RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Ghosting through windshield, Lexus won't help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 10:31 PM
vmkrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghosting through windshield, Lexus won't help?

I'm having what I perceive to be a rather major problem, but I wanted to come here for a sanity check before I escalate. Just got my 2018 RX 450h, with HUD.

I'm getting a lot of ghosting through the windshield in the evening and at night. What I mean is, every light source has a double image underneath it, almost as bright as the light itself. As you get closer, the double starts converging and eventually goes away as you near. It's visible on street lights, traffic lights, taillights, etc. It's most visible on electronic billboards, or street signs illuminated by the headlights, or those types of longer light sources.

The phone wasn't able to take a super-good photo, but you can kind of see what I'm talking about here. Particularly under the street lights, traffic lights, and the "Taco Bell" sign off on the right behind the street sign. And also the three-point brake light under the bus in the middle of the frame.

I took it to the dealership, and the service person also observed this same thing with the lights in their garage. But the dealership (and also the case manager I talked to with Customer Satisfaction) says that it's performing "within specifications" and have refused any sort of service on it. I don't think it's some sort of hyper-sensitivity on my part; I've not seen this with my 2015 GS, nor my friend's BMW 550i with HUD.

So to you others with an RX: are you getting the same thing? I have a hard time believing it's like this across the board. I honestly didn't expect Customer Satisfaction to come back with "performing within specs, so we're refusing to do anything," so I'm really at a loss right now as to what to do going forward.

Edit: attaching full size photo
Attached Thumbnails Ghosting through windshield, Lexus won't help?-img_20180131_211550.jpg  

Last edited by vmkrs; 02-08-18 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-07-18, 10:50 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

You are not alone. I had this issue with my 2015 NX and 2016 RX, both had HUD. Both are original glass. I don't notice it except at night and it's only at certain distances that the double image appear. I think the angle of the approaching light is a factor because I don't see double traffic lights, only oncoming headlights or following tail lights. Either way, not worth ripping out the factory sealed windshield to address this in my opinion. I have seen some members on here that complained got it replaced though (after much back and forth with dealer).
Old 02-08-18, 08:59 AM
PaiMei
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Article about "Ghosting"

https://www.wired.com/2016/04/tesla-...double-vision/
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (02-08-18)
Old 07-24-18, 06:38 PM
jawa101
Driver School Candidate

I have the exact same issue with my 2017 NX 200, F3
I have been trying to get it sorted out with dealership for 8 months with no luck. They replaced the windshield once and problem persists. I cannot drive the car at night time

Last edited by jawa101; 07-24-18 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 10:44 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

interesting.

Is this only an issue on cars with HUDs?
Old 07-25-18, 12:33 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by reposado2
interesting.

That's what I was thinking.
Old 07-25-18, 06:00 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jawa101
I have the exact same issue with my 2017 NX 200, F3
I have been trying to get it sorted out with dealership for 8 months with no luck. They replaced the windshield once and problem persists. I cannot drive the car at night time

You can't drive at night??? It's not that bad, it's only some lights ghosting slightly. I think that is truly one of those "mind over matter " moments.
Old 07-25-18, 06:05 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by reposado2
interesting.

My understanding of this is the coating on the windscreen to repel rain is causing another reflection - remember it's a laminated screen (2 layers) plus the coating so 3 layers of reflections are going on, with the rake of the screen and the lights coming in at the correct angle, bingo you get these reflections.
Old 07-25-18, 07:15 PM
jawa101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
You can't drive at night??? It's not that bad, it's only some lights ghosting slightly. I think that is truly one of those "mind over matter " moments.
I have driven the car for 8 months, night time driving is not easy. I get headaches from it. I stopped driving the car unless I really need to.
I need to take breaks when I am driving at night for long hours. The pictures dont do justice because its mostly the brakes and upcoming vehicles lights that bother me the most. I could not capture it with my camera because it blurs at night more. Also the pictures I have show that the deflection is smaller size than the light. In reality its the same size. Driving on the highway during traffic is a nightmare.
The deflection is worse with distance, as the car approaches the deflection gets closer to the actual light. You could also see it during the day when its a bit cloudy.
Old 07-25-18, 08:06 PM
dnkyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RX do not have HUD, but I've may be a stupid question: Can we turn the HUD off?
Old 07-26-18, 05:50 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
My understanding of this is the coating on the windscreen to repel rain is causing another reflection .
The repellent coating is only on the front side windows:
manual: ■ Front side windows water-repellent coating
Old 07-26-18, 06:55 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by dnkyle
My RX do not have HUD, but I've may be a stupid question: Can we turn the HUD off?
My guess is they use a special windshield for the HUD option, so turning it off probably wouldn't matter.
The following users liked this post:
dnkyle (07-26-18)
Old 07-27-18, 09:09 AM
LED190E
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
My guess is they use a special windshield for the HUD option, so turning it off probably wouldn't matter.
Agreed, I also have a 2017 RX350 with all packages including HUD and I don't experience the so called "ghosting" effect. I'll try to take pictures tonight if I use it. Perhaps I've just been ignorant.

And to answer the original question, yes HUD can be turned off but as he said above, it probably wouldn't make a difference

Last edited by LED190E; 07-27-18 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Info added
Old 07-27-18, 09:02 PM
LED190E
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LED190E
Agreed, I also have a 2017 RX350 with all packages including HUD and I don't experience the so called "ghosting" effect. I'll try to take pictures tonight if I use it. Perhaps I've just been ignorant.

And to answer the original question, yes HUD can be turned off but as he said above, it probably wouldn't make a difference
UPDATE: I take it back, now that I looked for it, I do see slight ghosting. It's a case of "now you see it, you cant UN-see it" haha.

Though, it doesn't bug us much. (Good thing?) But yeah it's certainly there but at different perspectives for everyone. My guess is its partially due to the naturally steep angle of the front windshield coupled with the thickness of the usual double layered glass which causes some sort of refraction effect (sorry physics gurus if I stated that wrong)
Old 10-15-18, 01:04 PM
BPNBPN
Driver School Candidate

Default Ghosting Effect on Windsheild

We have 2018 RX450H F Sport (with HUD). I have used it for a month and starting to notice that the windshield is showing double images of each light during night time. For instance, I see two red signal lights instead of one (the duplicate one is slightly below the actual one). And it happens to almost all light sources as you see through the windshield. The farther the light source is, the easier you can notice this effect. Anyone has this issue? This looks like a huge miss in the quality.

Quick Reply: Ghosting through windshield, Lexus won't help?