RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX350 2016 Rear Door Opens by itself

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-17, 06:07 PM
Pzenk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX350 2016 Rear Door Opens by itself

Has any one else heard of this problem?
The following users liked this post:
HowardR (02-16-24)
Old 05-11-17, 06:43 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

If you're referring to the tailgate...most likely someone accidentally pressed the button on the keyfob or stood too close to the hands-free sensor.
Old 05-11-17, 07:02 PM
Pzenk
Driver School Candidate

The rear door has opened several times. The last time in the garage while we were on vacation. It was open when we came back. Another time at a shopping center while my wife was on the passenger side and I was shopping.
Old 05-11-17, 07:08 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear hatch opening

I was told there is a sensitivity adjustment to the ECU for the sensor. I had the opposite effect. Mine did not want to open. Now it opens fine after having been adjusted. You might want to inquire about this with your Lexus dealer.
Old 05-11-17, 07:16 PM
Pzenk
Driver School Candidate

I have been to the Lexus dealer twice. They have been unable to duplicate the problem. It happens randomly, it can occur weeks later.
Old 05-12-17, 09:13 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Was the button pressed on your keyfob while in your pocket?
Old 05-12-17, 11:32 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
Was the button pressed on your keyfob while in your pocket?
Not while the OP was on vacation
Old 05-12-17, 12:57 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Could be a FOB issue with one or both of them. Might need to isolate one and/or the other. You could also have a short/ground in the hatch device. Maybe keep your fob out of pockets or a purse.

Check the latch (on the bumper part) and make sure there is not something loose or rolling around, like a small stone etc. Make sure the latch in the tailgate is solid, might want to add some lube.

Make sure there is not a cargo mat or blanket that might be interfering with closure. Check all the rubber seals around the tailgate that they are flat and not bunched up.
The following users liked this post:
RCA350 (03-06-23)
Old 05-13-17, 01:45 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Use the right spoke steering wheel buttons to turn off the rear power hatch-
menu/left arrow/vehicle settings/PBD/all off
You will now have to open the hatch by lifting while carrying a key. Monitor
the behavior of the phantom opening knowing the auto system is off.
By the way, PBD means Power Back Door and the whole procedure is
normally used to prevent valets from accessing the hatch area.
Old 05-14-17, 12:50 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

My wife has her keys in her purse. Occasionally the doors on the Venza lock or unlock or the hatch is activated. Then we have to move the keys inside the purse so that nothing is pressing on the buttons.
Old 05-14-17, 01:38 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pzenk
The rear door has opened several times. The last time in the garage while we were on vacation. It was open when we came back. Another time at a shopping center while my wife was on the passenger side and I was shopping.
This happened to me too. It is random. Do not know how to replicate. I guess it is a ECU random error type of issue.
Old 05-15-17, 04:00 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I got the Lexus Key Gloves . I guess they do a decent job for preventing mis-intended pushing of the FOB buttons since i rarely ever have the door lock/unlock or hatch opening while the keys are in my pocket. They're only $10 MSRP

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/accessories
Old 05-19-17, 09:29 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

This has not happened to me (2007 RX for 10 years, now a 2017 RX), but if it did, the door would hit the metal hardware on my garage door. As a precaution, I've ordered another "Door Edge Protector" from Amazon to place on the inner garage door. This protector works great as a door protector (on the garage walls). It sticks really well to almost any surface

Last edited by sderman; 05-19-17 at 09:31 AM. Reason: link to product on Amazon web site did not work
Old 03-01-23, 08:00 AM
ckeller52
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pzenk
Has anyone else heard of this problem?
I did yesterday.

I have a 2017 RX350 and a co-worker came in and asked if I was fired. I said no, why? She said it was because my rear door/hatch is open and she thought I was packing my stuff up to leave. LOL. WTF?!? So Yup, there it was wide open. I closed it and pulled the dashcam video to see if anything happened to make it open. I saw it open at 7:06 AM and then I went and closed it at 7:30 AM. I saw a car and a garbage truck drive by about 30 seconds before the door/hatch opened but nothing else on the video.

I had been digging around in my backpack around the time the hatch opened and there is a second set of keys in there so could I have pushed and held the button on the remote long enough to have the door/hatch open? Maybe, but I just don't know. What about the key I keep in my pocket? Sure, maybe but not to my knowledge. So could it have been my key fob? Yes, it could have been that. But I have a remote start and getting the fob signal to reach the car from inside my office requires me to stand in front of the window closest to my car and hit the lock button three times in a row. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. It defiantly doesn't work in my cubicle. So I took the spare key out of my bag and pulled out the battery. With the one in my coat pocket, I turn my fob off (Hold down the LOCK button while simultaneously pressing the UNLOCK button two times.) when I get inside the building now so like one day in a row.

I looked in the area when the lock on the door/hatch connects to the hook and that little flap door pushes out of the way to close. There was a loose screw down in there that I removed. I also noticed the cargo mat had slid about 1/2" over that plastic frame that surrounds the door/hatch so I pushed that back. Would either of these cause the issue? Who knows.

Other than that I have an MPC remote start kit from Amazon installed but that kit does NOT include wiring to open that hatch remotely only to lock/unlock doors and remote start the car. Also GPS tracking but that can't be it either.

I'd love to believe it was the fob being pressed unknowingly because I could control that but I don't know that for sure. With all the computers in the car, it would be nice to have a log someplace that lists what doors were opened by what device but that doesn't exist that I know of.

The one thing that is flaky is the sensor behind the Lexus logo to open the rear door/hatch. I always have trouble getting it to work. For a while last fall it was perfect. I'd hold my hand at a 45° angle close to but not touching it and it would open. Now, sometimes I can hear that faint beep that happens when it senses your hand but then, nothing. I can do it several times and the door won't open and I finally just press the button to get it to open. But how this would make the door/hatch just open by itself I have no Idea. It's going in got the 60k maintenance tomorrow so I'll ask Lexus to look at it. If I get a result I'll post it here.