RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

DIY LED Puddle Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 01:11 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDKane527
If anyone has any comments or questions, feel free to ask away!
Very nice write-up and great photos!
Old 07-31-10, 10:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just had my buddy who works at a bodyshop install the puddle LEDs,Parking light LEDs and fog light bulbs.
The guy installed it all in less than an hour.
You can reach the fog light bulbs and make the change reaching down from the top.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-31-10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-31-10, 03:10 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Joeb, sounds great. Post some pics if you can. I can't believe the fog light bulbs are so easily accessible on the 350 compared to the 450h.
Old 07-31-10, 07:15 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Joeb, sounds great. Post some pics if you can. I can't believe the fog light bulbs are so easily accessible on the 350 compared to the 450h.
Anita
I was reading in the manual today that the fogs are one of the few bulbs 'not' designed to be accessible to the consumer. Like you said, a panel in the wheel wells could be an easy answer. Especially on the (h) models.
Old 07-31-10, 07:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Anita
I was reading in the manual today that the fogs are one of the few bulbs 'not' designed to be accessible to the consumer. Like you said, a panel in the wheel wells could be an easy answer. Especially on the (h) models.
Jim, I read through the DIY section of the manual and was surprised to see how many things can be done by the owner. I didn't look for the fog lights in particular but I'm glad my installer managed to change them without removing the bumper.

Next will be the puddle lamp, not listed in the manual (I think), and I'm going to do it myself. I give a lot of credit to those who have the guts to tinker with these kind of things and post the results here. It's incredibly helpful. Only downside is there's so much I want to do now.
Old 07-31-10, 10:32 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Jim, I read through the DIY section of the manual and was surprised to see how many things can be done by the owner. I didn't look for the fog lights in particular but I'm glad my installer managed to change them without removing the bumper.

Next will be the puddle lamp, not listed in the manual (I think), and I'm going to do it myself. I give a lot of credit to those who have the guts to tinker with these kind of things and post the results here. It's incredibly helpful. Only downside is there's so much I want to do now.
lol! i think you got the mod bug now! i'm just glad i don't have any money to go crazy on the RX!
Old 08-19-10, 01:42 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad that Lexus did not put all LEDs in the car in the first place. But that would be asking too much from them.
Old 09-25-10, 04:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Decided to tackle this project today. I went with the V-Leds like JDKane and wow, what a difference! Pulling the mirror was simple. Separating the inside mirror was a little tricky. The sound it makes is not for the faint of heart. The entire side view mirror came apart on the passenger side but it wasn't hard to put back together. It looks totally awesome!
Attached Thumbnails DIY LED Puddle Lamps-img_0012.jpg  
Old 09-25-10, 04:58 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats, it's an easy upgrade once you know how to take the mirror apart.

What's next?
Old 09-25-10, 05:11 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Congrats, it's an easy upgrade once you know how to take the mirror apart.

What's next?
The mirror removal is definitely the easiest part. Pulling it apart is a little tricky. But I am sooo glad I did it.

Interior lights will probably be next now that the outside lights are done. Wonder what it would look like with blue LEDs
Old 09-26-10, 08:01 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The mirror removal is definitely the easiest part. Pulling it apart is a little tricky. But I am sooo glad I did it.

Interior lights will probably be next now that the outside lights are done. Wonder what it would look like with blue LEDs
Blue LED's are pretty BLUE. I put them in my front parking/ running lights and they are a stand out. I guess the interior color should be a consideration with those too. Post pics if you do it.

I think I'm done with lighting and trying to find a front grille again. The relentless pursuit.
Old 09-26-10, 10:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Nice!
I love my puddle LED upgrade and parking light LED changeover.
As far as interior blue LED lights I don't know.I experimented with my Camry and replaced the lights with white/bluish LEDs except for the reading lamps in back.I'm not going that route with the RX as it's kind of cold harsh lighting.Never thought I'd say it but the ugly yellow works better for the wife and me.
I did change all four lower door panel bulbs,though.
Old 09-26-10, 10:24 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Thanks Joeb, good to know. I might experiment to see what looks best with the black interior. Super bright lights after being in the dark is definitely not good for the eyes.
Old 09-26-10, 10:38 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks Joeb, good to know. I might experiment to see what looks best with the black interior. Super bright lights after being in the dark is definitely not good for the eyes.
I wasn't crazy about the change from the start and friends and relatives that entered the car noticed the change and most didn't like it.Now the Camry has a light gray interior.I don't know if black would make a difference but I'm staying pat with the RX.
It's a bit of the brightness but more the cold white/blue color and I went with a 5 LED bulb.I imagine those multi LED curcuit board may be blinding.
I don't dislike the change enough to go back to the warm yellow stock bulbs at this point,though.
You'll have to try it and see how you like it.
Old 09-26-10, 11:16 AM
supra06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know how to get the mirror back on it's housing? Mine is very loose from the bottom

Quick Reply: DIY LED Puddle Lamps