RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Phone charging station

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 10:01 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Phone charging station

I am considering a 2017 RX350 with the Executive Pkg in Canada...which basically means that it gets every option save for the rear dvd system. Included in that list is the wireless phone charging station. I am recent convert to iPhone and have a 6s. I know certain phones need nothing extra to make them work on that charger. Can someone tell me if it is possible to make the 6s work on that station --what do i need to add if anything? how well does it work? any issues with it?

Please advise

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL
Old 05-23-17, 11:46 AM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I found this on the web regards smartphone charging in the RX350
*While the Latitude works seamlessly with the Qi/PMA transmitter, the current wireless charging pad in every vehicle model is too small to accommodate the iPhone 7 Plus, 6 Plus and 6s Plus (or similarly large handsets.) This issue does not affect users with smaller handsets such as the iPhone 7, 6 and 6s.
Old 05-24-17, 04:45 AM
dentate
Driver

Thanks. I already tried my iPhone 6s and it seems to be fine as far as fitting on the charger...I just need to know what to do with it to make it work.

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, Fl
Old 05-24-17, 06:11 AM
joeRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Mophie Juice Pack case that supports the wireless charging standard Qi/PMA on my Iphone and it works great.
Old 05-24-17, 09:08 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

You can buy pads and cases that allows you to add wireless charging to iphone. I use the wireless charger for my Note 5 and it works perfectly. It's the same size as iPhone 7+

Just out of curiosity, you are buying in Canada even though your are in Florida and Oshawa. Was the price in Ontario close to what it would be for the same options in Florida?
Old 05-24-17, 11:46 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The Qi charger is more of a maintainer than a charger. Better to use a good 12v adapter in a power port.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (05-24-17)
Old 05-24-17, 12:56 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
The Qi charger is more of a maintainer than a charger. Better to use a good 12v adapter in a power port.
I agree with that. I have a friend who uses one on his iPhone and it take an hour to move the battery a couple percent.

I hope the new iPhone 8 does better on it's home charger pad.
Old 05-24-17, 02:07 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I agree with that. I have a friend who uses one on his iPhone and it take an hour to move the battery a couple percent.

I hope the new iPhone 8 does better on it's home charger pad.
wireless charging will always loose some power in the transmission. The Qi standard at 1A draw is about 60-65% efficient when the coils are best aligned. The efficiency drops in relation to distances, orientation, and separation from the coils. Roughly, it will take about twice as long to charge wirelessly than with a direct cable.

For the original question, no iPhone includes the circuitry for wireless charging. You will need to purchase a case with the wireless receiver. iQi Mobile, Mophie, Bezalel, and FLI are some that come to mind.
Old 06-08-17, 09:46 AM
dentate
Driver

Thanks to everyone for their responses... Toyotaman7 - I am a snowbird but my permanent home is in Canada where i spend 7 months vs 5 in Florida. There are issues bringing a brand new vehicle sold in the USA back to Canada even though it was built in Cambridge ON.... In addition, some of the items included on a RX destined for sale in Canada are not included on one for sale in the USA... eg.. floor mats are usually not included and we get 2 sets both the carpet ones (even though the Walmart type of carpeting is out of place in a vehicle of this price range - Lexus needs to look at the carpeting in the new Audi Q5) and the all weather ones which are now tub style with dead pedal covering in the style of Weathertech, we also get wheel locks, mudflaps and a few other bits --but US vehicles have Lexus Enform included with navigation which includes emergency features (think ONStar) which Lexus will not even offer us but US customers have no problem accessing while travelling here (we continue to be second class citizens). So even though both are RX's we are not quite comparing apples to apples.... The top of the line package at Lexus of Sarasota was about $61,000 USD vs $72,000 CDN...then factor in the exchange rate at at least 1.36 and you will find out quickly that it is less expensive for us to buy one here. US customers are allowed to custom factory order their vehicle (if they are prepared for a 4 month wait) from the factory in Cambridge and of course we get to shop from standard, luxury or executive packages (not taking into account F-Sport - which does not interest me at all). I am getting the Executive package as i like both the Mark Levinson sound system, which has been heads and shoulders above even the upgraded Lexus system in every one of the RX's I have had so far, as well as the Head Up display --as for the rest of the bits in the package such as the pano sunroof and the power folding rear seats, the phone charging station I could easily dispense with as they are not useful to me.... if I were a permanent US resident i would not get this package but rather the one below it (the name I forget) and add ML and HUD to it and wait 4 months. At least, Lexus Canada has continued to not include the rear DVD entertainment system on their top package as they used to do....after much goading on my part. I am moving on a 2017 now as I have no interest in a third row seat which according to my sources is due in the 2018, which should debut in Dec 2017. Hope that helps.

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL
Old 06-09-17, 02:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

My eyes hurt!
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (06-09-17)
Old 06-10-17, 02:48 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I guess Canadians don't believe in paragraphs? Similar to someone talking without pausing and breathing.

I know its possible to import a Canadian car or Japanese car to America after paying fees, taxes and paperwork. Wonder why you just cant do the same with American cars too?
Old 06-10-17, 03:52 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Thanks Dentate. That answered my question.

When the exchange rate was at part, I imported a used Sienna from USA and it was Lots of hassle and lots of paperwork. I could not buy and bring a new car since Toyota, like all the other manufacturers, prohibited that. So, I understand that part.
Old 06-10-17, 06:14 PM
dentate
Driver

I won't get into what constitutes a paragraph or why i did not bother to separate anything.

Toyotaman7 - As I understand it RIV Canada (the import agency), also prohibits one for bringing back a brand new or current model year vehicle. At least, neither the Sienna nor the RX would be subject to the 9% import duty assessed on vehicles built outside of North America.

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL
Old 06-10-17, 06:38 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by dentate
I won't get into what constitutes a paragraph or why i did not bother to separate anything.

Toyotaman7 - As I understand it RIV Canada (the import agency), also prohibits one for bringing back a brand new or current model year vehicle. At least, neither the Sienna nor the RX would be subject to the 9% import duty assessed on vehicles built outside of North America.

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL

Yes, it's duty free for NOW.