RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 350 vs Audi Q5

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-17, 02:12 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Adding to the styling debate.

It's good Lexus is pushing away the stereotypical soccer mom female driver with the styling and targeting a younger crowd. Unfortunately only the F Sport does this. The regular is still a half-bridge for the age and gender gap.

Volvos to me are for old folks. I haven't seen a XC90 driver without a full head of white hair or baldness. Inflammatory? Oops.
Old 07-20-17, 04:25 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

^^to me, almost all SUV are stereotypical soccer mom vehicles or mall crawlers. Few exceptions are Cayenne Turbo or Wrangler Rubicon.
Old 07-20-17, 04:28 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

But.... it's sooo sexyy
The following 5 users liked this post by aznkorboi:
astinus4 (07-23-17), ericsan13 (07-21-17), GoHuskers (07-21-17), kent2174 (07-20-17), Nail34 (07-21-17)
Old 07-20-17, 05:41 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Hands down, the nicest interior I've ever owned was a 2015 BMW X5 with the Mocha Nappa Leather and Black leather trimmed doors and dash. Was the only vehicle I have owned that I had a zero tolerance policy on eating in the car!
Old 07-20-17, 06:31 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
I like the front and the LED headlights. But for the rest of the body: too square. The lines are not fluid like the Lexus or Infinity.

The interior is square too, just look at the console, straight lines. I know someone who has it (2017) and I did not like it. Prefer my 2016 RX. My only concern was that the silver (which is the best looking of all colors) came only with black interior.

I agree (I don't recall who mentionned it) that the choice of leather by Lexus could have been better.
Silver is available with noble brown interior as well.
Old 07-21-17, 07:56 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Silver is available with noble brown interior as well.
Not in Canada it wasn't... Black only.

I wanted the dark gray at first to get the noble brown but my wife prefered Silver. Which I like too, but I wish I could have the noble brown.
Old 07-21-17, 06:25 PM
Rglaz
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New here and ready to pull the trigger on a new RX350. My wife test drove the Q5 as well and is on the fence as to which one she prefers. The RX is a few thousand more and has a few more perqs. Thoughts? The 2.0 liter turbo in the Audi makes me a bit nervous.
The 2.0 liter turbo in my opinion is too small of an motor for the Q5 and I am not sure if you will get the trouble free miles from the turbo engine as you would with a normally aspirated motor. At about 150,00 miles my Audis developed DUMB problems..I think the Lexus will be more trouble free but a bit of a numb handler compared to any of the german brands !
Old 07-22-17, 05:12 AM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe Audi has changed, but I had 2005 Audi A6 purchased from an Audi dealer with a balance of a factory warranty and CPO. It seemed right after the factory ended problems started happening. Airbag light coming on repeatedly, Navigation System error, Electronic key that would not always work, Air Con fail fail, the light goes on. On top of that the dealer's service department was awful, rude and everything was a battle to be in warranty. Also they ran out of loaners. Don't get me wrong great interior and the real aluminum trim was a nice touch compared to Lexus silver plastic. Also Quattro was better then the AWD in the RX that is 100% sure.

Had a 2010 RX with factory warranty, and CPO. Never really had any issues. I think the suspension and related components where replaced, but all under warranty. Heard some rattles under CPO warranty took apart the dash under warranty. Bought a 2016 RX just because I wanted new technology. I am sure the 2010 is running like a champ for its 2nd owner.
Old 07-22-17, 05:41 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rglaz
The 2.0 liter turbo in my opinion is too small of an motor for the Q5 and I am not sure if you will get the trouble free miles from the turbo engine as you would with a normally aspirated motor. At about 150,00 miles my Audis developed DUMB problems..I think the Lexus will be more trouble free but a bit of a numb handler compared to any of the german brands !
Great input. I agree on the 4 cyl turbo. I'd only consider iine if I was leasing which I've never done.
Old 07-22-17, 05:44 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by satnav
Maybe Audi has changed, but I had 2005 Audi A6 purchased from an Audi dealer with a balance of a factory warranty and CPO. It seemed right after the factory ended problems started happening. Airbag light coming on repeatedly, Navigation System error, Electronic key that would not always work, Air Con fail fail, the light goes on. On top of that the dealer's service department was awful, rude and everything was a battle to be in warranty. Also they ran out of loaners. Don't get me wrong great interior and the real aluminum trim was a nice touch compared to Lexus silver plastic. Also Quattro was better then the AWD in the RX that is 100% sure.

Had a 2010 RX with factory warranty, and CPO. Never really had any issues. I think the suspension and related components where replaced, but all under warranty. Heard some rattles under CPO warranty took apart the dash under warranty. Bought a 2016 RX just because I wanted new technology. I am sure the 2010 is running like a champ for its 2nd owner.
I wanna know how the 2012+ are doing because this is the exact reason I didn't want to get any other car but a Lexus
Old 07-22-17, 10:19 AM
DanG84
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I wanna know how the 2012+ are doing because this is the exact reason I didn't want to get any other car but a Lexus
Mostly electrical problems, not engine problems
Old 07-22-17, 11:05 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DanG84
Mostly electrical problems, not engine problems
That's a relief. However, my friend has a 2009 BMW and one of her brake lights went out. After a month later they find out it's some circuit board that needs to be replaced costing over $500. I wish it was as simple as replacing the bulb haha. These are the issues I am hoping Lexus doesn't have with these newer cars and the reasons why I would love to but can't justify getting a german car.
Old 07-22-17, 04:50 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I pulled the trigger today on the RX - will pick it up Monday. White, black interior with NAV and the 20" wheels. Love the look of it. I sat in an FSport and couldn't believe how uncomfortable the seats were. That was a deal breaker even though my wife preferred the interior with the aluminum trim.
Old 07-22-17, 06:10 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I pulled the trigger today on the RX - will pick it up Monday. White, black interior with NAV and the 20" wheels. Love the look of it. I sat in an FSport and couldn't believe how uncomfortable the seats were. That was a deal breaker even though my wife preferred the interior with the aluminum trim.
the seats need some time to adjust. I couldn't get comfy until I took a 5 hour road trip and incrementally adjusted the seat. Now that it's dialed in, I love em. As for the sq5, I couldn't get comfy on the test drive, doesn't mean I can't dial them in either though.
Old 07-22-17, 07:11 PM
DanG84
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats, make sure you test the car for drone, drive 40MPH then accelerate slowly

Quick Reply: RX 350 vs Audi Q5