SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I dont want my airbag... can I remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 05:56 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

This is almost as bad as that guy in the ES forum that wanted to disable his airbags because he thought they would destroy his hearing.
Old 07-12-07, 06:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
Damn Lance....You really hate Airbags.
Yes, I do. The Emperor is quite naked, and yet the public continues to drink the Kool-Aid. I find it distressing at best. If you read Dr. Evans comments, it really makes you angry. Things like this:

Originally Posted by Leonard Evans, PhD
If the United States had appointed safety officials disposed to consider safety belt laws, which soon became widespread in other countries after Australia’s 1971 success, many of the additional 300 000 Americans killed would have lived. The ideologically driven antitechnical lawyers directing US safety policy did not merely not support safety belt laws—they even denied the effectiveness of safety belts. One of the justifications Joan Claybrook (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration administrator, 1977–1980) offered to support mandating airbags was that their installation cost would be partially offset by cost savings from removing seat belts! In a 1983 television interview, Claybrook stated that airbags were “much better than seat belts” and that seat belts were “the most rejected technology we have.” By the early 1970s the technical literature documented that airbags could not approach the effectiveness of belts. Belts reduce driver fatality risk by 42%, airbags by 8%.
It is unconscionable to me that people like Claybrook made political decisions based on poor data that resulted in death and injury instead of doing the right thing by following the examples of other industrialized nations whose success is well documented.

I will go on record as saying I completely agree with the intent of "Click it or ticket" but I also believe laws like these interfere with natural selection. And while I would never ride a motorcycle without a helmet, I don't agree the government should tell me I must. I see it like this: If after seeing all the evidence supporting helmet use, you can still say, "I don't need to wear a helmet," then you probably don't need to wear a helmet. I feel exactly the same way about seatbelts.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-12-07 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 09:09 PM
mungrin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about all these after market steering wheels i see in peoples Scs?Arent the airbags missing in all of them?

Old 07-12-07, 09:14 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the record, I hate airbags as well. Everyone I know has been hurt more then helped by air bags, including myself. Oh except for my one buddy from miami. He says it saved his life because it kept him from going ALL the way out of the windshield. The dummy wasnt wearing a SEATBELT though ofcourse!
Old 07-12-07, 10:00 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

all of these "hurt more than helped" might be people who are lucky to be alive...

I'd rather have a few bruises and such than paralyzing or deadly whiplash or blunt force trauma to the head...

sure, if the airbag wasn't there, you might not have bruising, but you might not be alive either...

I believe if you examine true data in deadly or near fatal accidents, that airbags helped more times than they hurt...

I honestly don't care what ya do, it's your car - but I would be doubly sure no one else drives the car - if they were injured in an accident, and the airbag does not work, lawyers, no matter how close a friend they are, would tear you apart...
Old 07-12-07, 10:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
all of these "hurt more than helped" might be people who are lucky to be alive...

I'd rather have a few bruises and such than paralyzing or deadly whiplash or blunt force trauma to the head...

sure, if the airbag wasn't there, you might not have bruising, but you might not be alive either...

I believe if you examine true data in deadly or near fatal accidents, that airbags helped more times than they hurt...
The statisticians at Georgia Tech DID examine ALL the data, not just the FARS fatal subset. ALL the data.
No, if these people didn't die with the airbags, they were even LESS likely to die without them ASSUMING they wore seatbelts. That was the whole point of their study. You are statistically MORE AT RISK of injury or death with airbags than with seatbelts alone. NHTSA even agrees the study is properly constructed, but does not agree with using the broader accident database and believes the FARS database (a subset of the full data available) is a better representation of accident history. BTW, if you don't wear seatbelts, you get what you deserve, and maybe you'll get out of my genepool before you breed.

Also, an airbag does absolutely ZERO to prevent whiplash. Your seat design and headrest integrity are what help you in a street vehicle, not the airbag. You get whiplash from the backward motion, not the forward motion.