RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 04:57 PM
kmare
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Startup time

How long is everyone's startup time? I find majority of the time its a cold start (40s). Sometimes is near instant, resume from sleep kind of thing. No idea what the trigger is for each behavior. Thoughts?
Old 06-18-19, 05:22 PM
leedoobert
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joeguan3rx
Mines is working working and I only have Bluetooth to carplay and not to Lexus or android box. It works the same wired or wireless. This is recommended by Cosmo.
The android / carplay uses aux for audio so as Long as you keep audio source as aux you can do everything in Lexus interface, music from carplay won’t be interrupted. The same goes for back up camera and parking sensors. You can use factory nav and carplay music at the same time. Oem Nav voice and carplay music will play.
Originally Posted by jjj666
Me too, I only have phone connected to CarPlay via Bluetooth, music and google map voice work perfectly
Thank you guys! I deleted all of the extra bluetooth profiles from my iPhone and re-paired my iPhone to CarPlay only. I also set my AUX to external (not sure if this made a difference), and now my Google Maps audio works perfectly in conjunction with my Spotify app! The music actually fades out into the Google Maps audio when I approach a turn! Very OEM!

After the bluetooth reset and re-pairing, my wireless CarPlay connection seems more stable too
Old 06-18-19, 09:11 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mirkee
This is all too complicated for me and it obviously has a way to go before being fully functional. I'll look at it again in a year. In the meantime, you'all get all the kinks out. :-)
Not sure which part you refer to as too complicated. Shipping only took 3 days from HK to Boston. I installed mine in 30 minutes (thanks for awesome posts here I read all of them prior to starting installation) and this is my first try. I was instantly a happy man. The next few days were just getting familiar with it and optimizing setting to my preference.
The following users liked this post:
jjj666 (06-19-19)
Old 06-23-19, 05:21 AM
kmare
Driver School Candidate

bumping my question from earlier.

How is everyone's startup experience? My box seems to cold start 90% of the time -- which takes about 40 seconds each time to fully boot up. I find on occasion that the device will warm boot, which is near instant. I have no idea under what conditions the box will warm boot -- looking for others experiences on the startup?
Old 06-23-19, 06:28 AM
jjj666
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kmare

How is everyone's startup experience? My box seems to cold start 90% of the time -- which takes about 40 seconds each time to fully boot up. I find on occasion that the device will warm boot, which is near instant. I have no idea under what conditions the box will warm boot -- looking for others experiences on the startup?
I think I have similar problem. Don’t know what’s the trigger. Hopefully it’s the software problem and can be fixed by a update
Old 06-23-19, 06:45 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Mine warm-boots 5 times before it cold-boots.
Old 06-23-19, 06:48 AM
kmare
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by qvtruong
Mine warm-boots 5 times before it cold-boots.
How fast is warm boot? I do see 5 / 1 in the product specs, so your experience makes sense. I'm going to reseat my wire harnesses and see if that resolves the issue
Old 06-23-19, 06:50 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

How fast is warm boot? I do see 5 / 1 in the product specs, so your experience makes sense. I'm going to reseat my wire harnesses and see if that resolves the issue
When it warm boot, it's like instantly cause it boots from sleep. I wish there is an option to make it always go to sleep like that and only reboot when I want to.
Old 06-23-19, 04:12 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I have to say that I’m pretty disappointed in this device. I had my first lengthy drive (5+) hours each way with the device installed and it was horribly unreliable. In fact it was so poor that I ended up just using the standard Lexus interface for most of the drive home. The problem was that every few minutes it would lose the connection and I’d be staring at the connect the device screen. Cosmo, the idea behind this is great but in that I have over $600 in it plus a load of time, well, I’m frustrated.
Old 06-23-19, 04:32 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gottspd
Well I have to say that I’m pretty disappointed in this device. I had my first lengthy drive (5+) hours each way with the device installed and it was horribly unreliable. In fact it was so poor that I ended up just using the standard Lexus interface for most of the drive home. The problem was that every few minutes it would lose the connection and I’d be staring at the connect the device screen. Cosmo, the idea behind this is great but in that I have over $600 in it plus a load of time, well, I’m frustrated.
Have you deleted all existing Bluetooth pairing (iPhone, carplay, android and Lexus) , iPhone network reset and pair only by to carplay? My connection has been rock solid since Cosmo recommended only bt pair with carplay.
Old 06-23-19, 07:36 PM
Gottspd
Driver

I use my phone with several bt devices (including my watch), so that’s just not a reasonable option.
Old 06-23-19, 07:52 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

I use my phone with several bt devices (including my watch), so that’s just not a reasonable option.
I have my phone with 2 apple watches and headphones, but it's working just fine. Probably reset your network setting?
Old 06-23-19, 07:54 PM
mirkee
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I should stress that I don't even have a Lexus at this time but I will have one in the future. I don't really like cars, although I've had 10+ new Mercedes in my life, all before they became such tech loaded cars. I currently drive a 2015 Venza and my wife drives a 2017 MBZ C-300. Having said that, I'm not likely to get carplay until they get all the kinks out. Once they do that, if I buy used, I want trusted mechanic to be able to install a reliable unit. I don't want any more complications. I currently use a GArmin GPS that sticks on the windshield and is very reliable. Love my Garmin lady. My wife has a Garmin SD chip in her Benz and it appears to be as reliable, although I never drive it. Thanks for all the input none the less.
Old 06-23-19, 08:46 PM
joeguan3rx
Rookie

You can repair all your headset and appple watchafter the network reset on your phone. I do have apple watch and headset as well. The key is to keep only one bt connection with your car via carplay, No bt to Lexus and android box.

My experience prior to to do this was that when starting my car, all three systems appear to be a bt phone device and they were completing to connect to my phone and caused issues at the same time.
Old 06-24-19, 05:04 AM
Gottspd
Driver

You can repair all your headset and appple watchafter the network reset on your phone. I do have apple watch and headset as well. The key is to keep only one bt connection with your car via carplay, No bt to Lexus and android box.

My experience prior to to do this was that when starting my car, all three systems appear to be a bt phone device and they were completing to connect to my phone and caused issues at the same time.
I’ll try this. I did change the aux to external and call quality through carplay via the box is still very poor. My first call with it, the person on the other end said “I can hear myself talking” and then I switched it to the Lexus BT and that worked fine. So I’m a bit concerned about trying to rely on the box for calls. I’ll give it a go however.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350