Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Rattling after engine switched off while driving slow

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 02:10 PM
podlesnick
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling after engine switched off while driving slow

Hello guys,
my 4rx 2016 450h is at service already for 4 weeks. The problem is that when I'm driving slow (cca 30 km/h), I push the car to switch the engine on (by stepping deep down on the accelerator) and then let the car switch the engine on (pulling my foot from the accelerator) I can hear 3 - 4 times rattling sound frequently after each other. This happens when the engine is cold (i. e. when I drive in the morning after I sleep). The dealer is consulting the problem with Lexus, but obviously they can not find a solution. Additionally, they found out that all of the hybrid 4RXs have the same problem, where my car is the loudest in this rattling sound.
Do you guys have any experience with this?
I am already being sad - 4 weeks without a premium car? And they gave mi 10 years old gs firstly as a replacement and now a hybrid Yaris
I already have had this car in repair for a longer time (cca 3 weeks) because of vibration in cabit (turned out that a plate was loose somewhere in the cabin).
Ok I can live with small car for a certain time when I forget people laughing at me - I suggested everyone to buy a Lexus for its reliability, now I drive a tiny Yaris
Do you have any experience how for example BMW or Audi, Mercedes would deal with this problem?
Old 08-26-18, 07:51 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I once leased BMW 750 and more than half of my lease I was driving Hyundai Genesis.

As far as your knocking sound I've never experienced something similar with my Rx450. How about you try one of the new once from their lot and see if you can replicate. From my experience when you deal with a sound or a noise first thing what dealer says is they all do it or it is normal for this car.
Old 08-27-18, 04:05 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by podlesnick
Hello guys,
..............., they found out that all of the hybrid 4RXs have the same problem, ............
negative, i don't hear anything with mine
Old 09-22-18, 12:56 PM
podlesnick
Rookie

So my 4RX is still in repair!!!! Do you guys think this is normal for such a premium brand? I bought full loaded 4RX and now I'm driving a Yaris!
Old 09-22-18, 03:26 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

So my 4RX is still in repair!!!! Do you guys think this is normal for such a premium brand? I bought full loaded 4RX and now I'm driving a Yaris!
Your loaner is a Yaris??????😨😨😨
Old 09-25-18, 08:16 AM
podlesnick
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Your loaner is a Yaris??????😨😨😨
yes they gave me Yaris. is this normal?
Old 09-25-18, 10:34 AM
sejijohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yes they gave me Yaris. is this normal?
My understanding is that they should give you a Lexus vehicle.
Old 09-26-18, 06:48 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by sejijohn
My understanding is that they should give you a Lexus vehicle.
That's interesting. Have you seen that in writing? Otherwise, seems like they can give you what ever they've got, no?
Old 09-26-18, 07:24 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

wow, I never heard of them loaning out budget cars. I thought they loaned something somewhat equal. At least give something with leather!
Old 09-26-18, 08:29 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Yaris? ROFL Unless it has limo tints, give it back and demand a Lexus loaner. Is this a real Lexus dealership?
Old 09-26-18, 08:38 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Dealers offer loaner as a customer service, I do not think they are required, otherwise it would be part of the contract. Additionally, if you have rental coverage through your car insurance I am sure there is a clause somewhere in the contract stating that they will provide rental based on availability. They cannot rent what they do not have. If there is/was such coverage offered through warranty repairs (which I do not believe so) there would have been same clause.

Your current rental might not even belong to a dealer, it might be just a regular rental from enterprise or such.
Old 09-26-18, 08:44 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
Yaris? ROFL Unless it has limo tints, give it back and demand a Lexus loaner. Is this a real Lexus dealership?
Why would dealer owe you anything?
Old 09-26-18, 08:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Per the Service and Warranty guide:

Loaner Vehicle
If your vehicle must be kept overnight at a Lexus dealership for a warranty covered condition that requires more than eight hours to repair, Lexus will provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle for up to five days.
No promises of a car that is equal to your current vehicle, or even a Lexus for that matter. I know many Lexus dealers will maintain a loaner fleet and if they run out, they'll contract out to Enterprise or another agency to help. Could that be what happened here?

Anything above and beyond what is specified in the warranty guide is up to the individual dealer. For example, mine will provide a loaner for any service lasting longer than 2 hours.
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 09:08 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Why would dealer owe you anything?
From experience, in NYC luxury brands dealerships are in high competition and will never give you a Yaris because they want everyone to see that you are driving their courtesy marked vehicle all over town. It's called great customer service and has nothing to do with them owing you a luxury service car to drive. They can send you home on a public bus too if they want to.. I've also seen some folks ask for same level of car they are giving in for service in a Benz dealership. A shallow executive may not want to drive a C-class if he just gave his G63 for service. It's up to the dealership to decide how they want to treat their customers.

PS I wouldn't take a Yaris because I'm not wiling to fiddle with car seats and everything else in this tiny uncomfortable car.
Old 09-26-18, 09:38 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
From experience, in NYC luxury brands dealerships are in high competition and will never give you a Yaris because they want everyone to see that you are driving their courtesy marked vehicle all over town. It's called great customer service and has nothing to do with them owing you a luxury service car to drive. They can send you home on a public bus too if they want to.. I've also seen some folks ask for same level of car they are giving in for service in a Benz dealership. A shallow executive may not want to drive a C-class if he just gave his G63 for service. It's up to the dealership to decide how they want to treat their customers.

PS I wouldn't take a Yaris because I'm not wiling to fiddle with car seats and everything else in this tiny uncomfortable car.
So your are saying asking instead of demanding might work better since there is public bus option.

Quick Reply: Rattling after engine switched off while driving slow