SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

A/C problems, help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-01, 03:37 PM
FastSC300

hey all,

I think my A/C is toast, it does not work when I turn it on and it does not blow cold. I was told the AC has a switch that will not let it turn on if the coolant is low. I think that is what is happening and I remember it made some loud scraping noises early this winter. I have not used it because of the winter and it has been getting hot lately and my ***** are sweating bad now

Who should I go to BESIDES lexus who quoted me almost $3000 to fix this. I checked NOPI and they have a rebuilt AC compressor/condensor for sale that costs $276. Is this a good deal or does any one have any other thoughts of where I should buy one at.

Thanks all
Scot Hail
Old 04-13-01, 04:44 PM
reLEXin247
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem last november, I took it to my local mechanic whom I trust and he had to replace the condenser (had 2 leaks) and fix a leak on the top of my compressor. I think the new condenser was about 200 and the labor and freon recharge was about 400, but now it blows colder than it ever did. Good luck with yours, I know exactly what you're going through.
Old 04-14-01, 11:14 AM
1stLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have an autozone around there, they have a 134A leak detector "stick" also they have the 134A recharge cans and kit. If the compressor is not kicking on, recharge the system first, its easy just follow the ints. That should allow the compressor to start working, and then put in the leak detector to see if you have any leaks. If you find a leak take it to a shop and have it repaired, or just replace the part that is leaking.

this is assuming your compressor is good. If the compressor is bad it will lock-up and start smelling funny as it smokes the seals in it, and sends the trash through out your entire system.

If the compressor is toast, have a shop evac the system, replace the compressor, filter/drier, and then have the shop Flush the system (impt. don't skip or you will buy another compressor in a couple of months) then recharge.

If you can do the labor on swapping the parts, you will save a bunch of money! That is where the shops get you at. It looks like the compressor is easy to get at on the 6cyl. so it should not be hard to pull and replace.

good luck,