RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

ABS Sensor problem?? - 99 RX300 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 09:45 PM
price999
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Sensor problem?? - 99 RX300 AWD

I'm considering purchasing a 99 RX300 AWD with 80k miles and the current owner mentioned that the ABS Sensors might need to be replaced. Here's the problem, so please let me know if anyone has this problem and what estimated repairs might be.
"When you completely turn the steering wheel to either side and hit the brakes, the ABS seems to consistently come on"
Old 03-25-09, 12:52 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by price999
I'm considering purchasing a 99 RX300 AWD with 80k miles and the current owner mentioned that the ABS Sensors might need to be replaced. Here's the problem, so please let me know if anyone has this problem and what estimated repairs might be.
"When you completely turn the steering wheel to either side and hit the brakes, the ABS seems to consistently come on"
I don't know a lot about ABS systems but the 1st thing I would do is jack it up, take the front wheels off and take a close look at the sensors and wire, also at the sprocket wheel. A lot of the time when ABS act up all they need is to be cleaned (the aformentioned parts). Having not worked on them, I am not sure what the wheel looks like on a Lexus, only on American brands. Often, by just looking you are able to detect any damage and you can give things a good cleaning at the same time.
Old 03-25-09, 07:02 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A dirty or bad sensor is always a possibility but the odds are against you. On the RX it is usually the ABS ring which is part of the axle shaft. A $1000 + repair.
Others have had this problem before and I don't recall anyone getting away with a sensor repair. Do a search on this forum for some more detailed info.
Old 03-25-09, 07:18 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Since the car is in NJ maybe there is rust or metal filings on the sensor ring....
Old 03-25-09, 08:00 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Very hard to give an exact answer ..

Problem can be solved by simply cleaning the sensor/magnets (unlikely as they should fail in straight line), but you never know it could be the connector being stretched.

On the other hand it can be as bad as needing a new brake-modulator.

A safe bet would be to spend $100 or so and let Lexus diagnose it for you.

Salim

ps: How are the tires? It could be the abs is telling you that it detected a skid.

Last edited by salimshah; 03-25-09 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-25-09, 09:02 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default More issues

... "When you completely turn the steering wheel to either side and hit the brakes, the ABS seems to consistently come on"
Is this a quote from the current owner? Have you test driven the vehicle yet? How hard to you have to step on the brakes for the ABS to kick in or does it occur at any speed? Also, does this happen when it's moving straight ahead and at all speeds or some speeds?

If for instance it only occurs under heavy braking, wheel fully turned, and no other time, then I would even venture to say it's "normal." How are the tire conditions, are they bald perhaps? If you're fully turned to one side and jamming on the brakes, the two wheels are not spinning at the same rate per say, and so the ABS is monitor wheel spin and lock up, so it might just be misreading the wheels.

If it happens on most instances, then I'd say bring it to Lexus and have them look at it.
Old 03-25-09, 12:36 PM
price999
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reponses! Here's a more detailed explanation of the problem from the owner and tires have appx 10k miles on them.....I'm actually going to have a Lexus dealer do a diagnostic check on it in the coming days.

Owner: "For some reason when you completely turn the steering wheel to either side and hit the brakes, the ABS seems to come on. Nothing major though."

Me: When you say that "ABS comes on", do you mean the ABS light just comes on or you can actually feel ABS engaging?

Owner: "The latter. It's really strange how it kicks in but the ABS doesnt flash on the dash. I was reading online they it could just be dirt too. I only notice it if im parking (thats usually the only time the steering wheel is all the way in the locked position) and im going a little quick."

Last edited by price999; 03-25-09 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 02:24 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reponses! Here's a more detailed explanation of the problem from the owner and tires have appx 10k miles on them.....I'm actually going to have a Lexus dealer do a diagnostic check on it in the coming days.

Owner: "For some reason when you completely turn the steering wheel to either side and hit the brakes, the ABS seems to come on. Nothing major though."

Me: When you say that "ABS comes on", do you mean the ABS light just comes on or you can actually feel ABS engaging?

Owner: "The latter. It's really strange how it kicks in but the ABS doesnt flash on the dash. I was reading online they it could just be dirt too. I only notice it if im parking (thats usually the only time the steering wheel is all the way in the locked position) and im going a little quick."
Having Lexus check it out before you buy sounds like a good idea. I just did a search on "ABS" and came up with a lot of old posts with the same problem. Everyone hopes for bad sensor or just dirt but it looks like everyone that was able to resolve the problem had to have axle replaced. I could not find one case of cleaning or sensor replacement fixing the problem. Here is a link to some of the posts:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ake-pedal.html
Old 03-25-09, 03:45 PM
price999
Driver School Candidate

thanks again for the responses. Ouch, that doesn't sound good. I'll spend the $100 or so dollars for the diagnostic inspection as it sounds like that'll save me over a grand if i were to buy the car. We'll see.....
Old 03-25-09, 04:23 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

I don't mean to put down the RX. It really is a wonderful car but you should know what you are getting into. You only asked about the ABS problem so that is all I responded to. Is it safe to assume you are familiar with the other potential issues like engine sludge and transmission failures. If not search this forum or google "RX engine sludge" and "RX transmission problems". All the info you find will help you evaluate any individual RX.
Old 03-25-09, 05:17 PM
salimshah

thanks again for the responses. Ouch, that doesn't sound good. I'll spend the $100 or so dollars for the diagnostic inspection as it sounds like that'll save me over a grand if i were to buy the car. We'll see.....
I just came up with the number. You ought to call Lexus and they will tell you how much they will charge as a diagnostic fee ... which may or may not apply towards the repair.

mikey00 has pointed out a few of the most talked about issues. How prevalent are they? We really do not know.

One thing you must keep in mind is that the parts are expensive and the dealer labor rates run about $100/hr rounded up by half hour.

An AC repair will be $1xxx.00 [guess]
Brake modulator $7xx.00 [another guess]
transmission $5xxx.00 [another guess]
Door lock repair $5xx.00 [another guess]

If you have the RX checked by a mechanic, [lemon busters etc] you will be spending $60.00 or more. Giving the dealer $100 may not be bad investment.

One more thing, the RX brake system has a diagnostic port and the dealer may be the only one capable to read it.

Salim

ps; Lexus are not inexpensive to maintain. A tad below the German luxury but at the top of Japanese imports.

Last edited by salimshah; 03-26-09 at 07:53 AM. Reason: door lock estimate was 10x off
Old 03-26-09, 07:42 AM
price999
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I have been reading about the misc problems that ail the RX. You know, I still think Lexus is my best bet for a reliable/quality used car around $9k. I've also considered a 2000 ES300 over the RX, but I'm sure they share the same transmission and other parts, hence similair problems. I know this is an RX discussion, but is it your opinion that the ES300 has just as many issues? You comments are very helpful and greatly appreciated!
Old 03-26-09, 08:01 AM
salimshah

The rates and parts are going to be the same.

So if any one is considering a vehicle without warranty, I would say put away $1500 or so as needed repairs and it may have to go upto $4000 if some one got a vehicle with serious problems.

The stress on transmission is lot less in ES. The issue has been that although the transmission has been "proven" but in a low profile vehicle.

If I was looking for Lexus sedan, my choices would be the LS, IS or the GS4
[large(lexus flagship), small-sporty, mix of both]. ES is a fine choice but a bit boring.. and this comes from some one who drives a RX.

Salim
Old 04-08-09, 09:00 AM
andres-eh2
Driver School Candidate

The car in question is actually mine. And the issue is really odd. Almost hard to explain but let me give it another shot.

Let say im about to pull into a parking spot and turn the wheel all the way to the lock position, i get feedback from the brake pedal and it feels like the ABS kicking in. The ABS light does not flash and the ABS doesnt kick in otherwise unless it's actually doing its job.

I think im going to replace the sensor and take it from there. What else could it be?
Old 04-08-09, 10:22 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by andres-eh2
I think im going to replace the sensor and take it from there. What else could it be?
It's almost always the sensor ring that's bad. Which, unfortunately, is part of the axle.

Quick Reply: ABS Sensor problem?? - 99 RX300 AWD