RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Swapping standard LEDs to the Triple LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 07:45 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Look up this in the forum:

Swapping standard LEDs to the Triple LEDs

There's some good information.
Old 12-26-18, 08:05 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Swapping Standard LEDs to the Triple LEDs
Old 12-26-18, 08:42 AM
pawel129
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that topic but there is no info about how and who can do that.
Old 12-26-18, 07:39 PM
lji
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MConte05
First post here, but I'll introduce myself. I am an optical design engineer for Diode Dynamics, and spend most of my time designing LED projector systems. Looking into an RX350 for my wife, and decided I should do some emperical testing to see if the Triple Beam stuff was worth the option. I had the dealer I'm working with grab a standard RX and one with the Triple Beam. Brought my lux-meter that I use at work to measure the light output at the same location and a few test points on a darkened wall about 50' away to see if there was a noticeable improvement or not over the standard RX headlights.

The standard ones are some of the best on the market. Kioto Bi-LED units that I consider the gold standard right now for OEMs. I've reverse engineered the exact same projector for future products, and evaluated a bunch of others. So I was curious to see how much better the premium is. So when you measure light output, the quick and dirty way is to get the lux reading, basically the light intensity per a unit of area. I measured the standard RX and got the following:

Hotspot (brightest area at the center of the beam) = 350 lux
40* off angle, aka your width = 20 lux (very impressive)
20* off angle, aka picking up objects on the side of the road = 50 lux

Then went and got the car with the triple beam headlights. Results were surprising:

Hotspot = 230 lux
40* off angle = 12 lux (most of it ambient lighting)
20* off angle = 25 lux

So all in all, the standard Bi-LED units are actually fantastic, and the only reason to upgrade to the triple beam is for the styling choice. You'll actually lose output and overall beam width compared to the standard.

Hope this is useful info for anyone in the future!
I think what you found is confirmed by the IIHS headlight ratings. The BiLEDs score an acceptable rating while the Triple Beam LEDs score only marginal in their lighting rating
Old 12-27-18, 07:57 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Regardless of what empirical testing does I find my 3lites to be very good. I don't know about the bi-lites but Toyo/Lexus has the tools to measure output and I'd wonder why they'd use something inferior in a more expensive model, it's possible, but IMO unlikely
Old 12-27-18, 09:12 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pawel129
I saw that topic but there is no info about how and who can do that.

I saw that it would it cost around $5,000 so that's all I needed to know LOL. I wouldn't be surprised to see plug in play in the future though.
Old 12-27-18, 08:20 PM
MeenGrn02
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Regardless of what empirical testing does I find my 3lites to be very good. I don't know about the bi-lites but Toyo/Lexus has the tools to measure output and I'd wonder why they'd use something inferior in a more expensive model, it's possible, but IMO unlikely
The Bi-Led projector that comes in the 4RX is made by Koito, it is pretty much the LED version of the Koito 3RX Bi-Xenon which is near the top of the totem pole regarding OEM projectors (LS460 Bi-Xenon is the only one better). The 3" Bi-LED found the 4RX is a phenomenal unit, and performs quite nicely with a clear lens upgrade. IIHS can be a bit ridiculous at times, but they are finally testing headlights, and their data is all relative. With tonights driving behind a 4RX in the left lane (3" Bi-LED) and a 4RX in the right lane (Triple LED), the Triple LED had more foreground lighting whilst the Bi-LED had more distance, not to mention overall width. The Triple LED provides more light in specific lighting zones close to the front of the vehicle whilst the Bi-LED has better width and distance. THEN there's me in my 3RX with the factory Bi-Xenon found in 2010-12 RX350. When paired as such with a clear lens retrofit and Osram D4S NBL, I out distance and out width both the 4RX's with ease. The Bi-LED is the much more safer and useful light source as far as both units are concerned. However, there is a chance that the Rest Of World Triple LED's are different than the ones we get in North America, overseas they could be the better light source.

For all Bi-LED 4RX owner's, if you want an upgrade to your lighting contact Lightwerkz Global and see if you can get them to begin testing an upgraded lens solution for you guys. With enough interest they may see an opportunity in the market, and you guys could start getting close to HID levels of output.
Old 12-27-18, 08:26 PM
MeenGrn02
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pawel129
Hello,
Is it possible to change single bi-led front headlights to tripple led version in 2017 rx 450h?
You will be wasting your time and money, the factory 3" Koito Bi-LED projector is a fantastic unit, it just needs a helping hand. Contact Lightwerkz Global to see if they can get a clear lens upgrade solution for you, with enough interest they will make it an inventoried item.
Old 12-28-18, 07:40 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had my '18 RX for 7 months and drove a rural road at night for the first time this week. First time I've used the high beams and the auto-high beams.
On the other hand, I drive in the city after dark multiple times per week and really appreciate the cornering lights that come with the triple beams.
Old 11-28-19, 09:16 AM
BELLEXUS
Driver School Candidate

i have 2015 lexus rc350 f sport whith regular LED and i swap on triple LED and work nice.
Old 11-30-19, 07:52 AM
lexusss10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are the least bit handy, there are a select few high quality, aftermarket HID solutions. Don't get hung up on the lens shape "triple beam." A single, HID can outshine in some cases- it's all about lumens. Think about one bright spotlight vs. 3 small lights. Avoid cheap aftermarket. Talk to a high end custom shop and enthusiast who customize their vehicles. Fro under $200.00 you should be able to buy an easy to install kit that comes with ballasts, HID's, harnesses, etc. It should be mostly plug and play except to connect the relay to the positive and negative on the battery- very easy and works quite well.
The following users liked this post:
Endopax (12-02-19)
Old 12-01-19, 05:14 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusss10
If you are the least bit handy, there are a select few high quality, aftermarket HID solutions. Don't get hung up on the lens shape "triple beam." A single, HID can outshine in some cases- it's all about lumens. Think about one bright spotlight vs. 3 small lights. Avoid cheap aftermarket. Talk to a high end custom shop and enthusiast who customize their vehicles. Fro under $200.00 you should be able to buy an easy to install kit that comes with ballasts, HID's, harnesses, etc. It should be mostly plug and play except to connect the relay to the positive and negative on the battery- very easy and works quite well.
you realize all headlight options, the standard, adaptive, and tripple are all led right ??
Old 12-01-19, 06:31 AM
lexusss10
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had not given much thought to what is currently in the vehicle- you may have gotten me there. I thought however that the point of upgrading was to get a brighter, safer headlight- that is the "lens" that I see through. Regardless of the type of OEM bulb/ballast currently in the vehicle, the lumens is the bottom line and what matters to most. The HID kit(s) I referenced will achieve a very bright LED light, regardless of bulb type currently in the vehicle- make a night and day difference and can be installed in minutes without any special skills or many tools. The IIHS rated the lights in the 2020 RX from A (Acceptable) to P (Poor)- no GOOD option. I was simply letting the OP know that a better option exists. If the OP wants to go through the hassle and expense of changing the lights for cosmetic reasons (like the looks of the look of the triple beam), then have at it. Those things don't matter at all to me. I'm concerned with seeing at night for safety- but to each their own I suppose.
The following users liked this post:
Endopax (12-02-19)
Old 12-21-19, 10:44 PM
Hung3979
Driver School Candidate

Default Trimple beam head light.

Ive bought a Lexus rx350 2016 3 months ago, but it doesn't have a trimple beam head light. I asked Lexus dealer for the package trimple beam head light installation but they said they can't install with a used car. Do you guys know where can I buy it and where they accept for installation? Thank you.
Old 12-22-19, 07:39 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...iple-leds.html

Quick Reply: Swapping standard LEDs to the Triple LEDs