RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Parchment leather ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 12:36 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

I had several LX units with parchment and never again. Blue from the jeans was enough, but overall it shows ever thing. Even the handle that you used to pull the drivers door closed was turning a greenish color. Lexus said that should not happen so the had their service people try to remove the green and it turned blue!
Old 09-16-17, 08:01 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I had several LX units with parchment and never again. Blue from the jeans was enough, but overall it shows ever thing. Even the handle that you used to pull the drivers door closed was turning a greenish color. Lexus said that should not happen so the had their service people try to remove the green and it turned blue!
There is NOTHING to prevent light colored leather from getting stained over time - end of story.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (09-17-17)
Old 09-16-17, 11:09 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
There is NOTHING to prevent light colored leather from getting stained over time - end of story.
We have had over 20 cars and driven over a million miles all with light color interiors and never once had a stain on the leather. Once every two months, I cleaned them for preventative sake not because they show dirt.

Last edited by Freds430; 09-17-17 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-16-17, 12:14 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I believe that the reality is that both dark colors and light colors have their advantages and disadvantages as far as maintenance is concerned.

The parchment is more readily subject to dye transfer and scuffs from shoes on lower parchment colored areas. A black interior is less subject to those issues, but it does show dust more readily.

For me, of the various interior colors I've had, medium to darker gray interiors have been some of my favorites. They have been a nice compromise with regard to not showing dust but, at the same time, not showing dye transfer or other smudges easily.

I've had several vehicles with parchment or similar light colored interiors. What I've found with those has been that, while I've really liked them initially, over time, I've tired of them. On the other hand, when I've had cars with black or medium to darker gray interiors, my inclination to like them has not diminished over the period of vehicle ownership.

The bottom line, though, is that both the parchment and darker interior colors have maintenance issues, even if they are not necessarily the same maintenance issues, which is why my advice would be to buy a vehicle with the interior color that has the greatest appeal to you.
The following users liked this post:
Oldfart (09-18-17)
Old 09-16-17, 01:06 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430
We have had over 20 cars and driven over a million miles all with light color interiors and never once had a stain on the leather. Once every two months, I cleaned them for preventative sake not because they show dirt. Would never consider a black interior for any discounted price.
that my friend is what makes the world go around😁
Old 09-18-17, 08:34 AM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have owned several Lexus with light coloured interiors - either light gray or parchment. Those colours are my preference as I dislike dark interiors. Unfortunately, I bought a 2017 RX with Exec package and had to get rid of it because the seats were horribly uncomfortable to me and bought a used 2015 RX with the Tech package (I always get the HUD and Mark Levinson sound), which has a black interior - seats are comfortable though. Prior to buying the 2017, I had a 2013 Starfire Pearl with parchment leather. I drove that RX almost 80,000 km and the day I traded it the seats were as clean as the day that I bought it. Granted I am a single, mature guy and rarely do I have passengers. I have 2 go to leather cleaners....the one that Lexus recommends (mixture of 5 parts water to 1 part of a cleaner made for wool (i.e Woolite) (at my suggestion a friend of mine uses that combo on his light grey seats on his Audi to remove jean transfer) the second cleaner is Griots garage Interior Cleaner (not the detailer) . One day I noticed that I had dried blood (insect bite) on the backrest of my parchment leather and just sprayed the Griots on a clean microfiber towel and it removed the blood on first pass - leaving behind my unstained parchment leather - just rinsed it with water and wiped it off. Light coloured interiors may take a bit of regular work but it is quite possible to keep them pristine. As a side note, another friend had spilled the chelated iron weed killer on the cargo mat of his Subaru and had tried everything to remove it with zero success. I brought over my Griots Interior Cleaner and a clean microfiber towel and it removed every bit of the stain. He now has that in his cleaning arsenal and it is not easy for us in Canada to obtain Griots as it is an American company....but their products are excellent....No, I do not work for them!! Hope this helps someone!

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL
Old 09-18-17, 08:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dentate
I have owned several Lexus with light coloured interiors - either light gray or parchment. Those colours are my preference as I dislike dark interiors. Unfortunately, I bought a 2017 RX with Exec package and had to get rid of it because the seats were horribly uncomfortable to me and bought a used 2015 RX with the Tech package (I always get the HUD and Mark Levinson sound), which has a black interior - seats are comfortable though. Prior to buying the 2017, I had a 2013 Starfire Pearl with parchment leather. I drove that RX almost 80,000 km and the day I traded it the seats were as clean as the day that I bought it. Granted I am a single, mature guy and rarely do I have passengers. I have 2 go to leather cleaners....the one that Lexus recommends (mixture of 5 parts water to 1 part of a cleaner made for wool (i.e Woolite) (at my suggestion a friend of mine uses that combo on his light grey seats on his Audi to remove jean transfer) the second cleaner is Griots garage Interior Cleaner (not the detailer) . One day I noticed that I had dried blood (insect bite) on the backrest of my parchment leather and just sprayed the Griots on a clean microfiber towel and it removed the blood on first pass - leaving behind my unstained parchment leather - just rinsed it with water and wiped it off. Light coloured interiors may take a bit of regular work but it is quite possible to keep them pristine. As a side note, another friend had spilled the chelated iron weed killer on the cargo mat of his Subaru and had tried everything to remove it with zero success. I brought over my Griots Interior Cleaner and a clean microfiber towel and it removed every bit of the stain. He now has that in his cleaning arsenal and it is not easy for us in Canada to obtain Griots as it is an American company....but their products are excellent....No, I do not work for them!! Hope this helps someone!

dentate
Oshawa, ON &
Port Charlotte, FL
Light coloured interiors may take a bit of regular work - the precise reason I ONLY OWN CARS with black interior. Once again all personal choice. On a side note, I find the stratus gray interior quite attractive but the parchment on the other hand has a cheap look to me.
Old 09-18-17, 06:09 PM
syntxerr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd highly recommend against the light colored leathers. I wear dark jeans a lot and both my Rioja Red interiors showed the dye transfer. I will say that the real leather in the RX is definitely more dye-resistant than the NuLuxe in my IS350 though. The blue dye usually comes off with a good rub, but the NuLuxe in the IS seemed to permanently darken slightly. If I can see it on the red, I know it would show up on the Parchment.

We had an RX350 at work with Parchment leather and after a year of lots of driving, it does not look very good.
Old 09-20-17, 04:57 AM
LCTMadison
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wear dark denim, you are going to get dye transfer on your seats. Not so much with just a regular "washed" denim, but the dark washes will transfer. Had it on my parchment leather Expedition seats, on my light grey BMW seats as well. It doesn't have as much to do with the leather as it does with the dye in the material of the pants you are wearing.

Like someone else said, the Lexol was great to remove it, but having the light colored leather will require some maintenance.
Old 10-02-21, 04:55 AM
Tab1313
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parchment/light interior question

I am planning to purchase an rx soon and need advice on interior colors. I love the look of the Parchment interior with bamboo but I'm very concerned about staining.
I take great care of the interior and condition it regularly but routinely sit in my seats with sweaty, post work out clothes. Even with a towel for protection I know there will be dark, wet clothing exposure
I love the noble brown color but not crazy about the caramel brown in recent models. I am avoiding black because I want something different.
how has the Parchment nulux held up over time with stains?
Old 10-02-21, 06:48 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the Parchment and it is cooler in he summer than dark colors. I just went out and looked at the seats and they look great and have no change in color. to make sure, I cleaned the drivers seat and had no color transfer to the cleaning rag. The drivers seat looks like the passenger seat. I wear Leviis most all the time and they are not necessarily clean. I have a 2018 RX with 45000 miles.
Old 10-02-21, 07:22 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Tab1313
I am planning to purchase an rx soon and need advice on interior colors. I love the look of the Parchment interior with bamboo but I'm very concerned about staining.
I take great care of the interior and condition it regularly but routinely sit in my seats with sweaty, post work out clothes. Even with a towel for protection I know there will be dark, wet clothing exposure
I love the noble brown color but not crazy about the caramel brown in recent models. I am avoiding black because I want something different.
Hearing that you take good care of your car, then all you have to do is use Woolite and water mixture and your seats will look new for many years. I've been doing this for years with my light colored seats.
Old 10-02-21, 07:43 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 400 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Tab1313
You might try a car towel from Orange Mud. They slip over the headrest and completely cover the headrest, seatback and seat. I use one when driving after a workout and my light gray Nuluxe seats look brand new after 19K miles. I have the standard Orange Mud towel and find it sufficient, but they make fully waterproof one if you want even more moisture protection.