RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Swapping standard LEDs to the Triple LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 04:26 PM
Bravo1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Swapping standard LEDs to the Triple LEDs

I did not know this was an option when I purchased my 2017 RX350. I like the look and asked the dealer if it was possible to swap out after I had already purchased our RX. First I was told yes then I was told no it would void the warranty. I called Lexus and was told that it may void the warranty since the car was not built at the factory with the triple leds on the vehicle. This feels like poor reasoning since I often see many vehicles with non factory items like rims and tires added by the dealer.

Any info or insight anyone has on this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Popular Reply

12-15-16, 02:46 PM
MConte05
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts

First post here, but I'll introduce myself. I am an optical design engineer for Diode Dynamics, and spend most of my time designing LED projector systems. Looking into an RX350 for my wife, and decided I should do some emperical testing to see if the Triple Beam stuff was worth the option. I had the dealer I'm working with grab a standard RX and one with the Triple Beam. Brought my lux-meter that I use at work to measure the light output at the same location and a few test points on a darkened wall about 50' away to see if there was a noticeable improvement or not over the standard RX headlights.

The standard ones are some of the best on the market. Kioto Bi-LED units that I consider the gold standard right now for OEMs. I've reverse engineered the exact same projector for future products, and evaluated a bunch of others. So I was curious to see how much better the premium is. So when you measure light output, the quick and dirty way is to get the lux reading, basically the light intensity per a unit of area. I measured the standard RX and got the following:

Hotspot (brightest area at the center of the beam) = 350 lux
40* off angle, aka your width = 20 lux (very impressive)
20* off angle, aka picking up objects on the side of the road = 50 lux

Then went and got the car with the triple beam headlights. Results were surprising:

Hotspot = 230 lux
40* off angle = 12 lux (most of it ambient lighting)
20* off angle = 25 lux

So all in all, the standard Bi-LED units are actually fantastic, and the only reason to upgrade to the triple beam is for the styling choice. You'll actually lose output and overall beam width compared to the standard.

Hope this is useful info for anyone in the future!
Old 12-12-16, 06:52 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry to hear! Should have done your research!

I know many people wanting to do what you want to do but have yet to see it done. You may have to wait a while till they start selling them or ask nigel-jdm. He is a user that is on the F Sport grille topic. He may have the headlights and all you need to do is get them installed.
Old 12-13-16, 12:20 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you and made an impulse buy on mine (it was either this 4RX or an Audi Q7). I'm working with a mechanic (his father is a Lexus Master Mechanic at the Lexus dealership in town) to see if it is possible. (I will not cut any wires to avoid voiding the warranty.) It looks like it is not a plug and play without the correct wiring harness and connectors (vehicle wiring harness alone is $3-4K). I'm taking my time on this project, but to be honest it does not look promising and it may be put on the back burner (due to the different variants and vehicle options that come with the triple LED package i.e. auto high-beam button, cornering lights, and LED tail lights) though I have seen a picture of an RX200t overseas with triple LED without the cornering lights. I need to get the part number of the correct wiring harness (I will need the help of handy members on the CL forums, any one handy here would like to volunteer in this project as well?). A56kuser (Ken) has already started helping me as a parts comparison since he's running the triple LED's on his white 4RX, but we're in need of the electrical wiring diagram.

There was an NX200t owner on here who attempted to upgrade his NX to the triple LED as well and he spent $4-5 grand (lots of time and money without success) where the dealership installed the headlights but could not get rid of the headlight warning icon (he restored it back to the original headlight), so it is possible for the dealership to install it for you as long as their Lexus Master Mechanics agree to it as they will know what is best for our vehicles. Your other best alternative choice is to trade-up to a 4RX that has the triple LED's. I'll definitely get the triple LED's when the third-row RX arrives.

Old 12-13-16, 02:14 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

If you're willing to spend almost $5K to swap the headlights, then you're better off trading in your new car for one with the triple beams.

Swapping the headlights wouldn't void your entire warranty, but it will cause problems with electrical issues. If your install/swap of the headlights cause an electrical problem, then it wouldn't be covered under warranty.
The following 4 users liked this post by dchar:
Darith (10-10-20), gadgetman1 (01-01-19), ggebhardt (12-14-16), tomtom74 (12-15-16)
Old 12-15-16, 02:46 PM
MConte05
Driver School Candidate

Received 22 Likes on 3 Posts

First post here, but I'll introduce myself. I am an optical design engineer for Diode Dynamics, and spend most of my time designing LED projector systems. Looking into an RX350 for my wife, and decided I should do some emperical testing to see if the Triple Beam stuff was worth the option. I had the dealer I'm working with grab a standard RX and one with the Triple Beam. Brought my lux-meter that I use at work to measure the light output at the same location and a few test points on a darkened wall about 50' away to see if there was a noticeable improvement or not over the standard RX headlights.

The standard ones are some of the best on the market. Kioto Bi-LED units that I consider the gold standard right now for OEMs. I've reverse engineered the exact same projector for future products, and evaluated a bunch of others. So I was curious to see how much better the premium is. So when you measure light output, the quick and dirty way is to get the lux reading, basically the light intensity per a unit of area. I measured the standard RX and got the following:

Hotspot (brightest area at the center of the beam) = 350 lux
40* off angle, aka your width = 20 lux (very impressive)
20* off angle, aka picking up objects on the side of the road = 50 lux

Then went and got the car with the triple beam headlights. Results were surprising:

Hotspot = 230 lux
40* off angle = 12 lux (most of it ambient lighting)
20* off angle = 25 lux

So all in all, the standard Bi-LED units are actually fantastic, and the only reason to upgrade to the triple beam is for the styling choice. You'll actually lose output and overall beam width compared to the standard.

Hope this is useful info for anyone in the future!
The following 17 users liked this post by MConte05:
Bravo1010 (12-17-16), CharmCtyIS (12-26-18), ChicagoRJ (02-27-22), computerwi (12-17-16), daiquangq (02-07-22), Endopax (12-02-19), gadgetman1 (12-16-16), imperio (12-02-19), jaylmw08 (04-01-20), kdstew3 (02-07-22), Khaki (12-18-16), lji (12-26-18), makaRX350 (06-29-18), PaulYu (06-11-21), ROSCOGX470 (06-07-22), SFFD785 (10-11-20), signdetres (12-27-18) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-15-16, 04:50 PM
Bravo1010
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The triple leds do look sporty. But your info does help make me feel better. Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bravo1010:
Endopax (12-02-19), jaylmw08 (04-01-20)
Old 12-15-16, 05:05 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

I'd keep the bi-led's. Had I known prob wouldn't have gone the triple's. They look so sexy but I'd rather have a brigher light output.
The following users liked this post:
Endopax (12-02-19)
Old 12-16-16, 10:56 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
I'd keep the bi-led's. Had I known prob wouldn't have gone the triple's. They look so sexy but I'd rather have a brigher light output.
I find them sufficiently bright. The difference is imperceptible compared to the 2017 RX350 I have been driving.

The noticeable difference for me is the sporty looks, cornering lamps, the consistent LEDs on the front, and the LEDs on the back. Don't forget these are also part of the triple-LED package.
The following 2 users liked this post by ericsan13:
computerwi (12-17-16), jaylmw08 (04-01-20)
Old 12-16-16, 12:53 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts

What do YOU feel about the lights? Do they shine far enough for your needs?

As far s I am concern the triple LEDs are awesome. I drive a lot on pitch black rural roads and they are great, for me....
The following users liked this post:
jaylmw08 (04-01-20)
Old 12-16-16, 06:51 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

The Bi-LED headlights got an "Acceptable" rating from the IIHS but the triple beams got only a "marginal" rating: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...017?print-view

Last edited by Kansas; 12-16-16 at 06:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kansas:
Endopax (12-02-19), jaylmw08 (04-01-20)
Old 12-17-16, 04:21 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
What do YOU feel about the lights? Do they shine far enough for your needs?

As far s I am concern the triple LEDs are awesome. I drive a lot on pitch black rural roads and they are great, for me....
I actually thought they went a little short on pitch black drives. I feel like it's extremely bright up close to a certain distance, but then doesn't go out far enough. Perhaps angling it higher would help.. Regardless, I still really love my headlights and also, the auto high beam helps so much.
Old 12-17-16, 08:45 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

I actually thought they went a little short on pitch black drives. I feel like it's extremely bright up close to a certain distance, but then doesn't go out far enough. Perhaps angling it higher would help.. Regardless, I still really love my headlights and also, the auto high beam helps so much.
I feel like Lexus tends to aim the headlights a little low from the factory. I tend to raise them a bit; did it again after a couple weeks with my new GS. Haven't had anyone flash their lights at me yet, so they must not be offending anyone.

Interesting thing though, I've experienced quite a few times when people flashed their lights at me when I drove my father's RX with the standard LED headlights. I would flash back at them and they would stop
Old 12-17-16, 10:31 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Also, at least with the 2016 MY, you couldn't get the Triple LED if you wanted the cold package on a RX350, but you could get both if you got a RX450h. So I got a 450h.
Old 12-27-16, 07:35 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

What I don't get is that in other markets even the base model gets triple beam headlights, that's virtually a non-existent combination here in the states...
Old 12-25-18, 10:26 PM
pawel129
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights swap

Hello,
Is it possible to change single bi-led front headlights to tripple led version in 2017 rx 450h?

Quick Reply: Swapping standard LEDs to the Triple LEDs