SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-01, 02:12 AM
Rictoven

Unhappy

Hi folks,

I’m new to this forum, and I thought a few of you could help me.

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 1993 SC400, with about 66.5K miles on the odometer. It has every option except for the Gold Package and Cell Phone. The problem(s) I know of, like the faulty steering pump is not scaring me away. However, this car, in particular has a few ‘concerns’, like a curious moonroof that pauses (stops actually) -when you close it [you have to depress the “close” switch again to continue the closure, - is this normal?], plus there is an annoying wind-noise from the moonroof (when the cover panel is open) at highway speeds. Also, there are several pebble-like dents on the hood (which my wife had not noticed until I pointed them out). Finally, the most perplexing ‘concern’ for me, is the rear speakers producing absolutely no sound!?

My wife is skeptical because the seller has offered us this vehicle in the low $14Ks, and she is concerned about the “inevitable” steering pump failure, which, to my knowledge, has not malfunctioned yet. As for the speaker problem, she insists this negates the value of having the Nakamichi, and is an indication that other things could be wrong with the vehicle. BTW, the seller says she’s tried to go in and check the speaker wiring, but she didn’t want to cause damage to the vehicle, by pulling out the ‘innards’ and such, especially when the other speakers give you more than satisfactory performance. I couldn’t disagree with that rationale, although it is something I would definitely look into.

The seller insists it is a clear title, not ‘auto salvaged’ or ‘reconditioned’. She says she is just trying to move the vehicle quickly [for reasons she went into]. The car drove magnificently, and the relatively low miles and the color of the vehicle motivate my wife and me. But we are still wary. Are there other ‘issues’ we should consider or know about this vehicle? Are the problems I stated above warning signs, like my wife suspects, or expensive / difficult items to repair?

-Ric
Old 04-08-01, 11:06 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those arent big problems...

The moonroof does take 2 pushes to close... That's normal. About the wind noise when the panel is open..... well... I'm not sure, I'd assume that the panel acts as sound insulation, so when the panel isnt there.... you get the noise?

About the rear speakers.... just go to any car audio place and have them check the wiring, it should be easy to fix (fuse blown for rear amp?).

But I'm thinking US$14k for a 93 spec is a bit high? For $14k it better be immaculate.... Is it from a dealer? with warranty?

Cheers,

Toan.

Old 04-08-01, 11:45 AM
XX400
Rookie

Default No Problem

I have a 95 sc400 when I purchased the car the rear speakers did not work either , both rear speakers were blown no biggie the dealer replaced them. The wind noise is normal from the moon roof, it also normal for it to stop have way.
Old 04-08-01, 02:22 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

XX400,
I have a 1992 SC300 and i know what u mean about the moonroof and the noise. It is normal for the moonroof to stop half way b/c it is a "safety feature" so no limbs will get pinched. Now, however, Lexus has put a mechanism on its new cars where the moonroof doesn't stop unless pressure is put on it. As for the wind noise, I do sumtimes have to close the shade panel but nothing to worry about there. As for the speakers, I can't help u there. i would recommend that (since u r buying this from a private seller) u should take it home for a day/night and get a good mechanic to look it over. My dad was looking at a 1998 Benz E-320 not too long ago and when we had a mechanic look it over, all the bolts and nut on the bottom were rusted. The mechanic told us that this was due to flooding and not to purchase the car. We were shocked b/c the private dealership had told us nothing was wrong w/ the Benz. Luckily, my dad went out and got a 99 Certified GS300
Old 04-08-01, 04:14 PM
soarergt

Default the SC

i have a 93 SC300 which was purchased used two years ago with 74k miles. the sunroof taking 2 clicks to close is normal and i do hear a wind noise when the sunroof cover is open sometimes. to stop the noise i just open and close the sunroof again and that usually stops the noise. pebble dents on the front are normal for an older SC...its impossible not to get them. i suggest writing down the VIN# and checking www.carfax.com. this way you can tell if the car has been salvaged, in accidents, etc...its a great source when buying a used car.
Old 04-08-01, 04:19 PM
Francis K
Racer

My sunroof on my 97' stops halfway as well.

Hey MyLexusSc300, I never got those stats, database crash deleted them. I'd love to have them!
Old 04-08-01, 06:48 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Francis K,
I really haven't done any time testing, etc. w/ my SC b/c I want to at least get sum more performance bolt ons. All i have right now is K&N Filter (want at least the cone) and the other mods are for looks. i know that my SC does do 0-60 in 6.0 sec. (w/ stock air filter and chrome wheels). I have no clue about 1/4 times but im sure they rn't bad. I will try to get some times for ya soon though. I would love to get a cold air intake and NOS and dyno it but i will have to do that when im in college for sure (when parents rn't around)
Old 04-08-01, 07:06 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

0-60....4.5 ish... (Traction permitting)
Old 04-11-01, 06:24 PM
Rictoven

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks all of you for your replies! Soarergt, I ran the 'carfax' and it checks out 'ok'....I'm buying it!!!!
Old 04-11-01, 06:27 PM
Francis K
Racer

Thumbs up GOOOOO RICTOVEN!!

Can't wait to hear how wonderful it is!
Old 04-11-01, 06:34 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Default Re: the SC

Originally posted by soarergt
i have a 93 SC300 which was purchased used two years ago with 74k miles. the sunroof taking 2 clicks to close is normal and i do hear a wind noise when the sunroof cover is open sometimes. to stop the noise i just open and close the sunroof again and that usually stops the noise. pebble dents on the front are normal for an older SC...its impossible not to get them. i suggest writing down the VIN# and checking www.carfax.com. this way you can tell if the car has been salvaged, in accidents, etc...its a great source when buying a used car.
Just to let every1 know.... The benz that i mentioned that my dad almost bought but didn't b/c of the "flood" damage checked out ok at carfax.com. It said that there was a perfect hisory but we didn't buy the complete report. I dodn't want to worry all but if i were looking on carfax, i think i would pay the $14 or whateva it is and get the written report.
Old 04-12-01, 06:28 AM
TomSC400

Exclamation KEEP THIS IN MIND!!!!

Not all cars that have been flooded, wrecked, totalled or theft recovered will show up on Carfax. There are a handfull of people out there that didn't have full coverage, or insurance companies that denied claims.
The owners of these vehicles will sell them as repairables or for parts, BUT with a clean title instead of salvaged.
Therefore those things would NOT show up on Carfax because the title would still be clean...

So just keep that in mind!
Old 04-12-01, 06:55 AM
SC400onDubz
Driver

Default Buying a used SC

Hi Ric,

Don't let all of those things scare you. The speaker system in these cars are always messing up. At the most the amp is bad, which will cost around 100 bucks on ebay. Probably the wiring but it could be the speakers.

If you are scared of salvage then just look under the car for flood. It will have a LOT of rust in wierd locations, the trunk is a nother place to look for flood. You will see any signs of Water damage there. Smell, or carpet discoloration.

If you are worried about a wreck they are easy to spot on a lex. Raise the hood, check the main rails that are around the radiator and see if anything has been repainted. Look for overspray, tape lines. The factory did not make the car with either.

Repaint is common but when they are wrecked hard in the front the Radiator core support will be bent and usually replaced, so it must be repainted. It is an easy place to notice if the car has been wrecked hard in the front.

Also stand back and look down the sides of the car. The panels should be straight and not wobbly or rough. Any rough spot is a sign of previous damage that was repaired.

Raise the trunk and pull up the Rubber around the trunk. Look if you see any paint overspray or tape lines here also. If the quarter was painted then look around the roof between the quarter window and the back glass, they probably blended the paint right there. If it was a quality job then you will just barely be able to notice it but if it is bad(about 60% of the ones I see) then you will need to get it repainted.

If you see tape lines in the trunk but no blend at that spot then they probably painted the whole roof and both quarters. YOu can check this by opening up the roof and looking for tape lines.

The sunroof leak problem is very common. Mine does it right now. Just needs adjustment. A few shims need to be added or taken away.

The dents on the hood can probably be taken out by the dent doctor. Paintless dent repair.

Good Luck and Let us know what you find,
Scott
Old 04-12-01, 08:26 PM
XX400
Rookie

Red face WHAT!

MYLEXUSSC300

XX400,
I have a 1992 SC300 and i know what u mean about the moonroof and the noise.

As for the wind noise, I do sumtimes have to close the shade panel but nothing to worry about there.

Nuf said!
Old 04-12-01, 10:31 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Default Re: WHAT!

Originally posted by XX400
MYLEXUSSC300

XX400,
I have a 1992 SC300 and i know what u mean about the moonroof and the noise.

As for the wind noise, I do sumtimes have to close the shade panel but nothing to worry about there.

Nuf said!
what r u talking about???

Quick Reply: What am I missing?