SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC/Soarer Family

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 06:30 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cannonbear
Very well said. I shortened the quote for space constraint but i agree with what you wrote. I do think people sometimes have the wrong notion of "cool" and what's not. I bought my SC for it's looks and comfort, and now i hear a friend of a friend is getting an SC so he can turbo it and make it a drift car

Some people do need the nudge in the right direction, others know what does work and what won't. i made some mistakes when i had my GS (LMS blackwood kit was crap, single exhaust on a v8 was loud, too loud) but i had to do that to see what would work and what wouldn't. if someone would have said "don't do it, it'll look like crap" i still would have done it just to do it. i learned now and since i've been moddin cars for the past 8 years i know what i like and what works for me.

The SC is the next 240 and that does suck big time, i'd hate to get profiled now because someone picks up a 92 SC for 4k and rices it out, bringing more attention to my car in the process. i bought a lexus to get away from that.
I totally agree with you 100%.

PPL got mad at me for making that statement about the SC being the next 240. Sad but true because it IS the next damn 240. I got the SC for the same exact reasons you did. It was my favorite car in high school and college. Now that I have one and built it, we have newbies who start threads with "New to forums, want to swap motor" without appreciating the beauty of our cars.

I then talk about wanting to sell my car now because of the recent jump in popularity and i get random PMs from these young newbies stating "who the fudge are you to say the drift scene ruined the car blah blah. I can get the car and swap if i feel like it." obviously our statements have pushed a few buttons with the truth.
Old 03-07-06, 11:02 AM
Koma

I hope we all keep our cars through this FF3 fiasco.
Just because our cars will become popular doesn't mean we can't still love our cars.
Old 03-07-06, 12:22 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kaotiq
I then talk about wanting to sell my car now because of the recent jump in popularity and i get random PMs from these young newbies stating "who the fudge are you to say the drift scene ruined the car blah blah. I can get the car and swap if i feel like it." obviously our statements have pushed a few buttons with the truth.
They pm you saying those things because they know it is true but will never admit it.

Just face it.

Young kids watch D1 drift, see Ueno pull that rear end out like that and start to ask questions. Next thing you know he gets an SC and starts a newb thread asking where to get a 1jz.

^ let's call that the Ueno-factor from now on.

Anyway, I just hope we can all tastefully modify our SC, regardless of the Ueno-factor.
Old 03-07-06, 12:50 PM
cip
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kudo's to those here who have patience and humility that can separate the wheat from the weeds and respond thoughtfully to questions and opinions and stay out of what will only incite others.

I very much appreciate the mods coming in when needed. There are plenty of other vulgar forums. This has to be one of the most tastefully moderated forums on the web. This thread itself was to encourage camaraderie (if you don't know what that means...look it up, the internet is your friend: http://www2.merriam-webster.com/cgi-...va=camaraderie) and it still gets heated

Hey more power to whoever seeks to modify their cars. And if they want opinions they should be ready to get 'em!! Before I joined this site I was pretty excited to mod my car... but ya know say in another 5 - 10 years, if I keep mine stock it will be one of the few and will be more desirable.

Guys keep in mind there were only a little more 100,000 SC's produced. Take that limited number and factor in that many have been totalled/parted out or modded, there will be fewer & fewer good one's that are available.

The good thing is these cars were built to enjoy for many, many years, so take it down a notch & enjoy the ride!

Peace.
-Cip
Old 03-07-06, 12:59 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
RCJ51 or whatever always had a problem with having a smart attitude and untasteful humor on these forums. Esp in the thread I made when I got into my accident. So it isnt just about Chino hating him nor anyone else. You weren't exposed to some unkindly events on the forums, so who are you to talk out of spite?

And im very sorry, but I would guarantee that more people would think a tastefully modified car is alot more " beautiful, classy and a luxury car" then your stock SC. You're also speaking out against more then half of the members on these forums who are enthusiasts.

Which reminds me, if you don't like modified SC's why are you planning to modify yours?

"Stock for now, but stay tuned!"

So im the only one thats ballsy enough to call it? I really dont understand your logic especially when im the only one stating my opinon instead of shunning away.

But really mongoose, I have nothing against you, but you either have some serious hyprocritcal problems or you just want to stir up a pointless flame. Either way, I will still express my opinon- good or bad. Maybe you're just bitter that you have a stocker? Nonetheless they all say jealousy and anger go hand in hand.
He hardly had any distasteful humor in your thread. The only joke he made was one that you didn't get about the spare tire.
Originally Posted by VJ RC51
you def need to get some upgraded rims if u can afford it.

Yellow rims are soo 1990s....
To which you responded:

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Its called a spare tire idiot.
and FYI i already bought wheels/tires if you cant read in my original post.

And your car is soooo 1990s
It's not that I don't like modified SCs. As you mentioned, I plan to work on mine. However, I don't like it when people modify their car to the point where it's not even keeping the car's original theme. Unlike alot of the board members, who I'll flat out say are the ones degrading the image of the SC, I have conservative tastes. Body kits, IMO poorly fitting, over sized wheels with stretched tires, Lambo doors, crazy paint jobs, stickers, and other modifications along the same lines aren't my style. If I do any cosmetic upgrades to my car, they'll be the subtle factory pieces from the newer models- the way Lexus intended it to be. I prefer upgrades that don't outwardly scream "LOOK AT ME!!!"

Here's an example: Ask the members who owns their favorite car on the board. A majority of them will propbably say that they love StreetKing's '97. It doesn't run super low offsets with stretched tires, sport a body kit that completely changes the car's lines, or have a loud paint job. No, it's actually more subtle and that's what I'm about. Sure, he's got an extremely modified engine, but other than the wheels, you wouldn't think anything more of it than a stock bodied car.
Old 03-07-06, 01:42 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think theres a difference between something being "not your taste" and just plain "bad taste" or "tasteless". I see plenty of SC's that are not my taste, and thats just what it is, not my taste. Then there are others that are just out there, like they came from another planet (Thank God not to the extent of Civics or 240's). They dont even look like SC's anymore. If you dont like the way an SC looks than why buy one??? It's like women, there are some that you think are beautiful and are not my type and vise versa, but some are just plain ugly. If someone posts a pic up of chick that looks like my butt, expect to hear lots of opinions about it, its human nature.
Old 03-07-06, 01:59 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kaotiq
Whats funny is those same newbies with dreams of turboing never will. they'll talk about the GTE swap, or the 1JZ stuff. they'll buy the body kit and wheels and talk about how now they're ready for boost but they'll never do it. it's the same folks who had integras and civics and want to swap in the type r engine but they never do, and the same folsk who bought 240's and wanted the SR swap. dreams are bigger then the lifestyle sometimes and alot of people, young and old don't know when to say when.

edit- also in response to more moderator involvement, it's a double edged thing really. you get mods coming in to break up an argument between members over something that went off topic, fine and well (my comments and the other fellow's in the m3 lip spoiler thread), but then where's the line where discussion becomes arguing? is that something that should be even needed? i don't really see that in the other CL forums.

if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all doesn't always work, i think you can have an opposing opinion and be able to say it, but there's a fine area between opinion and outright flaming.

Last edited by Cannonbear; 03-07-06 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 02:28 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
as for the comment on VJRC51..... there has been a lot of times where his threads and comments have gotten sour, but sometimes its just better to walk away, and ignore.
i wouldnt call him a vet... he is still new to the scene
I strongly agree with you Ki_Soarer. I too have found some of his comments/threads to be somewhat inappropriate. Since you say he is still new to the scene I will just ignore his negative comments by not replying to them at all. We are a great forum and we should continue to keep it that way. Ive been on a couple of other forums besides this one and let me just say this, none of them can compare to ClubLexus. I really like this Club. I dont consider myself to be a ClubLexus Veteran but I do know a great deal of info about the SCs from research or personal experiences. I am more than willing to help out any member without jumping all over them yelling "search". I know there are a group of members here on ClubLexus who can vouch for me. Like it was mentioned in the begining, its best that we give the new guys a gentle push into the right direction. Anyway I give this thread a 10 . Should be a sticky. Alot of newbies and Vets could definetly benefit from this piece of info.
Old 03-07-06, 02:58 PM
SWSC400
Lead Lap

I think Koma started a great thread , only trouble is I think it should have been closed and made a sticky. I can't believe people singling out others in this thread and bashing them, that is gentleman, the sin of detraction...
Old 03-07-06, 03:23 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not completely sure I agree with everything thats been discussed here...

Personally, I can care less if the SC becomes the "so called" next 240...Why should I care what other people think of my car or how it might reflect on my self-image....My car drives smooth, runs strong and looks fantastic....It's been keeping me happy for 4 plus years and still going strong...Heck, it's been more reliable than any female I've been with....For that, I don't see myself selling my SC anytime in the near future....

As for the SC community, no matter how bad it might potentially get, we can always make the best out of every situation....We're here to educate, motivate and appreciate...

Last edited by One HoT; 03-07-06 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-07-06, 03:27 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by One HoT
I'm not completely sure I agree with everything thats been discussed here...

Personally, I can care less if the SC becomes the "so called" next 240...Why should I care what other people think of my car or how it might reflect on my self-image....My car drives smooth, runs strong and looks fantastic....It's been keeping me happy for 4 plus years and still going strong...Heck, it's been more reliable than any female I've been with....For that, I don't see myself selling my SC anytime in the near future....

As for the SC community, no matter how bad it might potentially get, we can always make the best out of every situation....We're here to educate, motivate and appreciate...
I'm with you D...SC FOR EVER CREW!
Old 03-07-06, 07:01 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
I'm with you D...SC FOR EVER CREW!
+1
This is gonna be my project car for a while. I mean for a real long while... partly because I'm poor and partly because I research alot before slapping something on the car.
Old 03-08-06, 05:05 PM
sc lova
Driver School Candidate

can a toyota mr2 join the party?
Old 03-08-06, 06:35 PM
supra_trd
Driver

Very interesting thread. Let me get myself a coke, popcorn, and buckle up & enjoy the show.
Old 03-08-06, 07:28 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
+1
This is gonna be my project car for a while. I mean for a real long while... partly because I'm poor and partly because I research alot before slapping something on the car.
+1 mostly because I'm poor though

Quick Reply: SC/Soarer Family