SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 sc300 or 90 nissan 300zx??? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-01, 01:51 PM
neo_tran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at a bunch of cars before i bought the sc. I test drove a '92 300zx N/A with 100K and a salvaged title. I don't know which one is faster but i can tell you what it felt like inside.

The SC is definitely faster, smoother, and quieter. He was selling his for $5500. I didn't like the engine on that car. The SC felt like a better and more reliable engine. The looks is the only thing i like about the 300ZX. Besides that, i'll pick the SC anytime, anyday.

Statistics doesn't really show anything. Yeah, 300ZX are probably faster when it was first built. But what about 9 years later? We should do dyno tests on the current cars and not take statistics done years ago.

IMO, lexus kept up with the horsepower/torque over the years while 300zx lost it somewhere down the line.
Old 12-08-01, 01:56 PM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

Not the ES300... perhaps he was saying the SC...
Old 12-08-01, 02:29 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by neo_tran
I was looking at a bunch of cars before i bought the sc. I test drove a '92 300zx N/A with 100K and a salvaged title. I don't know which one is faster but i can tell you what it felt like inside.

The SC is definitely faster, smoother, and quieter. He was selling his for $5500. I didn't like the engine on that car. The SC felt like a better and more reliable engine. The looks is the only thing i like about the 300ZX. Besides that, i'll pick the SC anytime, anyday.

Statistics doesn't really show anything. Yeah, 300ZX are probably faster when it was first built. But what about 9 years later? We should do dyno tests on the current cars and not take statistics done years ago.

IMO, lexus kept up with the horsepower/torque over the years while 300zx lost it somewhere down the line.
Stats DO show the AVERAGE or POTENTIAL of a car, based on TESTING for a car/product...

***Stats are GUIDELINES to assist in comparing like products/cars...

As for saying that we should compare cars 9 years later.. You will have to now based the car on the owners up keep, conditioning, wear and tear, kid drivers, etc... As we know more younger and boy racers have 300ZX so they are more likely to be abused... As are most older used true sports cars... Give the SC3 a few years with this racing/turbo phase our SC3 is going to be the same way in trying to find a good used SC3.

If you do not want to take stats from years ago since the car had NOT been made since 96. ?How do you compare the two then... GO BY WORD of MOUTH on a Lexus SC forum or should we go to a 300ZX forum? To get TRUE NONBIAS FACTS not assuming by the seat of the pants results WE MUST USE THE STATISTICS given and recorded... It is soooooooooooo funny how persons like to change the facts or RULES when it comes to our cars, teams, trucks, family, ourself, etc..

If a person has NOT owned a Z or has NOT spent quality time in the car, how can a person truly speak on the actual FACTS about the car? Without STATISTICS?

How can YOU say that the ZX lost hp/tq down the line and Lexus SC3 kept it?:eek: With out seeing figures/dyno of more than 3 WELL condition STOCK ZX to see the wear and tear of the car.. It would have to be a true comparison of the drive train... Based on similar service of the cars SC3 vs ZX..

Hell, a SC3 can have a higher dyno than a 944 Turbo or RX7.. Does that make the SC3 faster? NO not buy a long shot, they are faster than ANY Lexus...

***Here is a helpful tip... Don't just spit out FICTION without merit and FACTS..

A ZX is a true sports car and a SC3 or SC4 is not... Why can't we just come to grips with that?

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-08-01 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-08-01, 03:58 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Angry Forget Nissan go Lexus..

If you want a car that will last long and not have problems with its company going bankrupt get the SC300.I have tryed the 300ZX many time and i can tell you it feels like a poor man sports car because of the poor interior and crap seats but the SC is more refined (heavyer) and feels like a rich mans car.0-60 time dont mean crap when you buy a car anyways its all about cost and driver comfort.IMHO the SC300 is a 200 times better buy then a 300ZX.If you dont care about long term value and want a sprots car get the 300ZX its a real sports car(yes Ikon it is).

And btw it can be fast with a Turbo kit and also easy to fix urself unlike the 300zx wich has one hell of a cramped engine bay.Why compare these two car anyways they are not exactly the same class.

I fixed this post just for you Ikon..

Last edited by CamryRR; 12-08-01 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-08-01, 04:34 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Forget Nissan go Lexus..

Originally posted by CamryRR
I have tryed the 300ZX many time and i can tell you it feals like a poor man sport car but the SC is more refined and feels like a rich mans car.0-60 time dont mean crap when you buy a car anyways its all about cost and driver comfort.IMHO the SC300 is a 200times better buy then a 300ZX.

And btw it can be fast with a Turbo kit and also easy to fix urself unlike the 300zx wich has one hell of a cramped engine bay.
"Tried" not owned... Tried, does that mean a drive around the corner or something? 1st off I had less problems in my ZX than my SC4... The engine bay is cramped, but a manual is all you need... The parts were/are cheaper or same as my SC.. The labor is cheaper...

***If the 300ZX is a poor man's sports car why did M/T compare it with the SC3?

0 - 60, 1/4 times,slalom, lat acc, 0 -100 - 0 times DO mean something when YOU are looking for a SPORTS CAR... The fast comments where brought up so it has to be debated fairly..

A 300ZX is as refined and more refined than many sport cars, 968/944, Vette, RX7, 3000 GT VR4, Stealth, SC3, Supra... That's why it got the awards every year and they did not.. Can you dispute that? With facts? The same price range and DIRECT competitors with the ZX.. I guess these are poor man's cars too. You know they say that a GS is a poor man's BMW 5 Series... Is that true too?

:eek: Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, a 300ZX feels like a poor man's sports car!!! You crack me up!!! You must be related to Bernie Mack or Seinfield!!!

This is want I meant by people trying to down play a vehicle if it is not a Toyota/Lexus. Wow is this an adult forum or a kid's forum?
We might as well start debating WITHOUT facts these things... My Dad is stronger than your's!!! My Dad has bigger muscles than yours! My car is better than your's because we have a "L" on the front! A Lexus is the fastest car on the road! No other car is better regardless of the facts than a Lexus... We don't need facts we drive Lexus!

The SC is a luxury coupe PERIOD not a SPORTS car!!!

"A poor man's sports car..." with an ASININE comment like this....

YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK!!! GOODBYE!!!

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-08-01 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-08-01, 04:46 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Default Whatever there Ikon

Ok i gave my opinion and that was it if you dont like the fact that the 300zx is not a car i like and to me it feels cheap compared to any other car in its catagory.I believe the 300zx is not a dependable car and i would never recomend it to anybody.If you like the car so much why dont you **** and trade your Lex for one.Im not a die hard lexus fan either but i still think the SC300 is much better then the300zx.Anyways if you want to be lame why dont you go buy a Honda and get you dada to pay for it.If your going to be a little ***** go somewhere else and leave me alone.I dont like your attitude so if you want to be a *** go on the ricer forums and dont talk ****

Now this interior looks so amazing (i dont think so it looks cheap and you know it does)
BTW when your interior starts ratling like a POS dont come and cry on me

Last edited by CamryRR; 12-08-01 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-08-01, 05:20 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

In 1990 that was a fresh interior in a sports car!!! The ergonomisc ranked as the best in it's class... It was comfortable on long trips... It is a top handler and has true sports car PANACHE!!! I owned TWO... Wrecked one and we sold the ZX TT once I got married because of the limited space... Every one is entitled to his/her opinion, but state facts too...

Why am I responding to you anyway?

You have know credibility in this forum... If I'm bashed it will be from a SC or Lexus owner not an confused lil' guy...

Q: Hey, are you they guy that said hi CAMRY can go 160 MPH , hmmmmmm?

***https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1895#post111895

Q: Or that you they guy that ordered a IS3 hmmmmmmm? Where is it now?

***https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1431#post111431

Q: Now you are getting a GS3 turbo, hmmmmmmm? and you said he Supra is too expensive for a 21 year old, hmmmmmm? If a Supra cost to much then how in the hell are you going to turbo charge a GS3? errrrrrrrrrr You have to buy the car, buy the kit, labor for the kit, insurance for the car.. = more $$$ than a Supra!!!

***https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...9392#post139392

Q: You bought a SC4 with a friend, now you don't own it anymore, hmmmm? I know you could not make it fast enough right? No turbo kit or S/C it? I betcha with a S/C kit and Apexi S-AFC it can reach 200 MPH if your Camry can reach 160 MPH ?

...Now I see why you make such absurd comments... You have NO credibility here...

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

YOU HAVE BEEN KNOCKED OUT F#CK OUT!!!:eek:
Old 12-08-01, 05:49 PM
CamryRR
Rookie

Default Please dont be rude..

[
----Cause you think you know everything...

You have know credibility in this forum... If I'm bashed it will be from a SC or Lexus owner not an confused lil' guy...

---Its called a Apexi Rev speed meter and it remouves the governor--

I did not get it cause i could not afford it anymore i lost my job and it was crazy for insurance..

Q: Now you are getting a GS3 turbo, hmmmmmmm? and you said he Supra is too expensive for a 21 year old, hmmmmmm? If a Supra cost to much then how in the hell are you going to turbo charge a GS3? errrrrrrrrrr You have to buy the car, buy the kit, labor for the kit, insurance for the car.. = more $$$ than a Supra!!!

I can get the car for way cheaper then a supra that is very limited here in Quebec(32 TT in canada) 9000$ insurance is alot more then i can afford.I can get a gs300 1993 for 13 000$ and the engine/tranny and ecu for 4000$ and BTW i can do my own swap with the help of some of the nicer members of this forum.

Q: You bought a SC4 with a friend, now you don't own it anymore, hmmmm? I know you could not make it fast enough right? No turbo kit or S/C it? I betcha with a S/C kit and Apexi S-AFC it can reach 200 MPH if your Camry can reach 160 MPH ?

The sc400 is not what i want to waste my money on..

...Now I see why you make such absurd comments... You have NO credibility here...

YOU HAVE BEEN KNOCKED OUT F#CK OUT!!!:eek: [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow now that is some real good stuff you got there almost makes me think your actualy inteligent.I dont have to take your BS you know nothing about me our my car projects .BTW my Camry is not stock and i can tell you its more powerfull then your SC400.I did not come here to fight but you started by being a real *****.My car can probably hit 160MPH but i will never try it cause that is past the limit of my set of custum cams and fuel system( i have hit 154MPH with corrections made to my APEXI setings,also at 100% of injector capacity) .If you where smart you would just **** and leave me to my opinion instead of picking at me with your BS facts.If i wanted to talk about why i changed my mind on the Sc400 or IS300 i would not come here and talk to you. You give this forum a bad name with you rude comments ,you might have 1500 posts but that does not give you the right to be a ****.Its dumb people like you that scare away new memebers.If you would like to stop now and say sorry i will do the same but until then i will not come on this forum and waste my time for you.
Old 12-09-01, 12:41 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Please dont be rude..

[
----Cause you think you know everything...

---Its called a Apexi Rev speed meter and it remouves the governor--

I did not get it cause i could not afford it anymore i lost my job and it was crazy for insurance..

I can get the car for way cheaper then a supra that is very limited here in Quebec(32 TT in canada) 9000$ insurance is alot more then i can afford.I can get a gs300 1993 for 13 000$ and the engine/tranny and ecu for 4000$ and BTW i can do my own swap with the help of some of the nicer members of this forum.

The sc400 is not what i want to waste my money on..

YOU HAVE BEEN KNOCKED OUT F#CK OUT!!!:eek:
Wow now that is some real good stuff you got there almost makes me think your actualy inteligent.I dont have to take your BS you know nothing about me our my car projects .BTW my Camry is not stock and i can tell you its more powerfull then your SC400.I did not come here to fight but you started by being a real *****.My car can probably hit 160MPH but i will never try it cause that is past the limit of my set of custum cams and fuel system( i have hit 154MPH with corrections made to my APEXI setings,also at 100% of injector capacity) .If you where smart you would just **** and leave me to my opinion instead of picking at me with your BS facts.If i wanted to talk about why i changed my mind on the Sc400 or IS300 i would not come here and talk to you. You give this forum a bad name with you rude comments ,you might have 1500 posts but that does not give you the right to be a ****.Its dumb people like you that scare away new memebers.If you would like to stop now and say sorry i will do the same but until then i will not come on this forum and waste my time for you. [/B][/QUOTE] I will bet my left nut that you are full of it... I don't care about the # of post that a person has just the merit of their post. Don't wimp out on me know smart guy...

*** You started with the poor man's sports car comment first... Which is/was totally asinine...

***Secondly, you tried to come back with a pic of the ZX interior and tried to tell "The Ikon" to ****... And you have the nerve to say I'm rude... If you read my post I help EVERYONE I CAN... and I seek assistance too...

*** If it smells like ***** it probably is....... Your answers to my questions STINK:eek:... example... "The SC4 is not what I wanted to waste my money on."

Q: Then why in the hell did you buy it in the first place, hmmmmmmmmm? I don't care if you like the SC4 or SC3 or not... It is your choice... As for the insurance rates of a SC4 vs a 2000- or 01' IS3 the rates ARE higher in the SC4. How do I know you ask? Well here's why, the SC4 has 2 doors(more than 4 door auto), V8, faster, oem higher price car, more expensive parts... urrrrrr that would be the SC4.. I know because my friend neighbor bought his daughter one and her insurance WAS cheaper than his 96' SC4... As for the job I understand that it happens, good luck in finding another...

If you chose not to post on this site... It is your choice not mine... New members or old ones are treated with the same consideration and respect.

***Remember this lil' old question? "CAN YOU TAKE WHAT YOU DISH OUT?" if not... Don't attempt to come my way..

We can agree to disagree, but don't ever tell me to ****... I did not spit at you like that... Why should I say I'm sorry? We are men here my friend, not baby sitters...

We can disagree with out being overly disrespectful.. If I am(or ever been) to anyone check me on it, that is not(was) my intention...

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-09-01 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-09-01, 09:59 AM
CamryRR
Rookie

Cool

Well i can say im sorry for being rude myself , but i dont like when people try to shaft me cause they dont like me responce.I admit it was not a nice thing to say its a poor mans car, but its my opinion based on many test drives and the fact that the interior of the cars i tryed ratled.I dont know how insurance works in the states but here they go by age and type of vehicle ,for a 1994 sc400 it would cost me 3200$ a year and the 2001 IS300 is 4500$ .In my case this car is a little too expensive for the moment and for a1993 its 1800$ a year i can have a nice twin turbo GS that i plan on doing all the work myself.Anyways now that i sold the car to my friend i got some free cash and im still planning my GS300 project with the help of some members of this forum .

I hope you can leave this behind and just understand that my opinion might not always be the same as yours.BTW imsorry for any rude remarkes i made im my last posts.
Old 12-09-01, 10:13 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I hope you can leave this behind and just understand that my opinion might not always be the same as yours.BTW imsorry for any rude remarkes i made im my last posts.
No apology needed... This is a forum and we are all free to express our opinions...

Good luck in your future projects whatever they may be... I understand the need for extra cash...

The Ikon
Old 12-09-01, 02:04 PM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

u guys write too much, plz summarize nxt time wehn complaining about someone else on the forum
Old 12-09-01, 04:37 PM
neo_tran
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by The Ikon
Stats DO show the AVERAGE or POTENTIAL of a car, based on TESTING for a car/product...

***Stats are GUIDELINES to assist in comparing like products/cars...

As for saying that we should compare cars 9 years later.. You will have to now based the car on the owners up keep, conditioning, wear and tear, kid drivers, etc... As we know more younger and boy racers have 300ZX so they are more likely to be abused... As are most older used true sports cars... Give the SC3 a few years with this racing/turbo phase our SC3 is going to be the same way in trying to find a good used SC3.

If you do not want to take stats from years ago since the car had NOT been made since 96. ?How do you compare the two then... GO BY WORD of MOUTH on a Lexus SC forum or should we go to a 300ZX forum? To get TRUE NONBIAS FACTS not assuming by the seat of the pants results WE MUST USE THE STATISTICS given and recorded... It is soooooooooooo funny how persons like to change the facts or RULES when it comes to our cars, teams, trucks, family, ourself, etc..

If a person has NOT owned a Z or has NOT spent quality time in the car, how can a person truly speak on the actual FACTS about the car? Without STATISTICS?

How can YOU say that the ZX lost hp/tq down the line and Lexus SC3 kept it?:eek: With out seeing figures/dyno of more than 3 WELL condition STOCK ZX to see the wear and tear of the car.. It would have to be a true comparison of the drive train... Based on similar service of the cars SC3 vs ZX..

Hell, a SC3 can have a higher dyno than a 944 Turbo or RX7.. Does that make the SC3 faster? NO not buy a long shot, they are faster than ANY Lexus...

***Here is a helpful tip... Don't just spit out FICTION without merit and FACTS..

A ZX is a true sports car and a SC3 or SC4 is not... Why can't we just come to grips with that?

The Ikon
Damn, don't have to write a whole novel on that topic. Make it short next time cuz i don't have time to read that mang.

Of course stats do show the "AVERAGE or POTENTIAL of a car". But stats do not show real life experiences. I've stated clearly that i've tested one SC300 and one 300ZX. My opinions are based on it. I'm not saying all SC300's are better than all 300Zx's. I'm only stating what i felt during the test drive.

Once again, for people that likes to read alot. The SC300 that i bought was way better than the 300zx that i test drove. And NO, all sc300 are not better than all 300zx's.

I think it's "sooooo funny" that people bring up statistics from the past. Oh my car use to run so fast, blah blah blah. That was then this is now buddy. Yeah, that 300zx might have ran faster than the SC300 back in '92 but it's 2001. And no the results are not the same. You are absolutely correct. The owners who took care of the cars has a big factor in it. That's my point. The 300zx that i test drove might have had a bad history. The reason why i stated that it's a salvaged car.

Chill out bro, i'm only ragging on one bad 300zx out of many good ones. No matter what kinds of statistics you bring up, that 300zx is still a POS. And no, my test drive was not fiction it's a fact.
Old 12-09-01, 05:38 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car and Driver December 1994

0-60
SC300 6.8
300ZX 6.8

0-100
SC300 18.4
300ZX 18.7

0-130
SC300 42.8
300ZX 44.8

1/4
SC300 15.4@92
300ZX 15.3@92

Street start 5-60
SC300 7.2
300ZX 7.4

Curb weight
SC300 3532
300ZX 3412
Supra na 3320

Not exactly an *** whoopin'...

Braking 70-1
SC300 178
300ZX 177

skidpad
SC300 .84
300ZX .87
Supra na .92

lane change maneuver
SC300 59.9
300ZX 63.6
Supra na 64.3

I included the Supra skidpad #s just to show what some tires springs and shocks would do for the SC300 numbers. (Same platform) Anyone thinking the SC300 is not an excellent sports car platform needs their head examined.

The fact that Lexus chose crappy all season higher profile tires and less firm suspension is the ONLY reason the Lexus is not known as car with awesome handling. If you've ever gone for a ride in a Lexus SC300 with Supra suspension brakes and wheels, you know how GOOD this car can handle. 300ZX??!!!??? SO WHAT!

I'm also tired of hearing how great the M3 is handling wize, blah, blah, blah... Just ask anyone who has modded the SC300 suspension with shocks springs wheels, etc. Jeff's SC handles like a slot car. I'd love to see an M3 try to keep up with him on a road course. Car and Driver even gave the Supra a higher rating than the M3 in handling in this particular test.
Old 12-09-01, 07:57 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by neo_tran

Damn, don't have to write a whole novel on that topic. Make it short next time cuz i don't have time to read that mang.
You don't have to write a mini novel yourself new guy..

u guys write too much, plz summarize nxt time wehn complaining about someone else on the forum
We do... Just don't read it...

I included the Supra skidpad #s just to show what some tires springs and shocks would do for the SC300 numbers. (Same platform) Anyone thinking the SC300 is not an excellent sports car platform needs their head examined.
If we think that the SC3 or SC4 is a true sports car then think it... However the company that makes and marketed the SC series does not call or think of it as one... A person is entitled to call it what they want. A person can modify any car to hadle or out hadle another. I have a 65' VW that out handles(plus is faster than) many sports cars, but it is not a sports car.. It is still a Karmann Ghia.

I love our SC, but let us not bad mouth another brand for the sake of uplifting our car of choice. I still own my SC, enough said...

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-09-01 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 92 sc300 or 90 nissan 300zx??? HELP!!!