SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Run Flat report

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-01, 05:16 PM
Paul Hawker

Thumbs down

The run flat tires on the new SC 430's are terrible. First they arrived overinflated from the dealership. Driving home, the bumpy ride left a sour taste in my mouth. I had requested the run flats be changed when purchasing the $61,000 car, but was told that it was a take it or leave it because of the limited supply of cars. (They all came that way= NO CHOICE) The tires (now properly inflated to 33lbs.) hunt terribly over california freeway rain grooves. This causes a distracting left to right head shake which makes the car feel cheap. The warning light has come on twice (900 miles) and the dealer service rep claims he does not know what to do. The tires thump for the first 100 yards after sitting cold, and ride rough. They also squeel under moderate cornering with the fronts pushing badly on freeway on ramps. I cannot believe LEXUS would put such tires on this fantastic car. If anyone knows why please respond.
On a happier note the Navigation system is radical. If you get a chance to use it you will be delighted.
Old 04-11-01, 11:12 AM
mindflux
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear that. Better start thinking about getting new wheels and tires, unless it's a lease...hope this problem gets taken care off. It's a new model and I don't want people to start to hate the SC I know I love my old one and many others here do too. The new SC430 sounds like a sweet car I just hope that by putting this stupid option in those cars this doesn't discourage other buyers from purchasing the Sc model, 'cause then it will really be the death of the sport coupe.
Old 04-12-01, 11:16 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire

For the tire problem. I would suggest change the tire out and put a small dummy tire in the trunk just in case. I recommend Yokohama AVS dB. It does make 245 40 18
Old 04-13-01, 12:06 AM
exsilio

Default thanks for the report paul...

Your concern is my concern as I am trying figure out what I should do. A recommendation from a friend at work, and someone who is a serious driver is to try the Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position tires.

Here is a quote:

"The Potenza S-02 Pole Position is a max performance “summer” tire designed for high performance sports cars, sedans and coupes. It was developed to provide exceptional levels of wet and dry traction along with responsive and predictable handling. The Potenza S-02 Pole Position features Bridgestone’s UNI-T AQ (Ultimate Network of Intelligent Tire Technology, Advanced Quality) which uses tread compound and construction features to enhance performance and wet traction through the tire’s life. It is not intended to be used in snow. "

Please post any other reports on the tires. I find it interesting as well that Lexus would use tires that perform so badly. Do you think you have a bad set? Perhaps the dealership can wap out your run flats. Ask the service department to take them for a ride.

I would love to here any updates.