RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Cruise Control Engine Revving

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 02:20 PM
currybob
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been really looking to see if there was a setting or adjustment with no luck.

Most vehicles will go over or under something like 3-4 mph difference, especially going down hill before down shifts to lower gear. This one does it with 1 mph and feels like it's using breaks at first to slower speed immediately.

I've gotten to where I turn the cruse off when going downhill to keep it from doing that, I like getting all the MPGs I can.

Only thing about this car I wish was different, so that is saying something about how well I like it. LOL
Old 08-21-17, 12:34 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by currybob
I've been really looking to see if there was a setting or adjustment with no luck.

Most vehicles will go over or under something like 3-4 mph difference, especially going down hill before down shifts to lower gear. This one does it with 1 mph and feels like it's using breaks at first to slower speed immediately.

I've gotten to where I turn the cruse off when going downhill to keep it from doing that, I like getting all the MPGs I can.

Only thing about this car I wish was different, so that is saying something about how well I like it. LOL
kudos. You have such a diverse line of cars to choose from each day. An all American Muscle Car, a true Truck, and a Crossover.
Old 08-21-17, 01:15 PM
currybob
Rookie

Originally Posted by satnav
kudos. You have such a diverse line of cars to choose from each day. An all American Muscle Car, a true Truck, and a Crossover.
Thanks, I am very blessed! LOL
The Hellcat was a retirement gift to myself and oh what fun that thing is, makes me feel 20 again!
The 2018 Ford is on order and due in new month. I currently have a 2015 exactly the same as what I ordered and it has been a great truck!
Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control Engine Revving-20160628_151909_resized.jpg   Cruise Control Engine Revving-2015kr-023.jpg  
Old 08-22-17, 09:16 AM
pprj
Driver

Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Guys,
I just joined this forum a few minutes ago. Reading everything to decide if a RX350 is in my future.
We currently have 3 cars: Toyota Sienna, Audi S4 and Porsche 911 and it's time to trade in the Audi and move to something else.
I wanted to chime in here because this "using the gearbox to reduce speed" issue actually bothers me a bit.
Anecdotally, please know that the 911 does exactly the same thing with the gearbox. And the 911 is not shy, believe me. 4k RPM? It does that all the time. It goes even higher. It is quite annoying and very ineffective when compared to the way the Audi implements this.
The Audi, on the other hand, never uses the gearbox, relying on the brakes only. Also, even on steep climbs, the Audi is never more than 1mph off the set speed, up or downhill. It is quite impressive and very precise.
The Toyota is the worst. I usually see variations up to 4 mpg uphill. And I'm not convinced the car is doing anything at all to control the speed downhill. I once saw the speed 7 mph above the set value on a long downhill.
The use of the gearbox bothers me for several reasons:
1) as we know, the engine wear is proportionate to the square of the RPM. So pushing the engine to 4k RPM from, let's say, 1.5k RPM causes unnecessary stress and wear on engine components. The wear is, in this particular example, 7 times worse! Not 100% worse, not 200%, But 700% worse. Not good.
2) This is not how we drive regularly. If we were in control of the car we would first try a quick stab on the brakes to reduce speed. Only on very long downhills we - humans - would downshift. So the computer is driving using a technique that I call unnatural. It translates to a very unpleasant driving experience, specially if you live in an region with lots of rolling hills and
3) Brake pads are cheap to replace! Very cheap actually. So use the brakes!!!! Do not stress my engine, please!
Anyways, I just wanted to share that even cars that are supposedly high tier, like a modern 911, use downshifts to control the cruise control. I don't like it and I'm happy I'm not the only one. :-)
Anyways, nice to meet you all. I will read it all, browse several discussions here as the RX 350 is certainly in my short list.
Thanks.

Last edited by pprj; 08-22-17 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-22-17, 09:33 AM
currybob
Rookie

Originally Posted by pprj
Guys,
I just joined this forum a few minutes ago. Reading everything to decide if a RX350 is in my future.
We currently have 3 cars: Toyota Sienna, Audi S4 and Porsche 911 and it's time to trade in the Audi and move to something else.
I wanted to chime in here because this "using the gearbox to reduce speed" issue actually bothers me a bit.
Anecdotally, please know that the 911 does exactly the same thing with the gearbox. And the 911 is not shy, believe me. 4k RPM? It does that all the time. It goes even higher. It is quite annoying and very ineffective when compared to the way the Audi implements this.
The Audi, on the other hand, never uses the gearbox, relying on the brakes only. Also, even on steep climbs, the Audi is never more than 1mph off the set speed, up or downhill. It is quite impressive and very precise.
The Toyota is the worst. I usually see variations up to 4 mpg uphill. And I'm not convinced the car is doing anything at all to control the speed downhill. I once saw the speed 7 mph above the set value on a long downhill.
1) as we know, the engine wear is proportionate to the square of the RPM. So pushing the engine to 4k RPM from, let's say, 1.5k RPM causes unnecessary stress and wear on engine components. The wear is, in this particular example, 7 times worse! Not 100% worse, not 200%, But 700% worse. Not good.
2) This is not how we drive regularly. If we were in control of the car we would first try a quick stab on the brakes to reduce speed. Only on very long downhills we - humans - would downshift. So the computer is driving using a technique that I call unnatural. It translates to a very unpleasant driving experience, specially if you live in an region with lots of rolling hills and
3) Brake pads are cheap to replace! Very cheap actually. So use the brakes!!!! Do not stress my engine, please!
Anyways, I just wanted to share that even car that are supposedly high tier, like a modern 911, use downshifts to control the cruise control. I don't like it and I'm happy I'm not the only one. :-)
Anyways, nice to meet you all. I will read it all, browse several discussions here as the RX 350 is certainly in my short list.
Thanks.
Very good write up and welcome to forum, glad to have ya!!

My point about the cruse is not the use of the down shift but the how it jumps to it so quickly with just correcting 1 mph. If you hit resume and are currently running several miles over the set cruse speed, it will apply breaks as well and downshifting, so be aware. Guess however that is better than just using the downshift.

If I get to a long down grade, I will down shift, not to protect the break pads but to prevent the breaks from overheating and fading. Saying that though, I will not downshift so much that I rev the RPMs to 4k, in fact I probably stay under 3k RPMs. I will actually use both, partial breaking and lower gear. Remember, the engine may be at higher RPMs but they are non-load RPMs and actually more load on the tranny than engine. Just my thoughts on that.
The following users liked this post:
milk659 (08-25-17)
Old 08-22-17, 09:35 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't notice too much variation going up a hill but down is a different story. I find it more of a nuisance in hilly areas. Combined with fellow motorists slowing down, up a hill and speeding up, down a hill, I just turn it off. Most conditions it works well but I probably only use it 2-5% of my driving time. Not a deal breaker for consideration of purchase.
Old 08-22-17, 09:38 AM
FastFord
Racer

"If you hit resume and are currently running several miles over the set cruse speed, it will apply breaks as well and downshifting, so be aware."

+1 and the dirty look from the passenger!
Old 08-22-17, 09:41 AM
currybob
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastFord
I don't notice too much variation going up a hill but down is a different story. I find it more of a nuisance in hilly areas. Combined with fellow motorists slowing down, up a hill and speeding up, down a hill, I just turn it off. Most conditions it works well but I probably only use it 2-5% of my driving time. Not a deal breaker for consideration of purchase.
I totally agree with you on that. I love this car and had my choice of many others but have owned several Lexus cars and a few older RX models with excellent results so it was a no brainer for me. I was nick picking and if there was a way to adjust this issue some, it would bring the car my much closer to perfect for me and I am very picky. LOL
Old 08-22-17, 09:42 AM
currybob
Rookie

Originally Posted by FastFord
"If you hit resume and are currently running several miles over the set cruse speed, it will apply breaks as well and downshifting, so be aware."

+1 and the dirty look from the passenger!
And the cars in your rear.
Old 08-22-17, 11:31 AM
FastFord
Racer

Nothing wrong with being picky! is there ? lol
currybob (08-22-17)
Old 08-22-17, 01:04 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by pprj
Guys,
Anyways, I just wanted to share that even cars that are supposedly high tier, like a modern 911, use downshifts to control the cruise control. I don't like it and I'm happy I'm not the only one. :-)
Thanks.
Do you drive over mountains a lot that requires you do downshift or something? Under normal driving conditions I couldn't even worry. Lexus is #1 in reliability and there are many old RXs still driving around today. You don't see this with old BMWs, Audi, or Mercedes SUVs.

If you're really worried and you love technology, get the 450h for really what is $2670 more. That doesn't even factor in the cost of maintenance items like brakes, which don't need to be replaced as often.
Old 08-25-17, 11:03 AM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Happens to me as well. Just tap your brakes lightly, this disengages the cruise control and RPMs drop. When they fall to where they should be, resume cruise control.
Old 08-25-17, 01:35 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by milk659
Happens to me as well. Just tap your brakes lightly, this disengages the cruise control and RPMs drop. When they fall to where they should be, resume cruise control.
I'm sorry but I don't get it? You buy a car that is full of advanced technology to make driving easier and safer and yet you want to disconnect and override it when it's doing its thing and operating as it should Just as every other intelligent cruise control does
Nail34 (08-25-17)
Old 08-26-17, 04:37 PM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
I'm sorry but I don't get it? You buy a car that is full of advanced technology to make driving easier and safer and yet you want to disconnect and override it when it's doing its thing and operating as it should Just as every other intelligent cruise control does
I fully agree with you. But what I wrote is how I dealt with the situation. In ideal world the car should apply brakes not rev up to slow down. What can i say? Lexus hasnt mastered the technology yet. (now you see the backlash I will get for saying that).

Check out a thread I started how the things arent all good with my new RX.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-rx-350-a.html

My Audi did not have any creaks, did not have any connectivity issues, the cruise control worked flawlessley ... I can go on and on. But in reality I own a Lexus now, whihc i preferred due to comfort. My 2 cents: if you want cutting edge technology, german car is a way to go.

Oh, and if you find a way to fix the revving up issue without touching the pedals, please do share.

Just found out my thread is CLOSED. I just wanted to post what was found to be the issue for ratting. I guess that will remain a secret with me
Old 08-26-17, 05:02 PM
currybob
Rookie

At least the cruse control is some of the best design layouts I know.

With very little learning you can totally operate it without taking your eyes off the road. You can easily just feel to turn on, activate, increase 1 mph, decrease 1 mph and deactivate. I have owned many different vehicles and Toyota and I believe it was Porsche, had the type of design.

We have also owned many Toyota vehicles over the years and while the controller was the same design the breaking/downshifting over 1 mph is unique to Lexus. We traded a 2017 Tacoma for this RX and it would not react to down shift till it was 3-4 mph over and never applied breaking to it.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Engine Revving