SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I'm tired of that same response!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 08:14 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my IS300 when people asked what I drove - I told them a Toyota.
People shouldn't care what I drive. I drive what I drive for me - not for someone else.

This weekend I did a bit of driving in the SC and I got plenty of looks.
Everyone wondered what was that black thing that just whizzed by me at 100mph.
The SC is a hell of a highway cruser.
Old 02-07-05, 09:04 AM
markesc
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

I can relate to what everyone else has said on here! The SC is great because it's not another "me-too" honda, and coming from driving an acura integra, there is nothing like not having to listen to a stupid exhaust tone everywhere you go places, and girls love these a lot more! It also doesn't fee like another mass produced cheapy car that almost all the new cars feel like today. I like the fact that the doors weight a ton, you actually feel safe in the SC. I'd say fix the basics, upgrade the lights to newer HID's with a true retrofit (not ghetto "kits"), add a 92-95 simple spoiler, and keep it clean and classy!

People seem to forget that these were 40-45k cars new in 1995, compared to new cars today, you have to spend a lot more than that to get a decent non fisher-price like interior. A friend at work bought a 2001 Bmw 3-series, lets just say the interior is far from impressive and it's another BMW that you see about 10x on the way to/from work or out n about. So to each their own, I'd much rather restore or upgrade, my SC than be trapped in carpayments and own another "me-too" car.

I love it when people say "oh it's a 1995 though, I see, how many miles on it???" then they: see the car, and always in a stupid tone: "that's a 1995 car!??" or they ride in it and are like: "wow this is so smooth..." Even the stock sound system in it sounds a lot better than some of these new junk cars that are massed produced.

Just my 2cents! Pic at Mt. Rainier Nat. Park, Summer 2004.

Attached Thumbnails I'm tired of that same response!-dsc08845small.jpg  
Old 02-07-05, 10:48 AM
Din
Lexus Champion

people alwasy ask me if my car is like 04 or 05 model.
Old 02-07-05, 11:57 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, co-worker of mine looked at my car, asked if i paid like 20K or 30K for mine and is it a 2000 model, when i told him its a 92 and i only paid 5K for it, he did not believe me.
Old 02-07-05, 12:18 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I get the question a lot and I just show them the car. I then tell them I spent less than they did in their Focus or Civic.

And if there are doubters, I just inform them of the $6k bluebook value.
Old 02-07-05, 01:20 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

people always ask i tell them i have a throwback lex. most of them dont believe its a 92.
Old 02-07-05, 10:48 PM
ambition
Rookie

Originally Posted by ot180
Im a 22 year old college student A couple months ago i got a 93 sc400. As all of you know any sc is a bad *** car. However, whenever people ask what i drive and I say a Lexus their face lights up like DAMN. Then what question is next? What year is it. When i tell them 93 they get this disappointed look like they feel sorry for me. What the hell? I would take my 93 over most of these other college student's 2001 Mazda or Chevy whatevers
lol im a 21 year old collega student rockin a 92 sc4.. peopl are retarded if you look at the syling of a 92 sc to the benzs of tyhe time imo the lexus looks way better... and "new" chevy cavialers, kias etc etc are gay.
Old 02-08-05, 12:16 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, seriously, I'm an 18 yr old college student and when I say Lexus they all respond with "damn your loaded" and then then like "oh" when I tell them it was a 93... Then when they see it they dont belive that it is that old. It does have the 97 up kit and IS wheels but not like they would know what that means. The mixed ractions that you can get for the sc!

I wish I could have gotten it for just 5 K! It was more than twice that with 110 K miles... but hey, I like it, it makes me happy, and thats all that matters to my parents! Hehe... becides its gunna last a lot longer than any other car out there and i'm keeping it forever... even if gas prices go to 7 dollars a gallon... she'll just live in the garage more
Old 02-08-05, 01:18 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cherplex
people always ask i tell them i have a throwback lex. most of them dont believe its a 92.
Throwback Lex! I like that
Old 02-09-05, 04:14 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When people ask what I drive I always say a little Toyota sports car. I have had too many people judge me for what I drive. When they do see what I drive they always ask, but I just say the Surpa is built on the same chassis, but without a hatch back.
Old 02-09-05, 06:05 AM
TimmyD
Rookie

I get the same responses with mine, people at work asking how I can afford a Lexus & another car plus my house.
The other response I get sick of is when I pop the hood. A lot of people ask how much it cost to swap the Supra engine into the car.
Old 02-09-05, 11:49 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah... In questioning things you dont know for certain, first ask a neutral question such as, what engine comes in these cars stock... then procede from there...
Old 02-09-05, 01:49 PM
Lexcalibre
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Judge not, lex you be schmoozed!

Young lady: "Gee what kind of car is this?"

Lexaholic: "Thanks for noticing. She's considered the rarest and most exotic Lexus ever crafted -- a two door Lexus Sport Coupe!"

Young lady: "What a pretty color -- what year is it?"

Lexaholic: "Not only is she sleek on the outside, but more importantly -- like you, she has the heart and soul of a lady. The Sports Coupe is precision engineered for performance, security and comfort -- all integrated into a work-of-art ride like no other. Lexus developed and enhanced this XXX (300 or 400) series for eight years beginning in early nineties. This 199x model is already considered one of the most desirable elegant classics in the luxury coupe world. I am blessed to have one!

Young lady: "She's georgeous!"

Lexaholic: "Very thougtful of you -- would you like to go for a ride so I can show off some neat stuff -- ever see a cupholder like this one? Vrrrroooooooooooooooom...