Should I be pleased or upset?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-05, 10:49 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I be pleased or upset?

Well fellas, it's times like this that makes me

I have a little brother, he's 19. Never had his own car mainly because he's never deserved one. He was supposed to get a job after high school, didn't happen...claimed he had no transportation. Okay, I can kinda understand that in Cali, you need a whip to survive to an extent. But the guy basically wasn't willing to go out and work for his, he wanted it given to him because all his little high school buddies in the valley were getting handed Escalades and F-350's. Our family is okay, but by no means rich. So the parents finally broke down and bought the little guy a car...well, guess what kind? Yup a Lexus...an SC to be exact...a 92 Royal Jade Pearl SC...Just like mine!!!!!!!!!

Now, should I be happy he's got a nice ride right off the bat, or should I be mad because I worked my way up to this car...from a damn 1979 Buick when I was 16 up until the clean SC (sorry Jose) that I have now. I don't think he appreciates it because it's not a 2001 or newer $40k vehicle like he thinks he deserves to be riding in. He's a good guy don't get me wrong, he's just like a lot of teenagers where he hasn't yet realized that life ain't like on tv for the most part, real people have to get up and get out and work for their's...nothing in this world is handed to you, he should be happy someone just handed him an SC, and SC like the one I had to work my rass off to get!!! I told him I'd be there to show him the light and help him with the car in any way I can...but for some reason I can just see it now, sometime in the future he crashes the damn thing and that'll be that. I hope that's not the case, this car may be a reason for my brother and I to get closer, but somtimes I just wonder where his head's at...he's never really appreciative of anything...
Old 01-18-05, 11:09 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

dont hate, congratulate!
Old 01-18-05, 11:12 AM
Koma

Well in the case that you can bond and hook up your SCs together is a good thing but that he doesn't realize that things are not given to you is a bad thing.
Technically I don't own my SC400, my father let's me drive it and I get to do some mods at his discretion. I plan to buy the vehicle from him one day. He paid nine grand for it.
So I'm sorta in the same boat as your brother because a car was handed to me but I do plan to repay my father. By the way I'm 18 and I attend college and work part time, so maybe I show more responsibility.
Maybe this way you could push your brother into getting a job because he's going to have to pay for gas and insurance, or maybe not? I don't pay insurance And be sure to tell him that the car he's driving is a precious car. We don't wanna see another wrecked SC. Like the recent one posted... ouch
Old 01-18-05, 11:15 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think you should be upset. Be proud that you worked for yours and congratulate that your brother has same good taste as you.

ditto on Aliga's statement.
Old 01-18-05, 11:38 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

i know how you feel man........but im glad that didnt happen to me.................heheheh
Old 01-18-05, 11:56 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are in the exact situation i am in but to a slightly lesser extent ... when i was 16 (im 19 now) i didnt have a car but i worked and found a great deal on a car after another year of working and saving. i sold my old car for a 2500 dollar profit and i then purchased my sc300(paid in cash), i have now saved up enough money to either do a turbo swap or buy a gs400/430 but my younger brother on the hand (17 yrs old almost 18) has never worked a day in his life and constantly complains to my parents about not having a car .... well my parents gave-in about 6 months ago (but they only bought him a late 80s pos accord not a sc3) and told him to get a job if he wants something better. My parents are by no means poor and could afford to buy me a 30k like alot of the younger guys on this board and nearly all my friends but my dad told me that a 5k car would be worth more to me than a 30k car he gave me. I have to agree with him because im extra careful with how i take care of my car (compared to my friends) to attempt to retain the cars value but what makes me mad is that he decided to give into my bro's laziness simply because he was tired of taking him to school. Im like wtf too man but i just hope my work ethic/goals vs. my bro's will pay off in the long run .... how old are u vs. your bro btw ?
LexusFiend

Last edited by LexusFiend; 01-18-05 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-18-05, 11:58 AM
AllBoutDaZ
Lead Lap

just be happy man
it is better for him to have gotten the Sc than for him to have gotten a jalopy
Old 01-18-05, 12:43 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusFiend
.... how old are u vs. your bro btw ?
LexusFiend
He's 19 and I'm 29. And I am happy for the kid but in the same breath I know how he is. I know he won't take care of it, I know he'll use the cheapest gas he can get, I know as soon as the car has an issue he'll park it and never look back. He's unappreciative as a ***** fellas, I mean the parents do EVERYTHING for this guy and all he does is complain. I moved out right before I turned 19, not because I had to but because I wanted to. I was ready, and I wanted my own shiznit. He looks like he's not going anywhere anytime soon. 19 and has no idea what the real world is like. In the 10 years I've been on my own I've NEVER once called out to my family and asked for help, to me that's weak. But this guy can't do anything without mommy and daddy basically doing it for him. I guess what it boils down to is I'm peeved that he was handed something that I worked for and he STILL doesn't appreciate it. They told me when they gave him the keys he walked outside, looked over the car, came back inside and got on the phone...then his boy with the Escalade on 22's came to scoop him up and they took off. **** didn't even want to take his car for a spin, car hasn't moved all weekend, what a young busta that guy is! I mean I love him to death but soon we're gonna box if he doesn't shape up and start being more appreciative.

And Gazi you know I ain't no hater! ha ha ha!
Old 01-18-05, 12:45 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Did he ask for an SC or your parents decided that for him? If he want it, then it means he looks up to his big brother, you guys have same great taste in the cars. If your parents decided for him, hopefully he will appreciate value of the car.
Take some pics of the cars together, we want pics.
Old 01-18-05, 01:12 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

my brother gave me his mkiv supra b/c he bought a acura 3.2 tl type s
i didn't really know what a great car i had until i crashed it w/ no insurance
fortunately i was able to get enough for the crashed supra plus a summers work for my current SC.
now i treat my SC better than my girl.. i have an obsession for the car..
point being, i don't think your brother will appreciate the car until he has no car.
Old 01-18-05, 01:13 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
He's 19 and I'm 29. And I am happy for the kid but in the same breath I know how he is. I know he won't take care of it, I know he'll use the cheapest gas he can get, I know as soon as the car has an issue he'll park it and never look back. He's unappreciative as a ***** fellas, I mean the parents do EVERYTHING for this guy and all he does is complain. I moved out right before I turned 19, not because I had to but because I wanted to. I was ready, and I wanted my own shiznit. He looks like he's not going anywhere anytime soon. 19 and has no idea what the real world is like. In the 10 years I've been on my own I've NEVER once called out to my family and asked for help, to me that's weak. But this guy can't do anything without mommy and daddy basically doing it for him. I guess what it boils down to is I'm peeved that he was handed something that I worked for and he STILL doesn't appreciate it. They told me when they gave him the keys he walked outside, looked over the car, came back inside and got on the phone...then his boy with the Escalade on 22's came to scoop him up and they took off. **** didn't even want to take his car for a spin, car hasn't moved all weekend, what a young busta that guy is! I mean I love him to death but soon we're gonna box if he doesn't shape up and start being more appreciative.

And Gazi you know I ain't no hater! ha ha ha!
Obviously doesn't know the power he has in those keys.
Old 01-18-05, 01:37 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

mike, im just busting your chops.

put him onto clublexus, so he may appreciate the car he has. school the yungin.
Old 01-18-05, 02:35 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

We all get this feeling at times.

But hey, family is family. And at least there's another RJG SC4 that's going to join us soon.

Take some time to show your little bro something he should know about his new ride. I am sure somewhere down the road, he's going to thank you for being a cool big bro.

Cheers

Jon
P.S. Are you going to the meet in Chino tonight?
Old 01-18-05, 02:40 PM
SwampFox
Rookie

How about this great idea? If you should ever need any spare parts for your car, you can "borrow" them from the baby brother's car.
Old 01-18-05, 02:46 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Dont be mad at your brother, if it bothers you talk to your parents and ask them why the discrepancie.

Plus chances are that he will wreck it within 3 months, not wihsing it on him mind you but the statistics are pretty clear when it comes to young / new drivers.

Quick Reply: Should I be pleased or upset?