RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 08:31 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
Re the warranty, how does Lexus know whether you are using reg or prem?? I've never been asked that question by any service dept.
I asked my service manager about this and the warranty and he laughed and said that the fuel you use will not void warranty. He said the only gas problems they have are people with contaminated fuel. Just a little too much water will mess up the system big time.
Old 07-30-17, 10:24 AM
ssmtsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
i have two of them and they love regular. Even my LX loves regular. Of course it would not know Premium as even my dealer filled all of my vehicles with regular before delivery.

Like me I have said before, this is near a religious thing and each has to choose what you think is best.

The oil companies love the extra money. You may not be getting the octane you think as my station told me they get the regular tanks filled sometime twice a week while the premium is over a month. Fuel does lose octane over time so another reason to use regular for me, it is fresh. LOL!

Life is full of choices, pick your poison.
i feel like your dealership should have at least filled them up with the recommended octane at delivery. My dealership gets their gas from the local Sunoco and they filled my hybrid up with Premium. If your vehicles are running fine on regular I guess it really doesn't matter though!
Old 07-30-17, 10:35 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ssmtsx
i feel like your dealership should have at least filled them up with the recommended octane at delivery. My dealership gets their gas from the local Sunoco and they filled my hybrid up with Premium. If your vehicles are running fine on regular I guess it really doesn't matter though!
Would rather them fill it up a top tier gas like BP who is the company that delivers to the dealer tanks. Just kidding. There are no Sunoco stations down here.
Old 07-30-17, 06:03 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

I asked my service manager about this and the warranty and he laughed and said that the fuel you use will not void warranty. He said the only gas problems they have are people with contaminated fuel. Just a little too much water will mess up the system big time.
The question was how would Lexus know what gasoline you are using??
Old 07-31-17, 01:23 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nail34
The question was how would Lexus know what gasoline you are using??
That for clearing that up, so . . . . .
Old 07-31-17, 04:44 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine seems to run better on 93oct. Always had a rough idle and some intermittent knocking. After two tanks the idle is solid and I haven't heard any knocking. Lets face i purchased a Lexus, the few extra pennies for high test isn't going to break me.
Old 07-31-17, 05:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tdjacw
Mine seems to run better on 93oct. Always had a rough idle and some intermittent knocking. After two tanks the idle is solid and I haven't heard any knocking. Lets face i purchased a Lexus, the few extra pennies for high test isn't going to break me.
I did not buy Lexus to over pay for fuel.
Down here it can be 80 extra pennies of which still is not that big of a deal.
You are hearing knocking while it idles? Todays modern vehicles almost eliminate knocking.

If you "think" it runs better on 93, that is all that really matters.

We all have choice.
Old 07-31-17, 06:44 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

I did not buy Lexus to over pay for fuel.
Down here it can be 80 extra pennies of which still is not that big of a deal.
You are hearing knocking while it idles? Todays modern vehicles almost eliminate knocking.

If you "think" it runs better on 93, that is all that really matters.

We all have choice.
Only heard it knock a few times and its was always going p an incline and after it shifter into a high gear to soon.
Since using the 93 the idle is smoother and have not heard any knocking. Don't get me wrong the knocking was slight but it was definitely there. No stranger to this as most drivers probably wouldn't even pick up on it.
Old 07-31-17, 07:25 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I would say you have a problem as most knocking is taken care of almost instantly buy the computer. Maybe the placebo effect.

No matter, enjoy.
Old 07-31-17, 08:11 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Solution: Fill up only with Top-Tier REGULAR gas in RX350 (Premium gas in RX450), purchasing higher octane than the recommended is a waste of $$$. RX350 does have a high compression ratio of 11.8 (13 for RX450), but this is 2017 and by now they know how to properly feed the engine to eliminate knocking.

tdjacw, Can you record a short video of the knocking that you hear?
Old 07-31-17, 12:18 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
Solution: Fill up only with Top-Tier REGULAR gas in RX350 (Premium gas in RX450), purchasing higher octane than the recommended is a waste of $$$. RX350 does have a high compression ratio of 11.8 (13 for RX450), but this is 2017 and by now they know how to properly feed the engine to eliminate knocking.

Been running 93 oct for a while now, I have no more knocking under any situation and the idle is rock solid.
I don't plan on switching back to regular. I only put about 7k miles a year so its really not a lot of extra money.
Old 07-31-17, 01:35 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Lexus knows that some people will use the cheapest fuel it can find and it does not depend on you "feeding the engine" as recommended, so it makes an engine and CPU that will, with out hesitation, do what it takes to stop knocking no matter what octane.
Old 07-31-17, 01:42 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I fill up with 91 octane if i get gas at Costco ($2.85/gallon in cheap part of Los Angeles area)

I fill up with 89 octane everywhere else...
Old 07-31-17, 01:48 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skiracer
I fill up with 91 octane if i get gas at Costco ($2.85/gallon in cheap part of Los Angeles area)

I fill up with 89 octane everywhere else...
and I thought I was overpaying at $2.13 a gallon for regular.
Old 07-31-17, 02:23 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Where does it say "Recommended" It never ceases to amaze me how/what people read in the manual and how they interpret it.
Just because the engine can cope with 87 it doesn't mean that's recommended. This is from my Owner's Manual page 739....
Except EU area:
You must only use unleaded gasoline.
Select unleaded gasoline with a Research Octane Number of 95 or higher for optimum engine performance.
Of course one can put in whatever fuel one wants.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (08-01-17)

Quick Reply: What fuel grade are you using in your RX350?