SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Minor lex damage...major record damage....DOH

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-01, 05:47 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minor lex damage...major record damage....DOH

Well just some minor damage. Front spoiler cracked. Rear rim scraped and bent. Front shock broken.

Oh ya...and this damage too...tickets...

Too fast for conditions/special hazard/limited visibility

Disregard stop sign

Elude police officer

Reckless driving: excessive speed, ran stop signs, elude police

Driving while intoxicated

Driving while suspended

BUT....in getting the eluding charge it gave me time to throw some things out of the car, to avoid much worse charges.

And I got out on bail.

Did you know that the average time to be booked into jail is 2hrs at every jail....EXCEPT in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale? It takes 20hrs in those places! Yay...20hrs in a holding cell...60deg, all concrete, no food. Yum. There were some interesting people in there tho...lol One dude was so scared of his charges that he actually crapped in his pants..he was renamed skidmark for the night. UGH!

So what happened you ask?

Driving up Rt. 1 North, headed back home. We'd been out on A1A and 1 racing various things (lightnings are quick trunks...not quick enough). Well I get to the tunnel in downtown Ft. Lauderdale, and decide to just floor it and make some noise (open wastegate in tunnel=LOUD). Well as I hit the bottom of the tunnel...in my right lane, there's two stopped police cars.

Well I brake hard and hop into the other lane. It must have seemed I was moving MUCH faster than I was, because the two cops jumped OVER their hoods since they thought they were gonna get hit. Well they didn't have anyone pulled over, they were just sitting there. By the time I got to the top of the tunnel, I couldn't see the cops anymore.

Well when I jumped lanes and hit brakes, there was a LOUD clank in the brakes. I decided to check it out. I turned right at the road before Las Olas. Then I turned right at a stopsign, and the pulled in this parking spot on the right to check my wheel. Well all the sudden I saw the blue flashing screaming up the road, so we chucked anything that was in the car into the yard on the other side of the bushes. No the stuff isn't there anymore...

Cop yells for me to get back in my car. Needless to say the other cop shows and the pull me outta the car, handcuff, etc, all the normal stuff. Of course there was half a 12-pack in the back, we were drinking them on the beach earlier. Well this being a zero tolerance city...it's DWI if you have any alcohol in your system when you receive a reckless ticket. Also handed them the wrong license....DOH....it was one of my suspended states.

Well they tow my car of course. So later when I get my car...lookee here...someone drove it 91 miles. The front airdam is broken. The right rear wheels is curbed. There's some kind of terrible rattle in the FR shock. But of course to even GET your car back, you MUST sign a paper that waives them of all damage. *****.

SR
Attached Thumbnails Minor lex damage...major record damage....DOH-mvc-466f.jpg  
Old 11-28-01, 05:51 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

It's hard to see in the pic...but the wheel and tire are scraped bad. Also the inside of the rim has a dent in a different place. Ugh.

Jeff....who's that cheap good lawyer y'all were talking about that you use to beat tickets?

SR
Attached Thumbnails Minor lex damage...major record damage....DOH-mvc-467f.jpg  
Old 11-28-01, 06:24 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't have enything to say about your reckless driving, but what the F#%$ is going on with 91 extra miles on the car and all those damage

Are you saying that they just can take any nice impounded car for joy ride and destroy other people property just for fun and don't have to pay for it.
Old 11-28-01, 06:34 PM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

god, why do bad things happen to good people? oh, dont drink and drive. If I were you, I would give your car over to me, and just start over knowing that you dont have to worry about fixing up your beat up car.
Old 11-28-01, 07:30 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Well, being an EMT, I was going to yell at you for drinking and driving, but upon seeing that they ****ed you by driving the car 91 miles and messing it up...I guess I'll keep my mouth shut, because they both suck...:eek:

I'm not sure if I would persue this any farther, in my opinion. I would probably let it go. Pay your fines and walk away. If you try to talk to them about how your car got tossed up, they will buttrape you with no lube...
Old 11-29-01, 12:20 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Angry

oh jeez, 91 extra miles huh? i agree with mat, but then again, it's your baby that went for a joy ride and got all banged up. screw them!
Old 11-29-01, 01:04 AM
black sc
Pole Position

I've had friends and heard of friends' cars being impounded.

Don't know about Florida In Cali, the impound not only relinqueshes all responsibility but, they steal stuff from inside the cars they impound. I've been told.

My bro's car got impounded for speeding once and it not only costed a bundle due, to the impound company charging on a daily rate/per day. The impound company also will not release your car over a certain minimum amount of weeks even, if you want to get it back the next day or next week after it has been impounded. Anyways, getting back to the story. My bro had to pay a bundle of money for the impound only, to find a huge dent and scratch about a foot long on the bottom of the driver's door of his Bimmer.

How these impound companies get away with it and the law lets them. I have no idea! Sounds like a alliance of some sort between cops and the tow companies.

Sorry, to hear your misfortune in Fla, ComputerWiz. You maybe can get them in small claims but, don't think you wanna go back down South after this. Let us know what happens.

Last edited by black sc; 11-29-01 at 01:08 AM.
Old 11-29-01, 06:28 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Black sc....we LIVE in Fl now. I was already thinking small claims court. I'm also thinking about buy ad-space on a billboard, and in a few short lines say what happened to my car, and what towing company it was. I'd say the business lost and the trouble it'd cause them would be well worth the $2k for a month on a billboard. lol

And as for d&d, well I wasn't drunk, WAY below the legal limit (.03) but being a zero tolerance city....you get charged for it if you get any other violations.

Matt... wish I could pay fines and walk away...I'm betting the judge will give me a few days inside if I just try to not fight it. Having a few dayd in jail on your record isn't the best thing when you work in the finance industry a lot...

SR
Old 11-29-01, 06:20 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

U dumbass, u shoulda ran, god thatd be fun in ur car :P and u shouldnt of drank and driven (proper english?, or is it drove)
anyways thats bull****, id take them to court, even if it is in there favor to get away with it. as for making you sign the waiver to get your car back, I assume they let you look at the car before you signed the waiver? If not you should be able to use that in court and win, and if they did, well I dont know what to say. There has to be something you can do about the 90 extra miles though, that has to be fightable....... I thinkyou should take em to court, but thats just me. I also think that if you get a really agressive lawyer, whos angry and yells alot, well I can almost guarentee that if he went in there and yelled at whoevers in charge and told them how much **** they were in that theyd settle. Also a little white lie like saying that the car was in the shop earlier that day, and they have record of the miles, (and the cops at the scene SHOULD atest (is that a word?) that the damage was not there), although was it impounded by the police, or a towing company? If it was by the police, you may have a little bigger problem. Anyways my 2 cents

Jason
Old 11-30-01, 04:41 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you fight it in court, remember this: you must be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that "they" caused the problems on your car. i.e. you basically need pics from the day before showing no damage, or it won't fly in court. Plus, the 90 miles; unless its documented - the meilage written down prior to towing, and the meilage documented at the time of release. Judges don't like to HEAR complaints, they like to SEE them documented.

A good attorney will be able to drop the DUI charge; reguardless of city laws. It'll cost you, but they can keep your record clean. As long as your BAL was truley under .08. Any prior offences - a clean record will usually stay clean wirh a good defense.

What was the total cost of the damage estimated at. Your attorney will most likely go after you own insurance company to cover the damages and hopefull use the Florida "No Fault" rule to get it fixed w/o a deductable.

Good luck man.
Keith
Old 11-30-01, 06:24 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Keith13b
i.e. you basically need pics from the day before showing no damage, or it won't fly in court. Plus, the 90 miles; unless its documented - the meilage written down prior to towing, and the meilage documented at the time of release. Judges don't like to HEAR complaints, they like to SEE them documented.

What was the total cost of the damage estimated at. Your attorney will most likely go after you own insurance company to cover the damages and hopefull use the Florida "No Fault" rule to get it fixed w/o a deductable.

Good luck man.
Actually I do have digital pics (showing date and time) from EARLIER that day showing no damage. I washed the car and took pics of it sitting at the beach. Then I have pics from the towing yard before I got it back, showing the damage. I also took a pic of the second odometer clock showing the mileage, and took a followup showing the car was still in the wrecker yard.

Heh...claim to insurance...heh...heh. Oh ya, I don't have insurance. That's right, I got cancelled. DOH!

SR
Old 11-30-01, 06:44 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

ARGH....Every time I look the car over, I find something else. Here's the right sideskirt.

SR
Attached Thumbnails Minor lex damage...major record damage....DOH-mvc-472s.jpg  
Old 11-30-01, 07:00 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I'd call up Johnny Cochrane right now
Old 11-30-01, 07:12 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Bean
Yeah I'd call up Johnny Cochrane right now
He's busy becoming a senator or some *****. I think I'll just put a big ol sign on the wrecker yard that says "Pentagon 2" and wait for the taliban to find out.

SR
Old 11-30-01, 07:15 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

lol

Quick Reply: Minor lex damage...major record damage....DOH