RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Power back door and high beam questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 10:44 AM
notasubaru
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Power back door and high beam questions

Hey guys,

Really enjoying my 2016 RX right now. Taken her for about 2000 miles in barely over a month.

Just a few quick questions, not sure if they've been answered but the search function on this forum is not great for finding the relevant info.

Power lift gate

1. Is there any way to stop the lift gate as it opens by applying pressure to it? It seems like the only way to stop it is to press the button and sometimes that is tricky to get to from my angle

2. Due to my problems with question 1 (ended up having the lift gate smack my garage door slightly and scratch it ever so slighty..yes I'm fairly upset too), I did adjust the lift gate to stop at a certain height. However when I take my car outside and want to load up, it's very frustrating to have the gate only open to that height. Is there any way to have two liftgate heights to use on the fly? Seems like the only way to do it is in the labyrinth options settings - that requires the car to be on, which is ridiculous. Any way to fix this? Maybe a different key fob?

Headlights

1. Does everyone else have their high beams coming on even when the streets are decently well lit? I have the Luxury trim and the LED high beams are blinding the bejeezus out of people (I've gotten numerous unfriendly hand signals from other drivers). I've resorted to turning the lighting array to the first option (all lights other than high beams) but it seems a bit reductive. I've tried cleaning the glass area above the sensor too. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-12-19, 11:39 AM
907rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by notasubaru
Hey guys,

Really enjoying my 2016 RX right now. Taken her for about 2000 miles in barely over a month.

Just a few quick questions, not sure if they've been answered but the search function on this forum is not great for finding the relevant info.

Power lift gate

1. Is there any way to stop the lift gate as it opens by applying pressure to it? It seems like the only way to stop it is to press the button and sometimes that is tricky to get to from my angle

2. Due to my problems with question 1 (ended up having the lift gate smack my garage door slightly and scratch it ever so slighty..yes I'm fairly upset too), I did adjust the lift gate to stop at a certain height. However when I take my car outside and want to load up, it's very frustrating to have the gate only open to that height. Is there any way to have two liftgate heights to use on the fly? Seems like the only way to do it is in the labyrinth options settings - that requires the car to be on, which is ridiculous. Any way to fix this? Maybe a different key fob?

Headlights

1. Does everyone else have their high beams coming on even when the streets are decently well lit? I have the Luxury trim and the LED high beams are blinding the bejeezus out of people (I've gotten numerous unfriendly hand signals from other drivers). I've resorted to turning the lighting array to the first option (all lights other than high beams) but it seems a bit reductive. I've tried cleaning the glass area above the sensor too. Anyone else have this problem?
Not sure about question number 1, I’ve only had my 17 rx for a few weeks, but I have seen a thread related to your second question. I believe the problem may be a film or moisture buildup on the inside of your windshield behind the rear view mirror where the camera/radar is (in a sealed space). There is a TSB somewhere out there and the windshield has to be removed and cleaned. You can check for the film by shining a flashlight through the windshield from outside or looking closely in direct sunlight.
Old 06-12-19, 12:00 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 907rx
Not sure about question number 1, I’ve only had my 17 rx for a few weeks, but I have seen a thread related to your second question. I believe the problem may be a film or moisture buildup on the inside of your windshield behind the rear view mirror where the camera/radar is (in a sealed space). There is a TSB somewhere out there and the windshield has to be removed and cleaned. You can check for the film by shining a flashlight through the windshield from outside or looking closely in direct sunlight.

Think it was this thread that gave some helpful information on that: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...appears-2.html post number 30.
The following users liked this post:
907rx (06-12-19)
Old 06-12-19, 12:19 PM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

High beams don't turn on unless you push the lever forward and auto highbeams requires pushing the button to the left of the steering wheel.

Just turning the **** to "auto" only turns on the low beams when it is dark enough (or wipers are on). You can adjust the sensitivity in the menu.
Old 06-12-19, 12:41 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

1) The physical pressure to stall the rear door from opening is substantial...that is why you now have a scratch.
When the gate is closing, a light touch to the right or left weatherstrip will stop it but you have correctly found the door
or fob button is required to stop the opening motion.

2a) Previous generation RX (pre-2016) had no height adjustment, now you get one (at a time)

2b) Did you know you can set and reset the opening right from the open hatch? Trigger it anyway you want and
while it is opening or closing touch the door bottom edge button once. Now press and hold that button until you
hear three (3) chirps. That is your new height. Easy to change downward...just tap the button again to lower it and
repeat the single touch to stop it, then the long press with chirps to set it.
To establish a new higher height setting you must physically push upward on the door to your intended new clearance
(a pretty strong push will be required) and then the long press/three chirp to reset it.
Old 06-12-19, 12:50 PM
notasubaru
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your reply.

Won't physically pushing the door up damage the mechanism?
Old 06-12-19, 02:36 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

No, the pushing up motion may damage your shoulder but the door mechanism will be fine!
Old 06-12-19, 04:52 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

If I remember correctly, set the door height to 5, open the hatch, pull it down to exactly the height want, press and hold the button till you hear 3 beeps.
Old 06-13-19, 07:13 AM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
1) The physical pressure to stall the rear door from opening is substantial...that is why you now have a scratch.
When the gate is closing, a light touch to the right or left weatherstrip will stop it but you have correctly found the door
or fob button is required to stop the opening motion.
My vehicle is equipped with the touch sensor. If I barely tap my lexus logo while my door is moving up, it will stop. Now, I'm also 6'4 so it's easy for me to put my hand above it so your results my vary but I do this if i need to stop it quickly.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (06-14-19)