Deposit on SC sent, need NYC/NJ trans. advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-05, 08:14 AM
MyF355Spid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Deposit on SC sent, need NYC/NJ trans. advice

Well,
After all the pain and struggles, it looks like everything might just work out on this deal. My deposit has been accepted, and I have a flight booked to come pick up the car (1998 Platinum SC400), flying from Orlando to LaGuardia on Friday night.

Can someone give some advice as to how I should get from LGA to Teterboro area? I expect that a cab, while the most efficient will be over $50, and was wondering if anything else was plausible.

I have never been to NYC, so I don't know exactly what to expect with public transportation. If subway or bus would not take that much longer I might do that, but I can't figure out the routes.

My flight is supposed to arrive at 6PM and I won't have any checked luggage. Time, while not extremely critical, is a factor, because the seller is staying late to accomadate me.

I have booked a ticket on the Auto Train, leaving from Lorton, VA (outside Washington, DC) to get back to FL. I expect about a 4-5 hour drive. Can anyone confirm? Also, where would you guys reccommend staying the night, realizing that I need to be in Lorton around 1PM. Should I enjoy a night out in NYC, or leave ASAP?

Thanks again and I hope all continues to come together. I can't wait to finally get my hands on this car. I've been waiting on it for at least 4 months now!
Old 02-03-05, 10:32 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, let me be the first to say congratulations on your purchase!!!!!! You're gonna love the SC and in no time at all, you'll be addicted to CL like the rest of us!

1. Under no cicumstances should you take a cab from La Guardia to Teterboro!!! You could probably find a chartered airplane to do it for less!!!! My recommendation (especially you have no major luggage to bring) is to use the bus from Port Authority. NJ Transit runs a bus (the # 144) that runs right past Teterboro airport. If you need to go close to the airport that is by far your best bet. Cab from LAG to NYC, I believe is now a flat rate of $40.00 (now you can begin to see why I recommend not taking the cab all the way to Jersey!) and the bus is about $2.50 one-way. I work in NYC and have a client in Lodi, NJ. I take a bus from NYC to their office since I take the train from my house to work. One of the bus routes I can take is the 144 and it goes right past Teterboro!

2. If you don't need to be in VA until 1pm Saturday, spend the night around here. I myself wouldn't bring the SC into Manhattan. Too many potholes, bad drivers, and still a decent amount of snow piled on the sides of roads in a lot of areas. But going to and from work every day, I have seen a couple of SC drive by. But definately spend some time in the city!!! Especially if you have never been here!!! Enjoy!!!
Old 02-03-05, 10:06 PM
MyF355Spid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thought out reply. Everything is all set at this point...Phwew what a relief.
I am planning on taking the Express bus to the Port Authority station and the 161 bus to Teterboro airport. I'm headed to 430 Industrial Ave., so it should put me pretty close.

Still not sure, I think I might play it safe and head toward DC, and get to bed, poke around there in the morning. That will allow me to watch time closer without accounting for delays along I95. I also don't really know what to do in New York, and the weather, time and parking may be fairly prohibitive.
Any one else have thoughts? Maybe my title isn't attractive enough.

One thing I've noticed since I've been on here is that the gramatically and incorrectly spelled titles tend to draw the biggest crowds and vast replies, maybe that should be my new strategy
Old 02-03-05, 10:24 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

congrats on the purchase!! just be sure to come around to the local gathering at Orange and Collonial on sat. nights. i ahve been trying to get more SCs out. 2 weeks ago, there were 4 of us there. im time it will get better. and dont miss the show at old town on the 19th. more info in the southeast section. welcome to the family!!!!
Old 02-03-05, 11:09 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Do you have a hookup with a dealer?

I think that's the lot where the area dealers store their cars.