SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Program 94 SC 400 key

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 10:34 AM
APerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Program 94 SC 400 key

Can anyone give me instructions to program a 1994 SC 400 key to un/lock the doors?
Old 12-19-05, 10:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by APerk
Can anyone give me instructions to program a 1994 SC 400 key to un/lock the doors?

Sure, it's easy.

1) Take the key in your hand. Use the hand you're most comfortable with (left hand if you're left handed, right hand if you're right handed).

2) Approach the car slowly, extend your hand with the key in it towards the keyhole

3) Slow down as you approach the keyhole so not as to miss the hole and scratch your paint. Insert key into driver's side keyhole.

4) Rotate the key base with your hand clockwise.

5) Done! THe car should be unlocked and you should be able to enter the car!
Old 12-19-05, 10:42 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Just kidding of course, did you try to search for the answer posted in this forum? I'll take a look for you.

First I searched for 'program instructions key' in the SC forum using advanced search
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...earchid=395346 it led me here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...structions+key

which has a link to what I think is your answer
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=remote

Oh, and welcome to ClubLexus
Old 12-19-05, 10:54 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Welcome to Club Lexus, enjoy your stay!
Old 12-19-05, 11:46 AM
APerk
Driver School Candidate

Default You are too bad!

Just kidding. I can take a joke . . . as long as you follow it with some helpful information. I had already checked out the links you sent me to but I do not think they are what I need. The key itself needs programming, there is no key fob. I will however try these instructions on the key I have to see, but so far I have been told it can not be done.

BTW, I accidentally clicked on the red exclamation point trying to respond to your comment - sorry. If I have put a bad mark on your reputation please tell me how to fix it.
Old 12-19-05, 12:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

No problem, we don't have rep turned on here on CL. It gets abused on every forum I've seen it enabled on.

So - it's not the remote fob, its the key itself?
Old 12-19-05, 12:13 PM
APerk
Driver School Candidate

Default In-key remote

Just read all the way through the links you sent. I think it called the in-key remote.
Old 12-19-05, 12:14 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Default LOL that was funny

Had to laugh so hard reading that post
Old 12-19-05, 06:04 PM
APerk
Driver School Candidate

Default Does NOT work on 1994

I have tried all these directions. It is now my understanding tthat these are to program 1995 and later, I have a 1994 SC 400. I understand there was a major change between 1994 and 1995. Anyone know have the directions?
Old 12-19-05, 06:33 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are some info that I copied before for my SC Tech-Note selection. I hope this helps.
Let us know which step worked. Thanks.

How to program remote control (Keyless entry)
i programmed my remote to my car no problem, all it takes is the master key...

uhm, here's what i have on it...

Registaration of recognition code:

Follow the flow chart on the following page to register the transmitter recognition code with the wireless door lock ECU.

HINT:
- If the prescribed conditions are not enetered while registering the transmitter code, the wireless door lock ECU returns to normal operation.
- There are 4 modes: add mode, rewrite mode, confirmation mode, and erase mode; the mode to use is decided after the recognition code is registered.
- If a maximum of 4 recognition codes can be registered

Reference:
- The add mode is used to retain codes already registered while you register new recognition codes. However, if the number of registered codes exceeds 4 codes, previous registered codes are correspondingly erased in order, starting from the first registered code.
- The rewrite mode is used to erase all previous registered codes before registering new recognition codes. This mode is used when replacing the transmitter or wireless door lock ECU.
- The confirmation mode is for confirming how many recognition codes are already registered before you register additioned recognition codes.
- The erase mode is used to erase all registered modes and cancels the wireless door lock operates. Use this mode when the transmitter is lost.

Here's the actual process, it's complicated and it took me a couple of tries to do it right.

To begin with, the vehicle should be as follows
- The key is not inserted in the ignition key cylinder
- Driver's door is OPEN (other doors are CLOSED)
- Driver's door is UNLOCKED

1. Insert the key into the ignition key cylinder, then remove it.

2. Within 40 seconds: Using the door control switch (for manual operation) move the switch 5 times to LOCK/UNLOCK at approximately 1 second intervals (so in this step, hit the lock button on the driver's door, then the unlock button a second later, and repeat 5 times)

3. Close the driver's door, then open it

4. Repeat step 2, again within 40 seconds

5. Insert the key into the ignition cylinder

6. Turn the ignition switch (the key) from ON to LOCK at approximately 1 second intervals for 1 - 5 times, depending on which mode..

Add mode - 1 time
Rewrite mode - 2 times
Confirmation mode - 3 times
Erase mode - 5 times

7. Remove the key from the ignition key cylinder

8a. If add, rewrite, or erase mode have been selected:

The car should now lock and unlock the door itself, the number of times depending on which mode you selected. The number will be the same number you used to select the mode. So if you chose add, then the car will lock and unlock once, if you chose rewrite, then the car will lock and unlock twice...

8b. The car will lock/unlock itself at 2 second intervals for each set of code programmed into the car.

9. Press the transmitter switch for at least 1 second

10. The wireless door lock ECU automatically performs LOCK-UNLOCK once at a 1 second interval to inform the technician that it has received the signal from the transmitter

11. Close the driver's door, then open it.

12. Press the transmitter switch for at least 1 second

13. The car will LOCK-UNLOCK one or twice at 1 second intervals. If it LOCK-UNLOCK's once, then the it is completed. If it LOCK-UNLOCK's twice, then it has not been completed because the ECU didn't receive the same code from steps 9 and 12 or when selecting add mode, a recognition code indicating registration completed was already received.

In case it lock-unlock's twice, just go back to step 9 and keep trying

Now I know the directions look kinda whack, but it worked for me after a few tries...
jimmit. your SC came with the separate remote control (just like the one posted on the first post). you can buy them from ebay and program it. the key with remote control on it style doesn't work on pre-98 SC cars.

also, ES and LS remote controls are not compatible with SC remote although they look the same. make sure it is for SC.

I found this somewhere a while back....

BTW I have a 95 SC400 and this worked for me programming a remote master and a valet key.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the keyless entry doesn't work after putting in a new battery try reprogramming it as if it was a new key as follows:

Open driver door, keep it open and in the unlocked position
Put original key in ignition and pull out
Lock and Unlock the doors 5 times
Close the door and open the door
Lock and Unlock the doors another 5 times
Put the Master Key in the ignition, turn it on and then off and remove from the ignition
You should hear a confirmation beep within 10 seconds and the door locks should actuate
Push the button on the new key
Close the door and open the door
Push the button again on the new key

That should do it!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps.

Francisco

PS - SC400866, I think you got ripped. It took me like a minute to do this. I bought my keys through the group buy, but they told me they couldn't give me instructions on how to program but recommended I search on CL.
I bought a second "master key" and second "valet key". The master key is the one you can program and has the button for wireless entry. The valet key you also program but doesn't have a button because it only operates the ignition for valet as the name implies. I also have a wallet key which doesn't get programmed and only opens the doors.
Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hey, ILOVEGIRLS, I just finished programming my new keyless remote.

The door locks cycling indicates whether or not the programming was successful. One lock/unlock cycle indicates success. Two cycles indicates failure.

My new remote key came with some extra steps to be performed (in addition to the ones posted by Frankjc). Are you still having problems? If so, I can post the steps that came with my key?

I wonder if the programming steps vary with the year model? What year is your LS?

Last edited by techsc400; 12-19-05 at 06:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
twylie (06-30-23)
Old 12-19-05, 06:53 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just wondering....

Maybe I am mistaken but I think the keyless up to and including 94 (the original remote on key) was limited to the two original keys and you could only replace by swapping out the chip on the keyless/security ecu located in the fender on the passanger rear area.

Ran into this with my first coupe and had a really good alarm guy look at the schematics for that ecu for integration with an aftermarket alarm. Maybe you could add keys too that ecu, but I really, really, really doubt it.

Anyone know for certain?

Peter

PS: what does a link to a wileys coupe have to do with my post? CL, you guys not taking donations any longer?? I'll toss in some bucks to make the irrelevent links go away.

Last edited by 933005spd; 12-19-05 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-19-05, 09:40 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

My understanding was that 1992-1994 (with the remote in the key), had chips themselves wherever the remote transmitter was and you needed to purchase new keys (with remotes built-in) and chips to go in the car if you ever wanted to replace a remote. I didn't think there was a way to program a new remote for the car without replacing all of that.
Old 12-15-12, 02:42 PM
sidwin
Pole Position

Man my 99 sc 400 doesn't do anything after I do the lock unlock move.
Old 12-15-12, 10:09 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to the forum.

SC's didnt have a chip until 97 or 98. Follow Dave's steps on post #2
Old 12-16-12, 09:03 AM
sidwin
Pole Position

i got it... had to hit lock, unlock 5 each total of 10 clicks. had to becareful not to overheat actuator.

then noticed i had to hit both lock/unlock on remote.

Quick Reply: Program 94 SC 400 key