SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What is a good price for this '92 SC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 07:50 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The work to do this is a little time consuming if you've never done it before, but it sure gave great satisfaction to have the car looking new on the inside and knowing I did it myself and knowing I save a ton of money. You and your son could do something like like and make a bonding experience.

Old 02-22-05, 05:16 AM
Hackman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sorka
The work to do this is a little time consuming if you've never done it before, but it sure gave great satisfaction to have the car looking new on the inside and knowing I did it myself and knowing I save a ton of money. You and your son could do something like like and make a bonding experience.
Very nice, Sorka! Did you completely replace the leather with a kit?

Although I can't find the thread now I had run across a list of items commonly needing repair on an SC and the cost to repair them. One of them was the leather on the seats and two different kits were listed at a cost of $600 each.
Old 02-22-05, 12:58 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Yes, I replaced all of the leather seating with a kit. Cut the old leather off with snips and hog ringed the new covers in place.

Follow the link in my first post above. It has a list of everything I did and how much it was. Look at the before pictures. The interior was one of the worst I'd ever seen. Afterwards, a number of people disagreedme when I said I thought it was a 95% restoration and instead they said they thought it was 98, 99, and even one said 100%. However, I knew of some the imperfections that weren't obvsious or not visible, so I stand by 95%.

My point being, if you find an SC that is great everywhere but the interior, you can, for very little money, restore it. It was actually a lot of fun to do.
Old 02-22-05, 01:14 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Fantastic looking interior Sorka!

It definitely brings the youth out of that SC with these new parts.

One question please. Were you able to fix the commonly known cracks around the A/C vents?

Jon

Yes, I replaced all of the leather seating with a kit. Cut the old leather off with snips and hog ringed the new covers in place.

Follow the link in my first post above. It has a list of everything I did and how much it was. Look at the before pictures. The interior was one of the worst I'd ever seen. Afterwards, a number of people disagreedme when I said I thought it was a 95% restoration and instead they said they thought it was 98, 99, and even one said 100%. However, I knew of some the imperfections that weren't obvsious or not visible, so I stand by 95%.

My point being, if you find an SC that is great everywhere but the interior, you can, for very little money, restore it. It was actually a lot of fun to do.
Old 02-22-05, 01:19 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

I knew you'd ask that

No, that was one of the few things that were not econmical. On that year, to get the center rigster is something like $700 because it only comes with the entire console piece. Even then it would have just broken again in a year. Thank goodness it isn't obvious unless you look for it.
Old 02-22-05, 01:28 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

I was just trying to figure out an inexpensive way to fix it. That's all.

Either way, that interior in your car really takes breaths away.

Jon

I knew you'd ask that

No, that was one of the few things that were not econmical. On that year, to get the center rigster is something like $700 because it only comes with the entire console piece. Even then it would have just broken again in a year. Thank goodness it isn't obvious unless you look for it.
Old 02-22-05, 01:56 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Thanks!

I thought about taking it out, jb welding it and then painting it a mat black.

The other thought is the polymer lithography is not very exenseive these days. I thought about removing it, having it scanned in, and then a slight modification to the model so that it wouldn't undergo the stree from expansion during heat exposure.
Old 02-22-05, 02:30 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

No problem.

Another idea I had was to use black silicon to fill up the gap, and then carefully blend the surface to mitigate the hardening/cracking problem.

But I lack the precision, skill, and time to do so. Perhaps I'll take it to a shop and see if they can suggest another type of compound to fill up the crack.

Jon

Thanks!

I thought about taking it out, jb welding it and then painting it a mat black.

The other thought is the polymer lithography is not very exenseive these days. I thought about removing it, having it scanned in, and then a slight modification to the model so that it wouldn't undergo the stree from expansion during heat exposure.