RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-19, 01:42 PM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Bought a 2010 ES350 brand new back in the fall of 2009. Owners manual said premium recommended. Over the next 8 years I never put higher than 87 OCT in it and it never went into the shop for anything other than an air bag recall. Never heard a ping. Never had any problems whatsoever. These threads seem to be very popular this time of the year when a lot of first time higher end buyers indulge in their first semi luxury vehicle. I guess it runs against the grain for people that pay this price level on a vehicle when they are told all they need to put in it is Regular gas! Put whatever you are comfortable putting in it. The vehicle doesn’t care!
Old 12-20-19, 01:53 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lgb0250
Bought a 2010 ES350 brand new back in the fall of 2009. Owners manual said premium recommended. Over the next 8 years I never put higher than 87 OCT in it and it never went into the shop for anything other than an air bag recall. Never heard a ping. Never had any problems whatsoever. These threads seem to be very popular this time of the year when a lot of first time higher end buyers indulge in their first semi luxury vehicle. I guess it runs against the grain for people that pay this price level on a vehicle when they are told all they need to put in it is Regular gas! Put whatever you are comfortable putting in it. The vehicle doesn’t care!
Yeah it might be a hard step up for people who drove cars that only required regular grade gas. I was driving some old "luxury" cars that required premium when I first started driving, being young and broke I tried using regular but the car just didn't drive right. I think people should try using lower tier gas if they don't notice anything wrong with the engine, or just stick with the recommended gas.
Old 12-20-19, 02:07 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
I agree, but would have to say that spending more than you need to, just because the manual says so, might be considered a waste of resources. I would not agree that buying a Lexus over a Kia is wasteful. It could be extravagant.
Good point. The Lexus is a tangible benefit. Premium vs. regular - most here don't even notice any difference.
Old 12-20-19, 02:20 PM
SilverFire
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I use 87 octane.

I bought the Lexus RX 350 just because it didn't require the higher. Then again it is 1.15L in winter and upwards of 1.30L for the 87 come summer, where the 93 Octane in my area from winter to summer is around 1.25 per Liter to 1.50 per L. So almost 3.8 L per gallon the premium stuff can get pretty pricey come summer per tank.

Old 12-20-19, 03:09 PM
HybridRxH
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

87 Regular for my RX 2020 as per the manual, though I only go to gas stations that are associated with top tier (e.g. Mobil, Shell etc.)
Old 12-20-19, 03:53 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I am in Calgary AB. All cars in my family run on Shell premium all the time. If one notices no difference between two grade of fuel, so be it.
In my case I notice the difference even between different brands. Going to the Rockies with fully loaded vehicle, punching the gas pedal to
avoid a dangerous situation I never hear knocking. Someone who does not feel the different, then it is good for him or her. I expect max performance
from the car I drive at all times which needs good fuel. I drove company cars for over 40 years. When I retired I tried all the cars I wanted, Lexus and
mostly German brand. After all, I settled down on Mercedes AMG, BMW M series. Lexus makes good cars reliable and luxurious but it lacks fun factor.
At the age of 80 I and son have fun on the track from now and then he driving BMW M series with manual shift, I driving Mercedes AMG with automatic shift.
Our 0 to 60 is always little over 3 sec. All our cars are stock without any mod. We know we can squeeze out at least 100 horses more with remapped chip.

It's your car you ought to do whatever you want including filling her up. This debate on what fuel to fill on my car, your car is perpetually going on. If I go to BMW,
Porsche or Mercedes forum I don't see anything about discussing fuel requirement for their cars.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (12-21-19)
Old 12-21-19, 03:07 AM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I am in Calgary AB. All cars in my family run on Shell premium all the time. If one notices no difference between two grade of fuel, so be it.
In my case I notice the difference even between different brands. Going to the Rockies with fully loaded vehicle, punching the gas pedal to
avoid a dangerous situation I never hear knocking. Someone who does not feel the different, then it is good for him or her. I expect max performance
from the car I drive at all times which needs good fuel. I drove company cars for over 40 years. When I retired I tried all the cars I wanted, Lexus and
mostly German brand. After all, I settled down on Mercedes AMG, BMW M series. Lexus makes good cars reliable and luxurious but it lacks fun factor.
At the age of 80 I and son have fun on the track from now and then he driving BMW M series with manual shift, I driving Mercedes AMG with automatic shift.
Our 0 to 60 is always little over 3 sec. All our cars are stock without any mod. We know we can squeeze out at least 100 horses more with remapped chip.

It's your car you ought to do whatever you want including filling her up. This debate on what fuel to fill on my car, your car is perpetually going on. If I go to BMW,
Porsche or Mercedes forum I don't see anything about discussing fuel requirement for their cars.
Squeezing out that extra 100 hp is what it’s all about when I drive my BMW. I run a stage 2 tune on 93 oct so no, there is never a discussion about what octane I put in it. But, that is my boy toy and the RX is my wife’s and as such 87 oct works just fine for her.
Old 12-21-19, 07:13 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

If I remember correctly Lexus manual recommend premium fuel. I Mercedes manual it specifies minimum fuel Octane 91 with
a warning, engine problem with use of less fuel is not covered with warranty. I believe ECM remembers what grade fuel is used.
It has a scratch pad storing engine running parameters meaning you can't argue with stored information. Octane requirement also
depends on the terrain the car is mostly drive. Our altitude is ~3,300 feet. If we drive to Rockies it becomes almost doulble that.
For those who lives near sea level can get by with 87 Octane. Premium fuel has more cleaning agents to help keep engine clean.
Cocal (12-21-19)
Old 12-21-19, 07:39 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

If I remember correctly Lexus manual recommend premium fuel. I Mercedes manual it specifies minimum fuel Octane 91 with
a warning, engine problem with use of less fuel is not covered with warranty. I believe ECM remembers what grade fuel is used.
It has a scratch pad storing engine running parameters meaning you can't argue with stored information. Octane requirement also
depends on the terrain the car is mostly drive. Our altitude is ~3,300 feet. If we drive to Rockies it becomes almost doulble that.
For those who lives near sea level can get by with 87 Octane. Premium fuel has more cleaning agents to help keep engine clean.
I live in the Colorado Rockies and have never used premium in any vehicle. The latest generation of vehicles have anti knock software, which eliminates any need to worry about knock. I have no way to compare performance, but I always have plenty of power when driving over high mountain passes. There is no loss or warranty if regular gas is used in a Toyota.
Old 12-21-19, 10:00 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 358 Posts

My 2017 RX350's manual, page 678, says 87 or higher. That's not recommending premium fuel.
I use 93 octane in mine because I put very few miles on it and, well, just because!
Old 12-21-19, 11:58 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

2016 450h owners manual:

Select premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine performance. If 91 octane cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number 91). Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 may result in engine knocking and significantly reduced performance. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline.
That seems to describe what a lot of folks are doing - go with 87 and just make sure you aren't "persistently knocking". Which seems like an odd disclaimer because the engine shouldn't even allow knocking.

I just go with 91. I don't put enough miles on the car to make the savings more than $7-8/month.
Old 12-21-19, 12:27 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
My 2017 RX350's manual, page 678, says 87 or higher...
So does my 2018. As a person who was already driving when leaded gas was phased out, and remembers well the phenomenon called "spark knock", I interpret this phrase in the manual as follows:

"The computer is able to retard the ignition timing far enough that even 87 octane gas (mostly) won't knock."

Last edited by dibl; 12-21-19 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-21-19, 01:47 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
So does my 2018. As a person who was already driving when leaded gas was phased out, and remembers well the phenomenon called "spark knock", I interpret this phrase in the manual as follows:

"The computer is able to retard the ignition timing far enough that even 87 octane gas (mostly) won't knock."
I would reinterpret your phrase to be, the car is designed to run on 87 completely normally. Not (mostly). Cars don't experience preignition (spark knock) anymore. If it does knock, there's a problem with the car, not the gas.
Old 12-21-19, 02:06 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
.... the car is designed to run on 87 completely normally.
OK, perhaps.

But one would think, if that were literally true, that the manuals would say "87 octane gas is recommended." I say, there's a reason why they don't say that.
Old 12-21-19, 03:19 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dibl
OK, perhaps.

But one would think, if that were literally true, that the manuals would say "87 octane gas is recommended." I say, there's a reason why they don't say that.
I'm going to guess they don't say "recommend" because their published hp and mpg values are based on optimal engine operation, which would require 91. The language in my manual basically says as much - "if you want optimal performance, use this gas". They probably can't recommend a gas that can't achieve their published performance statistics.
dibl (12-21-19)

Quick Reply: What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?