SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HUMBLED by a GS400-dusted N disgusted

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-01, 09:55 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alass I had the worst car spanking in a long time tonight. W/my friend in the passenger seat..I had a
short and very brutal battle w/a gold GS400 w/gold rims
in the bay area.

WE didn't start at a light. I was making a left turn onto a road and he was makin a right. We were in the same rod after that(him in the right and me in the left.

BOY was it NOT that close.

I went as fast as I could to 90mph up that road....
That GS400 went FASTER than I did and kept pulling away. MAN it wasn't even close...

I would say it was AT LEAST 5-6 car lengths that the GS400 was at before it was all said and done.

Although I did slow up in the middle weary of cops..but it wouldn't have mattered much..I may have had gained a half a car length...whoopee.

I remember Muhammad from swift-racing warning me that at full throttle, the GS400 would dust my 93 SC4 REALLY bad. I had been toying w/GS4's around my way enough but never got beat this bad. I KNOW what he's talking about now.

No excuses. That car had no forced induction, no torque conveter..nothing. It was just that fast..stock.
and mine...that slow.

VERY humbling.

Whoever that was in the gold GS400. MY hat goes off to you. That is a FAST *****...

Anthracite SC.

Muhammad? Marken? You guys there?
HELP!!!

Old 04-25-01, 07:26 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

I doubt that would've happen if you had the 290 HP SC4 of '97 - '00 with your mods at all... I've been thinking about selling my '92 SC4 and acquiring a 97 or 98, but the $$$ or getting a newer model is not worth it for me I'm not a racer... I love speed on tap though...

What about a SCharger or getting on the bottle "Black"?

What is your 0-60, 1/4 times again anyway after the TC install? When toying with the other GSs from dead start, how did you do???
Old 04-25-01, 08:58 AM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default times

Hey Ikon,

From a cold start...I can jump and stay w/a GS400.
IF the driver isn't good..or is hesitant..I can jump ahead.

Even though I didn't have a cold start last night...I did slow up in the middle.
He wasn't catching me in the beginning. After I slowed down..he came back and pulled away..

After rethinking it, things might be different if I hadn't slowed down in the middle.

W/the torque converter, intake and exhaust..I run about 6 seconds on 0-60. On a really good launch...a bit lower.

I dunno about 1/4 mile times. Maybe not that much different than stock.

Yeah...supercharging is the option.

I too want a 97 and supercharge off of that car. that would be be best option..but I need things to happen for that to take place.

ANyhow..thanks for the post.

Anthracite SC
Old 04-25-01, 10:40 AM
lexlyf3
Rookie

HA....HA....HA....HA

Time to Supercharge!!!!
And regain your respect!

It won't be long before you can up the ante without ANY fear.

Marken.
http://www.swiftracing.com
Old 04-25-01, 11:25 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

Instead of buying a 97 or 98 you should just get the 300hp GS400 engine and trans. There is one on The PartsTrader.com for $8000. You get the engine, tranny, computer, and other needed stuff. It wouldn't be to hard to install if your car is already a 400, right??? Any thoughts on this???
Old 04-25-01, 11:47 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Have you ever thought of a Supra Motor? 2JZ-GTE ? If you're gonna do an engine swap.... might as well give it room for an easy 500hp...

Toan.
Old 04-25-01, 03:37 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Default Supra Swap

Would the supra swap be easy in a 400? I know some people on here have done it with a 300, would it work the same as 400? Thanks.

Phoenix
Old 04-25-01, 04:17 PM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Interesting thought....

In theory, the engine installation would be very similar... since the gearboxes are the same (yes the SC400 auto Gearbox will do up to 400hp with an oil cooler reliably). Only the engine mounts and the cost of getting a complete engine front cut of a supra is the problem. Than you have the wiring to plug in as well. I beleive most of the sensors are interchangeable. Just takes a bit of time.

Why doesnt anyone turbo the 4.0L engine? That might be a cheaper option than a complete engine swap? Twin turbo 4.0L. (did someone say HKS drag supra ) It's been proven time and time again that the quad cam 4.0 engine is pretty much bulletpoof. More so than the 2JZ-GTE. I've read in some spec sheets that the 4.0L quadcam is made out of TL1000 steel which lexus was probably manufacturing at a loss, this was to make the cars bulletproof reliable. Which is why there are still alot of 91, 92 SC's running around. The 1JZ-GTE in Soarers are also made of TL1000 steel which is why there are tons of early model soarers doing the rounds in Australia as well. I beleive the 2JZ-GTE used some form of cheaper steel to manufacture so that production wouldn't lose money. (it was only sold as a toyota and not a Lexus). I can see the Supra boys starting up right about now...

Anyways... I'm rambling.... (again). I'd love to see a turbocharger for the 400 model in the US. Turbo's sound way cooler than a Supercharger, are more fuel efficient and you got to love the sound of BOV's....

Cheers,

Toan.