new owner, problems, questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-01, 07:25 AM
joelchicago
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner, problems, questions!

Hi all,

I just picked up a burgundy 92 SC400 for $4500 US, 178K miles, here in the Chicago burbs (for my new daily driver). It's got every option and is in pretty nice shape yet. All highway miles, and the drivetrain is so smooth yet, it's the same as the 80K mile ones I looked at. Great car for the cash! I can't wait to rack up some of my own miles on it.

Questions:
1. Tan leather is ripped on drivers seat bottom. Anyone know a place to get a used seat reasonably, or do I have an upholstery place do it? Costs?
2. Are speakers relatively easy to replace? My 4"s are acting up on the passenger side. Tweeter is OK, but sounds like 2 blown coils on other speakers. I've installed a lot of car stereos, but I wanted to know about any odd install quirks up front!
3. Did anyone here do the 98 nose upgrade? Anything else required to do the work except the new front end? Mine is cracked in 2 spots and the bottom black piece is missing.
4. I have a miss at idle when cold (when fully warmed, car runs flawlessly). It is quite severe at times and irregular in timing, and I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem like this? Seems like a temperature sensor, MAF, or something like that could be affecting the ignition, or maybe even some kind of coil is acting up until the car gets good and warm??
5. I have the chrome rims with poor tires and I'm heading into winter (snow is on the ground!). Any suggestions to avoid snow tires (GOOD all season radials)? Any sizes that I can use to make it look a bit more aggressive than stock?
6. I have a fogged up headlight, which I hope to clean and reseal. Anyone done this? Hints? I saw a procedure online, but I'm not wanting to pay for it!

Thanks everyone!
Old 12-28-01, 10:02 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Joel,

Hey, congrats and long time no talk. ;-)

The best bet on the seat is to remove the cover yourself and take it in to a shop to repair. Speakers are easy replacements...which radio do you have? The miss at idle could be several items....I would start with the caps, rotors, plugs and wires. At your mileage they prob need replaced anyways. No such thing as good all season radials after you have driven on Blizzaks :-) Nothing will come close to them...so its a tough call. If your planning on keeping the car...get another set of rims and mount up some Blizzaks. Front bumper, I cant help...I know the black spoiler under the 92 bumper is big bucks but the bumper cover is cheap.

Give me a ring, I have added a number of cars since we last talked. But, so have you. hehe
Old 12-28-01, 10:03 AM
joelchicago
Rookie

Default headlight

OK, I found a lot of info on this site about the headlight fix. I got that one. Sorry about the pre-research post!

Still could use other info though!
Old 12-28-01, 08:28 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

hey, another SC & RX7 guy.....welcome aboard!!

98 SC3
95 RX7
Old 12-28-01, 10:50 PM
pinoyentity
Rookie

Originally posted by JohnnySC
hey, another SC & RX7 guy.....welcome aboard!!

exactly what i was gonna say

welcome
congrats on the new car
Old 12-29-01, 05:35 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

There is some headlight stuff and plugs/leads stuff here:
Pete's Soarer Tech Stuff
Good luck with your car!