RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New RX ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 03:55 PM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New RX ordered!

Wife currently drives a 2010 HS and now I have ordered a 2013 RX. None available like I wanted so it had to be ordered. I was told it will be made in Japan as I wanted HUD. Looks like a long wait, but hopefully worth it. I have HUD on current car (now sold) and am really spoiled and love the feature.

Now the wait!!! Help me get through it!!!
Old 11-12-12, 04:34 PM
JB330Ci
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naplesam
Wife currently drives a 2010 HS and now I have ordered a 2013 RX. None available like I wanted so it had to be ordered. I was told it will be made in Japan as I wanted HUD. Looks like a long wait, but hopefully worth it. I have HUD on current car (now sold) and am really spoiled and love the feature.

Now the wait!!! Help me get through it!!!
Do you mind sharing the spec of your new car? 350 or 450?
Old 11-12-12, 04:40 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Read posts in this forum and contribute - time will go by. I'm getting mine Wednesday or Thursday. Enjoy and congrats.
Old 11-12-12, 07:52 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

HUD is definitely a nice feature, we have it on our 2010 and it makes speed control a lot easier. Plus when we travelled to Canada last year it was easy to switch it to read Km/Hr which made mental calculations unnecessary.
Old 11-13-12, 03:39 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats. The wait is worth it to get exactly what you want.

You can read the manuals online to help you pass the time and familiarize yourself with the RX. And then there are the accessories, everything from floor mats to trailer hitches. Order early so you have them when the RX comes in.
Old 11-13-12, 04:18 AM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JB330Ci
Do you mind sharing the spec of your new car? 350 or 450?
RX 350, Premium Package w/ BSM, Comfort Pkg., 19" wheels, Nav, Towing Pkg., HUD, wood & leather steering wheel, Parking Assist, Claret Mica, Parchment

Last edited by naplesam; 11-13-12 at 06:00 AM. Reason: add colors
Old 11-13-12, 05:57 AM
TorontoRX
Rookie

I didnt realize that HUD equipped RX's would have to come from Japan and not Cambridge.
Old 11-13-12, 06:02 AM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TorontoRX
I didnt realize that HUD equipped RX's would have to come from Japan and not Cambridge.
That is what the salesman told me. I'll confirm where mine was built upon delivery.
Old 11-13-12, 06:11 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HUD's also come from Cambridge for 2013...like typical salesmen, he told you what you wanted to hear. Like you, I have also grown accustomed to the HUD which I had on my 2010 (Japan built). I think you will love the BSM as well, which caused me to hold off until it was available. My RX is an Ultra Premium 1 here in Canada and has the heated steering wheel as well, which is nice on those chilly mornings here now. My 2013 was Cambridge built which I insisted on and came with Michelin tires--which I also said it had to have! I have had 6 RX's since they brough out generation 2 all have been Cambridge ON built with the exception of the 2010 and all have been trouble-free. The rear door skins flexed on the 2010 when the doors were closed--which I did not much care for. The only model that is not Cambridge built is the RX450 - until next year!! They can tell you the plant that is coming from once the order is accepted and in the system...but maybe they don't want to!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 11-14-12, 04:13 AM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dentate
HUD's also come from Cambridge for 2013...like typical salesmen, he told you what you wanted to hear. Like you, I have also grown accustomed to the HUD which I had on my 2010 (Japan built). I think you will love the BSM as well, which caused me to hold off until it was available. My RX is an Ultra Premium 1 here in Canada and has the heated steering wheel as well, which is nice on those chilly mornings here now. My 2013 was Cambridge built which I insisted on and came with Michelin tires--which I also said it had to have! I have had 6 RX's since they brough out generation 2 all have been Cambridge ON built with the exception of the 2010 and all have been trouble-free. The rear door skins flexed on the 2010 when the doors were closed--which I did not much care for. The only model that is not Cambridge built is the RX450 - until next year!! They can tell you the plant that is coming from once the order is accepted and in the system...but maybe they don't want to!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Just stating what he told me; we had no discussion about manufacturing location prior to his comment. Actually, the salesman told me that it would be made in Japan as an explanation of why it could take quite a while for the car to get here as it would need lots of boat time. I think I'd rather have NA made and get it sooner.

So, educate me as to why I would have wanted to hear that it would be made in Japan if I have to wait longer for it as opposed to one built in Canada? Aren't the standards the same?
Old 11-14-12, 01:11 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Napelsam--There are many folks in the USA, who believe that a vehicle coming from Japan is put together better in keeping with the overall Japanese philosophy and dedication to a job. I have toured the Lexus RX factory in Cambridge and was very impressed with workers, the cleanliness, and the philosophy behind the production there. If you ever get that chance, I would encourage you to take that tour. The standards are the same and both plants that produce the RX have won prestigious JD Power awards. As a Canadian, I insisted that my 2013 be built at home....many complain that their new RX's rattle but so far with only 2,000 km on the odometer--not a rattle to be heard. In fact, my 2009 (also Cambridge built) and with 75,000 km on the clock is still rattle-free as well. As a bonus, Canadian made Rx's usually come equipped with Michelin as opposed to Dunflop tires (Michelin wear rating is double that of the Dun's). My understanding is that the time delay is due to your special order - something that Canadians are not even permitted to do through Lexus Canada - you can buy almost every option individually where we are stuck with packages. For example, we cannot even buy the intuitive park assist, (a $500.00 US option on any version of the RX) unless part of the $60,000 Ultra Premium 1 or the $62,000 Ultra Premium 2 packages - same story with the Blind Spot Monitoring. Enform is still not available here but the safety connect will work in this country. I hope you enjoy your RX wherever it comes from!

dentate
Oshawa, ON
Old 11-15-12, 02:45 AM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

dentate - Thanks for the explanation. As long as the quality is the same, I'd just as soon have it made in Canada! And glad we down here in the States can get the a la carte "goodies"!
Old 11-15-12, 06:36 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have toured the Lexus RX factory in Cambridge and was very impressed with workers, the cleanliness, and the philosophy behind the production there. If you ever get that chance, I would encourage you to take that tour.
Been there, done that, and I agree with you. Although would like to see Japanese plant too.
Old 12-01-12, 05:28 AM
mandidy
Driver School Candidate

you will like it more since you are waiting for it,,,
Old 12-01-12, 06:06 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I would insist before p/u vehicle that they have Michelin tires. Can swap out at Port if Salesman notates on order. Bought my wife RX350-2013 this month...prem pkg, comf pkg, 19" wheels bsm, etc came from Cambridge so need to worry about tires. But in 2010 had my es350 have tires switched from Bridgestone to Michelin...was done at Port where several add ons are/or can be done to vehicle. Enyoy the ride once you have it. !

Quick Reply: New RX ordered!