RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 09:02 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by chunktwo
its only a $0.20 different between 87 and 93 around you??

wowza its like $0.70 here in MD..

but as pointed out by many in this thread.. i just follow the OEM recommendations..
Yes, but our regular in SoCal is $3.40
Old 01-24-18, 09:21 AM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
You can read in all you want. They require you to use a minimum of 87 octane. Using anything higher will not harm anything but your wallet. There is no performance advantage to using a higher octane, other than what your head wants to believe.
Where does it say there is no performance advantage using a higher octane.
The manual doesn't say.

Does it recommend 87 but can use 91?
Does it recommend 91 but can use 87?
The manual doesn't state.
I want to believe that the RX 350's engine is engineer to accept 87, but nobody can prove that, hence this thread exists.

This what 2017 Ford Mustang manual says.
2.3L EcoBoost and 5.0L V8 Engines We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.Some stations offer fuels posted as regular with an octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. We do not recommend fuels with an octane rating below 87.To provide improved performance, we recommend premium fuel for severe duty usage, such as trailer tow. ( lol at the race track they mean )

and in the specification section, it shows this 310 HP @ 5500rpm (93-octane fuel)

Again, the Lexus manual is very unclear.

Old 01-24-18, 09:27 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Lexus manual is very clear.
For RX350 it states use 87, what is unclear about it?
Old 01-24-18, 09:35 AM
Elation
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
Lexus manual is very clear.
For RX350 it states use 87, what is unclear about it?

The government site also believes that 87 is what it recommends.
But I want to see that from my own owner's manual.
When I asked the my sales guy at the dealer, he said he'd use Premium if I wanted to keep the car for a long time.
I can't argue that he's wrong because the manual doesn't state anything other than it recommends "87 or higher".
Old 01-24-18, 09:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Elation

When I asked the my sales guy at the dealer, he said he'd use Premium if I wanted to keep the car for a long time.
I can't argue that he's wrong because the manual doesn't state anything other than it recommends "87 or higher".
If you need it in writing, just grab a pen and add it yourself. I'm not sure how some people can sleep at night.
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 09:53 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Then just use 91. It comes down to it's your car and your money. As simple as that.
Old 01-24-18, 10:02 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

My sales guy only told me to use Premium to keep the injectors clean. But then again we can use one or twice a year the injector cleaner product into a full gaz tank...
Old 01-24-18, 10:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
My sales guy only told me to use Premium to keep the injectors clean. But then again we can use one or twice a year the injector cleaner product into a full gaz tank...
Why, does premium contain more detergents than regular unleaded?
Old 01-24-18, 10:06 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike728
Why, does premium contain more detergents than regular unleaded?
That is a good question. But that is what I was told by my salesman.
Old 01-24-18, 10:11 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

I read "select" or higher. Higher because if 87 can be used, there is no added benefits to use higher, but you CAN. But it is designed to use 87.
Again it's a matter of interpretation! You read that way, I instead read it that you may not go below 87, the engine is designed for premium, but thanks to the electronics it can compensate for lower octane up to a point, the computer will retard/advance before/after Top Dead Centre (BTDC/ATDC). Now there are other benefits to premium grade which are not apparent to the average driver, especially in engines with GDI one of which is the lower amount of deposit on valve-seats and piston-heads. Now I'm not talking to people who lease or only keep a vehicle for a couple of years, these will never see the benefit of premium gas. Those like me who keep a vehicle for 5 or more years will, they'll spend less money in maintenance, it's a bit of pay a little sooner or a lot later + inconvenience. The choice is ours!
Old 01-24-18, 10:18 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cocal
Again it's a matter of interpretation! You read that way, I instead read it that you may not go below 87, the engine is designed for premium, but thanks to the electronics it can compensate for lower octane up to a point, the computer will retard/advance before/after Top Dead Centre (BTDC/ATDC). Now there are other benefits to premium grade which are not apparent to the average driver, especially in engines with GDI one of which is the lower amount of deposit on valve-seats and piston-heads. Now I'm not talking to people who lease or only keep a vehicle for a couple of years, these will never see the benefit of premium gas. Those like me who keep a vehicle for 5 or more years will, they'll spend less money in maintenance, it's a bit of pay a little sooner or a lot later + inconvenience. The choice is ours!
Go check the link to Wikipedia I sent earlier.

Premium (91) gas does not contain more energy than regular (87). Premium only contains an agent that prevents the early detonation, giving a more precise timing on the time and duration of the blast of energy. The higher octane is really more effective for engines made to run at higher RPM (like sport cars).

For engines tuned for 87, get no gain in any way from premium (see the Wikipedia link, and there are studies that demonstrates that).
Old 01-24-18, 10:20 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

For engines tuned for 87, get no gain in any way from premium
Again, where does it say that it's tuned for 87? It's tuned for 91 but you may use 87 (thanks to the computer)
Old 01-24-18, 10:21 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The Lexus website states the minimum octane requirements. Hopefully this should clear up any confusion.
Attached Thumbnails What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?-octane.png  
PeeVee
Advanced

Again, where does it say that it's tuned for 87? It's tuned for 91 but you may use 87 (thanks to the computer)

If it was tuned for 91, the engine would be knocking and you would damage it.
sderman
Advanced

Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I was under the impression that "Top Tier" designated gasoline suppliers put the same amount of detergents and other additives in all grades so the only relevant difference between the grades is octane.

Quick Reply: What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?