RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 04:59 AM
RBach
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkle
No disagreements that bigger AGM battery would be a band-aid fix - and the real fix needs to come from Lexus. That noted, what can we owners of $70K+ bricked Lexi do, when we are now loaded with a turd of a design by "ultra-reliable" Lexus - other than apply a band-aid fix and go about our lives, until and unless Lexus releases a TSB or recall notice to dealers ?

FWIW, I had the digital key disabled in-car and still had the problem. Don't have any other security system or theft cameras installed, no aftermarket accessories like dash-cam. So yes, its all on Lexus - and we are just trying to find a way of going about lives with band-aid fixes like trickle-chargers and AGM batteries.

There's at least one person in the RX hybrid forum who might ask for proceeding with Lemon law, since he had this problem right on the first week of a RX450H+ delivered.
An update on the 12v battery parasitic draw for the new 2024 RX 450h+, where the vehicle 12v battery was 'dead' twice first week of ownership.

The local Lexus dealer has had the vehicle for ten days now, diagnosing and running tests. I'm told a (regional ?) Lexus engineer has visited the dealership during the process, providing guidance, probably asking questions. I don't have any real concrete answers, "aha" moments, or practical info on tests run, solutions found. What I am told - Thurs last week - is that they have observed the 12v battery (sitting in one of their garage bays this whole time) drop daily down to 11.8v. I'm being told this could be 'normal'. Doubt that, as my understanding is 11.8v on most 12v car batteries is a rather deep discharge.

I don't believe a brand-new $70k+ Lexus should have to have a trickle charger added daily to prevent a 'dead battery' situation with the vehicle, so yes: if this isn't resolved, we'll pursue the Lemon Law process.
Old 04-16-24, 07:09 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 130 Posts

In there tests can they tell amount of parasitic draw over a time period like 24 hrs? That would be smoothing out the ups and down of the draw and give an accurate total and that is what needs to be looked at to see if it is excessive. There entire lineup is facing similar problems just seems to be more severe in some like yours. For yours to be depleted within 1 week is not normal. If they think that is normal then a salesman when demonstrating a car on the lot would have to charge the battery just to test drive. As for the lemon law especially here in NC it is almost impossible to do but in other states I have heard all you have to do is hand the keys back over with no repercussion.
The following users liked this post:
neilsarkar (04-16-24)
Old 04-16-24, 08:57 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 491 Likes on 334 Posts

Any lemon law buyback is done by Lexus and not the dealership. Lexus will tell you when and how to return the car they are buying back.
Old 04-16-24, 12:30 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RBach
What I am told - Thurs last week - is that they have observed the 12v battery (sitting in one of their garage bays this whole time) drop daily down to 11.8v. .
So it's been sitting there for 10 days. It would be interesting to see whether they can restart it after 14 days...2 weeks. if so, then that seems like a typical modern car to me? Many sites suggest anything more than 14 days standing is iffy for 12V batteries, and that has always been my understanding too.

Old 04-16-24, 12:45 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 491 Likes on 334 Posts

It depends. VW and Audis go into a deep sleep with the car after 7 days to avoid this. Ford does it as well I believe.

Last edited by Urlik; 04-16-24 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-16-24, 01:01 PM
pcm888usa
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

An update on the 12v battery parasitic draw for the new 2024 RX 450h+, where the vehicle 12v battery was 'dead' twice first week of ownership.

The local Lexus dealer has had the vehicle for ten days now, diagnosing and running tests. I'm told a (regional ?) Lexus engineer has visited the dealership during the process, providing guidance, probably asking questions. I don't have any real concrete answers, "aha" moments, or practical info on tests run, solutions found. What I am told - Thurs last week - is that they have observed the 12v battery (sitting in one of their garage bays this whole time) drop daily down to 11.8v. I'm being told this could be 'normal'. Doubt that, as my understanding is 11.8v on most 12v car batteries is a rather deep discharge.

I don't believe a brand-new $70k+ Lexus should have to have a trickle charger added daily to prevent a 'dead battery' situation with the vehicle, so yes: if this isn't resolved, we'll pursue the Lemon Law process.
Mine 450h+ has been sitting in the dealership for 12 days. New battery did not do the trick. Today they declared they found the source of battery drain. It is a DCM that is bad. They replaced it. I have not gotten the car back yet but you may want to share this with your dealer. Since we are not the only unfortunate ones who had this kind of issue. My car is 1 month old. I am ready to turn it back to Lexus.
Old 04-16-24, 02:06 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pcm888usa
Mine 450h+ has been sitting in the dealership for 12 days. New battery did not do the trick. Today they declared they found the source of battery drain. It is a DCM that is bad. They replaced it. I have not gotten the car back yet but you may want to share this with your dealer. Since we are not the only unfortunate ones who had this kind of issue. My car is 1 month old. I am ready to turn it back to Lexus.
It is defective in what way? Communication to network too much? Or something else? Thanks.
Old 04-16-24, 06:18 PM
Imolared
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
So it's been sitting there for 10 days. It would be interesting to see whether they can restart it after 14 days...2 weeks. if so, then that seems like a typical modern car to me? Many sites suggest anything more than 14 days standing is iffy for 12V batteries, and that has always been my understanding too.
I disagree, my previous 2021 X5 45E PHEV sat in the garage for weeks and sometimes over a month without being driven and never once I had to jump it. It had the same app and digital/proximity sensors/features as the RX450h+ (maybe even more, I love that I can unlock and drive that car just using my Apple Watch).

This is just **** poor battery management system that Lexus has.
The following 3 users liked this post by Imolared:
autotech13 (04-17-24), neilsarkar (04-17-24), wrinkle (04-19-24)
Old 04-16-24, 07:19 PM
wrinkle
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Imolared
I disagree, my previous 2021 X5 45E PHEV sat in the garage for weeks and sometimes over a month without being driven and never once I had to jump it. It had the same app and digital/proximity sensors/features as the RX450h+ (maybe even more, I love that I can unlock and drive that car just using my Apple Watch).

This is just **** poor battery management system that Lexus has.
I agree. Lexus is making me quite regret not even considering a BMW PHEV. Given how the latter's reputation for reliability has risen in the Consumer Reports reviews - in hindsight, I shouldn't have so ignored the NX450h+ sightings of this ridiculous 12 V battery management design in this forum, which I then considered something as only affecting folks in very cold climate. The primary non-negotiable reason I chose Lexus was reliability.

If a bigger sized battery or Lexus firmware update doesn't fix this, I may not choose to stay with Lexus long-term.
autotech13 (04-17-24)
Old 04-16-24, 07:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,724 Likes on 2,307 Posts

If this was my vehicle I'd something like this
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-16-24, 07:38 PM
wrinkle
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If this was my vehicle I'd something like this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCW49YM/
It doesn't fix the problem - and wastes my money and time, as far as I'm concerned. So I'll pass being a "Lexus Champion"
autotech13 (04-17-24)
Old 04-17-24, 04:46 AM
RBach
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcm888usa
Thank you very much for sharing what the dealer service dept told you, about changing a DCM. I truly hope that resolves it.

Yes, I sure will pass along that you had the same issue(s), and that is what they found. Fingers crossed this builds the Lexus engineering database, to create a quicker solution for those to come. Then on vehicles in production, changes the process to prevent from recurring for others.

Blessings

Rich
Old 04-17-24, 06:36 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 130 Posts

Thank you very much for sharing what the dealer service dept told you, about changing a DCM. I truly hope that resolves it.

Yes, I sure will pass along that you had the same issue(s), and that is what they found. Fingers crossed this builds the Lexus engineering database, to create a quicker solution for those to come. Then on vehicles in production, changes the process to prevent from recurring for others.

Blessings

Rich
This gets back to the extensive tests that were done on your car. Find out from them what the cumulative parasitic draw that they measured and what does Lexus deem as normal draw. Not sure if you have done this but you can put an ammeter in series with the battery and see the spikes that happen quite often by the DCM transmitting. Just make sure your key is far away and put scale on 20A for initial spike and then reduce to ma scale. Mine jumps from 75 to around 200ma. If all seems to be in normal range then the battery is probably weak even if it checks ok but I think you have said the battery has already been changed. There will most likely be a software update to address the issue and no one knows they are working on the fix until it happens. Knowing what the draw was during there tests is important and not just the voltage drop.
Old 04-17-24, 06:41 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
This gets back to the extensive tests that were done on your car. Find out from them what the cumulative parasitic draw that they measured and what does Lexus deem as normal draw. Not sure if you have done this but you can put an ammeter in series with the battery and see the spikes that happen quite often by the DCM transmitting. Just make sure your key is far away and put scale on 20A for initial spike and then reduce to ma scale. Mine jumps from 75 to around 200ma. If all seems to be in normal range then the battery is probably weak even if it checks ok but I think you have said the battery has already been changed. There will most likely be a software update to address the issue and no one knows they are working on the fix until it happens. Knowing what the draw was during there tests is important and not just the voltage drop.
I'd be curious to hear what the official threshold for vampire drain is from Lexus... But 75mA already sounds too high. I think other manufacturers specify upper limits around 50mA and actual drain is often much lower -- 10-15mA.
Old 04-17-24, 12:56 PM
RPerez13
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tecdivingaccountant
I got one made by NOCO. 1,000 Amp seem more than enough to jump a 2.4 liter engine.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015TKUPIC?...roduct_details
Did you have to purchase an extension cable to connect to the Neg Terminal in the hood (not back of car)?