SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

PLEASE help me w/ radio.....PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-01, 10:59 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

How much should i expect to pay for the circled piece? For some reason, some of the presets dont work, there is nolor color or black #'s on the LCD screen, and i cant use the CD, AM (i only get FM stations),tape player, and the bass,treble,mid,fade,and balance (bal) don't even work. I believe something is very messed up. I have checked all the connections on the outside, but not to see it anything has ripped,etc. on the inside of it. If anyone has any ideas of what to do, please tell me. At parts.com...it says list price is around 1200, while they r selling it for around 1100. Is that too high?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
radio.bmp (24.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 07-21-01, 12:09 PM
claymax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio

MyLexus

Don't know if this helps but I had problems with my Nakamichi unit. I found the authorized Naka. repair shop in town. (Turns out they are an awesome little family run business. Advanced Electronics here in Lubbock, TX. Outstanding service whenever I've called or gone by.) Mine had what looked like hyroglyphics on the lcd display. The place is next door to our worthless local Lexus dealer, so they are familiar with them. He carefully wrote down what was on there and put a call into Nak. He said about 20% of the time they can fix them, but mostly they have to send them in. Mine had to go in. Said it would take about a month and run @ $250 to fix it. Seemed like they said this was the usual rate for Naka. to repair them, but am not positive. It's been about 3 weeks now, so I'll let you know how it comes out and the final price in about a week.

They said they'd replace my a/c lcd display bulbs for free when they put my deck back in since it's all in the same area. I just give them the parts. You just don't find places like this much anymore.

Old 07-21-01, 12:47 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

clay...thanks for the info. Luckily, it sounds lie ur problem was not nearly as bad as mine though. Nothing works except for the 1,3,and 6 preset, and the tune/seek button. I cant use my 12 disc. CD changer, AM radio, tape player, and the bass,treble,mid,fade,and balance (bal) dont work.:eek: :eek: :eek: . I am going to be soooo scared when i tell my mom what has happened b/c i know she will be really pissed but oh well...Im trying to find a used one. Is what I am looking for called the head unit?
Old 07-21-01, 01:00 PM
claymax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio problems

Yours could be more messed up than mine, but not a thing worked on mine, no power up or anything. Many companies charge a flat fee to repair their products. I figure that it costs Nakamichi about $250 cost to replace the guts of the unit. It may be they just use this price as an average or that they just repair/replace what needs to be done. But many firms do it for customer service. Sent Ray-Ban a pair of broken sunglasses, my receipt and $20 and I got a brand new pair of $150 shades. (it was my fault they broke and I told them that.) I've had similar experiences with Cincinatti Microwave and Alpine.

Anyway, not the solution you asked for, but an alternative. Truth is the decks go out for many reasons, mine was 9 years old so I guess it was tired out. Tell your mom it wasn't your fault and you've already found a cheaper alternative.

Old 07-22-01, 11:16 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Question used stock head unit....

The reg. Pioneer sound system in a 92 SC300 was a Pioneer Premium sound system w/ a 220 (or so) watt system w/ an 8 in. sub and 6 disc changer (in the trunk). The 1st owner of my car (im the 2nd ) got Lexus to upgrade the Premium Pioneer system to a 280 watt Pioneer upgrade w/ 10"sub and 12 disc changer (in the trunk). Its basically like the Nak. but w/ Pioneer speakers and a Pioneer head unit. Would the head unit of the regular Pioneer system probably work w/ mine? I am concerned that it might not, due to the 12 disc changer i have, instead of the 6 disc of the regular one. Does anyone have any insight....please help me.

Last edited by anthracitetarga; 07-23-01 at 11:53 AM.