SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bippu Garage LED Tails

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 07:39 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Deron has them, but he has had problems with LED's burning out. Awful expensive for such a mod...$2,700 for the set, and you provide the tails...

Ouch.

Ryan
yeah i sure took the plunge...and plunge i did. When these things work, nothing comes close to the light output and design of the tailight...and i mean-nothing. Currently they are in for repair due to led burnout and need to be upgraded to the latest offerings in led and led mounting tech. However i have to constantly follow up this repair that is paid for and have non realistic,extended wait times for the return of my project. Take the plunge if you dare....
Old 07-19-07, 07:45 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

btw, i dont like the look of those Bippu Garage tails at all...i know a lot of work went into making those and i applaud the effort,but it seems many things must be considered in the completion of this project to make them useable.

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 07-19-07 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-19-07, 07:53 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your input. Just what I needed to hear. Im just going to keep the 97s clean and simple by not having anyone touch them at all. I had no idea it they were going to have so many problems.
Old 07-19-07, 09:01 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Thanks for your input. Just what I needed to hear. Im just going to keep the 97s clean and simple by not having anyone touch them at all. I had no idea it they were going to have so many problems.
well to be more specific and fair with the assessment of the light failure,it's not exactly a problem with the led's themselves. The problem lies within the soldering points to the board that power the led. After time, the outside elements (extreme hot/cold) lift and loosen the solder-hence the power loss to the led. since the initial completion of my tailight project,there have been several revisions made with the materials used in later projects, so my return of this project is to update to those more durable materials and make some cosmetic changes.
Old 07-20-07, 08:05 AM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know Bippu Garages website?
Old 07-20-07, 08:18 AM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The problem is that these were not designed for led's so they do not radiate properly. They just fire light straight backwards and do not disperse it evenly. OEM led tails in newer vehicles have mirrored spreaders inside that radiate the light 360 degrees properly.

That was one of the reasons I never built the LED tails any further than one set. They are dangerous because they only focus light in one area. If you are just 20 steps to the right of the tail light you can hardly tell they are on at night aside of the glow on the glass itself rather than the usual burst of light coming out in all directions, in the daytime unless you are directly behind them the car near you, possibly in the lane right next to you getting ready to change lanes behind you, they will never see you hit your brakes. Even a small change in the actual pitch of the car will point them up or down and take the light away from your focus point and you'll never see them hit the brakes in the daytime.
I agree these could potentially be quite dangerous Unless further modifications were made.
Old 07-20-07, 10:29 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

What's really ironic is that most led tails do not have led's in them at all. It's a bulb with a very chopped mirrored spreader inside. Take a look at the KIA tail lights for a good example.
Old 07-20-07, 10:37 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Here's an example.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-07, 11:59 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

deron, is clearcorners charging you for their update/repair or do you have to pay extra?
Old 07-20-07, 05:13 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by newyorksc
deron, is clearcorners charging you for their update/repair or do you have to pay extra?
it's an out of pocket expense.. i forgot how long the warranty was but, i also damaged one of my tails my slapping the tailight to "shock" the led back on and ended up cracking the taillight....guess i don't know my own strength
Old 07-20-07, 05:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by nextlevelcoupe
it's an out of pocket expense.. i forgot how long the warranty was but, i also damaged one of my tails my slapping the tailight to "shock" the led back on and ended up cracking the taillight....guess i don't know my own strength
We've seen pics Deron, we're aware of your strength
Old 07-20-07, 07:22 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

We've seen pics Deron, we're aware of your strength
lol...that's hilarious. Aaahhh the glory days-so far behind me now

Last edited by nextlevelcoupe; 07-21-07 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-20-07, 07:30 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what is the website for bippu garage??
Old 07-20-07, 07:34 PM
Koma

Here's an example.
Well they don't claim to be LED tails. Real LEDs you can tell the real deal. They fire on quickly and they are very bright.
Old 07-20-07, 07:37 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Question

those look decent, but the clearcorner offering looks MUCH nicer. I know that it is TBD, but i'd really like to know how the tails functions when they are returned from their upgrade. Also, wasn't there someone that stuck a bunch of trailer lights inside a set of 92/93 tails? Does anyone remember how that turned out?

Quick Reply: Bippu Garage LED Tails