me and my cousin..

Direct, that girls next to ya at the other table were nice too ...

Please reply ASAP, I want to install it tomorrow or Sunday morn..

The Ikon
Old 01-05-02, 07:55 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb Anyone?

Old 01-05-02, 06:41 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ikon,

I can help with the cup holder.

You must take out the center trim cover around the radio/heater assm. Look in archives for tips to remove this cover. Once the center console cover is off then you can snap off the little blank that is in the cup holder slot. Then you may snap the cup holder in. You see, the blank is installed and snaps inplace to close that hole down there. After taking the blank out...you snap the cup holder in.

Hope this helps
Old 01-05-02, 06:46 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I tried to search for the info on the cup holder. There is a thread with a diagram. I can not find it.. Do you know who started the thread or who posted the pics?
Old 01-05-02, 09:49 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Ikon,

No the thread was not for the cup holder. It was a procedure to repair the lights in the heater control assm. It has nice pics on how to take off the center console cover. The service manual shows how to take that console cover off.
Old 01-05-02, 11:08 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Toy errrrrr, how do I take the center console cover off then? If anyone know this or the thread that Toylex is referring to let me know asap......
Old 01-05-02, 11:51 PM
kschiu
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ikon,

The page is in Japanese but the picture is good and is very clear.

http://kenji.fureai.or.jp/soarer/30/...der/index.html

James
Old 01-05-02, 11:56 PM
kschiu
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thread is

Someone In Here Must Know How To Remove The Stereo, Pls Post

The instructions by Taka are:

take a look at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...20&pagenumber=1
there is nice diagram by c_irie .

also http://kenji.fureai.or.jp/soarer/30...der/index.html, this site is in japanese but it has nice pictures. let me add description of each picture.
this site explains how to install additional cupholder but dont worry about it, plus Japanese Soarer (sc series) has driver seat on right side so pictures might be wierd for some of you .
look at 3rd pic, this is same pic as hellasboy's.
after remove 2 screws, you can take out the shift(4th picture). Now you can just pop up the cuphold(be careful, 5th picture). on 5th picutre, you can see the screw on the cupholder, remove 2 screws. Now it looks like 6th picture. then using flat screwdriver or similar and remove the plate (7th picture), be careful and slowly because there are 3 connector plugs. Unplug 3 connector and take out the plate (8th picture), and you see 4 screws(not including 2 screws under the cupholder). now pull the Panel out(9th picture), again be careful, there are i believe 3 connector plugs. Unplug them. That's it for pictures on this site but removing head unit is easy. I'm getting digital camera soon so I can take pictures. meanwhile hellasboy can make beautiful site? :P

hope it helps good luck. let me know if you need more detail description.

James
Old 01-06-02, 04:18 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

I'd pay a Lexus dealer to do the wheel.
If you stuff it and it goes off it could kill you or make you deaf in one ear.
I know of one stereo guy who set off an airbag in a BMW while installing component speakers, injured an ear badly and broke a bone.
Old 01-06-02, 05:55 AM
lextec
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

ikon, steering wheel removal instructions:

Steer steering wheel atraight ahead & disconnect the negative battery post. Wait at least five minutes for your air bag ECU's igniter capacitor to discharge - for good measure, after five minutes, step on your brake pedal so that any residual current is drawn away from any other electronic/electrical component.
*Next, remove the two panels that flank the steering wheel, behind the air bag. Remove the two or four torx bolts that secure the air bag. You either have to pull the bolts out onto their installation locks or completely remove them in order to have enough clearance to pull the air bag out. Once you've got the bolts out, you can then CAREFULLY pull the air bag straight out SLOWLY. Not too far though because there is a connector that you have to remove behind the air bag. The connector is a two stage lock. Gently squeeze the two yellow tabs together to release the first lock. Then, the second lock is spring loaded, so you have to pull the collar on the harness side away from the air bag connector.
*Once removed, again CAREFULLY carry the air bag facing upwards & away from you(NEVER face it downwards or at you)
to a safe & remote location & place it facing UPWARDS(Lexus logo facing up!) Placement area is common sense, no hazards anywhere near it.
*Now, you'll need to make sure that your steering wheel is level & centered. Disconnect the horn & cruise control connector. You can index the steering wheel to the column with correction fluid to be sure that it all lines up when you're done. Carefully remove the 19mm nut that secures the steering wheel to the steering column. DO NOT use an impact wrench. Next, grasp the steering wheel at the nine & three o'clock positions & firmly wiggle the steering wheel loose(careful not to lose your level & center)
*Reinstall the replacement steering wheel, making sure that all lines up. Torque the 19mm nut to 22lbs.ft . Reconnect the horn & cruise control connectors. CAREFULLY place the air bag in place after you have made sure that the two stage connector is COMPLETELY locked. Reinstall the two or four torx bolts, torque to 8lbs.inch . Reinstall the plastic covers for the bolts. Perform a double & triple check that you have installed EVERYTHING correctly & reconnect your negative battery post. Start up the vehicle & make sure that the air bag warning light extinguishes three seconds from start-up. Done! No big deal, just common sense. Hope you're happy with your new steering wheel!
Old 01-06-02, 09:51 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by kschiu
The thread is

Someone In Here Must Know How To Remove The Stereo, Pls Post

The instructions by Taka are:

take a look at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...20&pagenumber=1
there is nice diagram by c_irie .

also http://kenji.fureai.or.jp/soarer/30...der/index.html, this site is in japanese but it has nice pictures. let me add description of each picture.

James
James, thanks for the info... I guess I can stop trying to pry open the "blank" wall and do it right... j/k

Thomas
Old 01-06-02, 10:13 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by UZZ32
I'd pay a Lexus dealer to do the wheel.
If you stuff it and it goes off it could kill you or make you deaf in one ear.
I know of one stereo guy who set off an airbag in a BMW while installing component speakers, injured an ear badly and broke a bone.
:eek: Did you say KILL me!? I knew it was easy to set off if you are not careful. I guess it does make sense if it discharges and explodes in your face or breaks your neck...
Whew, thanks for the extreme con of the installation. Also thanks for the links to the holder.

***Lextec, thanks for the detailed info too... I see it is very easy to remove/install BUT a person must be careful.

On www.American-stitches.com they have a removal section too, "LexRX" had to remind me of it.. There is a 95' - 99' Celica steering wheel removal section with pic and info. It looks very close to the way our wheel should be removed.

*Lextech that procedure on A-S.com is very close to what you are saying... I'm convince that CL has the best/knowledgeable members on the web...

Last edited by The Ikon; 01-06-02 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-07-02, 07:37 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Here's some pics of a Lexus steering wheel showing a few good shots on removal. "LexRX" posted the pics...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...509#post170509

Thomas
Old 01-07-02, 08:58 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Guess snapping in didn't work quite well. It seemed to me that you don't have to do all this. If you have to take it off there the plastic around the shifter is just snapped in, and the cover that goes around the whole center console (I replaced it) is screwed in on the lower part by the shifter and the rest is snapped in I think.
Old 01-07-02, 09:15 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: How to install steering wheel and cup holder in 92' SC4?

Originally posted by The Ikon
I just got my new "used" steering delivered from Van "Banking" today... I also picked up my dash cup holder from Chris "DirectQL"...

Q: How do you remove/replace the steering wheel/air bag with out damaging anything? Has anyone removed an airbag before? Any tips will be appreciated!!! Van, I will call you on Monday about the other arrangements...........

Q: How do ya' install the indash cup holder(Chris it did not snap right in..)? Any info will be appreciated from anyone who has installed one..

DirectQL, I'm looking forward to see you and 2Lexos again.. I really enjoyed the Spanish dinner(you were right it was a great spot).. You guys are REALLY COOL!!! Tell Alex "2Lexos" that I love his GS3 and thanks for the meal from me and my cousin..

Direct, that girls next to ya at the other table were nice too ...

Please reply ASAP, I want to install it tomorrow or Sunday morn..

The Ikon
Heh, yeah, it was fun to go there again. We were there little early so all the people were just starting to get around. Unfortunetly there was a little lack of blonds there, I don't know what's up with that. Hahaha. Well, spring break is around the corner. Maybe it's time for a nice trip to FL for spring break.

Quick Reply: How to install steering wheel and cup holder in 92' SC4?