RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 06:27 PM
kevinmlexu
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Windshield replacement

had a rock hit my windshield passenger side while driving today. Know that the entire windshield will need replacing. Anyone been through this before? Never had a windshield get cracked. My insurance company uses satellite auto glass as their provider, but I can also use the shop of my choice. Would a Lexus Repair shop provide this service? Not sure if I trust a 3rd party place to to replace a windshield with all the electronics that go into the windshield.

Any info or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-16, 12:16 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Lexus will replace windshield, but they don't go by insurance company's price so it's going to be out of your pocket. What you can do is to pick the glass repair shop that are willing work with your insurance company, and tell them to use OEM windshield. I think it's different law from state to state, but most state will/have to use OEM parts for insurance repair, if vehicle is 3 years or newer.
The following users liked this post:
daddiojigg (09-08-24)
Old 11-20-16, 09:28 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I had one replaced by an auto glass company. I had to pay 300 extra for a Lexus windshield. Insurance covered the rest. I would not be surprised if Lexus out-sources it. The work was outstanding, neat and clean. They let me hang out, watch and show me what they were doing and why. They told me that on a new vehicle they highly recommend only replacing with a factory windshield. Great service. Never had a problem with electronics, leaking, or noise. Look for the Lexus stamp on the windshield.
Old 11-20-16, 11:39 AM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What auto glass company did you use?
Old 11-20-16, 12:05 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Dealership glass is the best, but it is 3x as expensive as the OEM glass that most installers carry. Note that OEM is not the same as the glass that you get from Lexus or is installed at the factory. They are different.

I believe that when you order the windshield from a Lexus dealership, it should have the Lexus logo etched on the glass. By contrast, OEM will show the name of the glass manufacturer. Going with OEM glass isn't terrible. I would be more concerned that the installers exercise care during the installation process. You don't want them to scratch the frame or dashboard. Also, they need to seal it carefully. A poorly installed windshield can let wind noise and water in.
jollick (09-06-24)
Old 11-21-16, 12:45 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had it replaced by local glass shop contracted my insurance compay using OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) from Lexus. No extra charge, and it has "LEXUS" name on the glass. Mine was shipped from Lexus factory to local Lexus dealer, and picked up by installer.If it doesn't say "LEXUS" on glass then OEM Grade (made by company that are making replacement part)
Old 11-21-16, 07:36 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by s2000zr
What auto glass company did you use?

I used Speedy auto glass. They were just up the road from my house and extremely knowledgeable. They could tell I was worried about the repair and that's why they invited me to watch and ask questions. The two techs had many years of experience.

I would be discussing the repair with any speciality shop before I turned my vehicle over to them. Get a feel for the place first.
Old 11-21-16, 10:49 AM
mx5mike
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Chances are the local glass companies won't have a replacement for the 16 RX yet and will use OEM glass. that was the case on our older 14 ford escape we had. it had auto wipers and several other windshield mounted stuff and Safelight had to use FORD OEM glass. Insurance paid 100% of the bill.
Old 11-21-16, 12:45 PM
FastFord
Racer

Good point, there probably only is OEM glass available at this tiime.
Old 06-05-17, 07:50 PM
slowmo1817
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

Unfortunately, my windshield was cracked recently and must be replaced. It started from a small crack and before I could get it repaired - it spread to the point that it can't be repaired, and must be replaced.

I got quotes from Safelite and Gerber Collision & Glass (Both are chains near me with several stores in the vicinity) and from a local shop. Was going to pay out of pocket to avoid Insurance claim (Approx $500). My dilemma is that the Independent local shop is saying that I MUST get OEM glass, which costs $1495. I google searched and read a few old thread here where people were saying you should only use Lexus glass (the thread were referencing different vehicles than the RX).

I am buying the vehicle, so I want to make sure I make the best choice - is there a difference in the quality?
Old 06-06-17, 05:30 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by slowmo1817
Unfortunately, my windshield was cracked recently and must be replaced. It started from a small crack and before I could get it repaired - it spread to the point that it can't be repaired, and must be replaced.

I got quotes from Safelite and Gerber Collision & Glass (Both are chains near me with several stores in the vicinity) and from a local shop. Was going to pay out of pocket to avoid Insurance claim (Approx $500). My dilemma is that the Independent local shop is saying that I MUST get OEM glass, which costs $1495. I google searched and read a few old thread here where people were saying you should only use Lexus glass (the thread were referencing different vehicles than the RX).

I am buying the vehicle, so I want to make sure I make the best choice - is there a difference in the quality?
I don't know how your insurance company works windshield replacement but getting that work done is not a bad mark on your driving record. Your rates should not change as the incident is not your fault. Like most people you just pay the deductible, $ 0-500. I think this part of your insurance is comprehensive insurance and is classified as an event other than a collision.

Your best choice is to demand a factory Lexus windshield. Glass repair places can get this OEM glass but they don't like to work with it as they don't have the same ability to return it if there is something wrong with it. My friend at Speedy told me they can get glass as good as OEM but it does not have the same insulating (noise/wind/etc) qualities as the original. I told him then it's not the same. He meant that the glass would not have any warping, distortion and all special features would work properly. Rain sensors, cameras, radar, heads up, all guaranteed.

I ended up getting the OEM glass instead and the installation was excellent. I had to argue with my insurance for a bit for them to cover the entire cost of the OEM glass. They told me that my coverage only included a replacement windshield as near as possible to OEM. They did pay for the OEM but said it was because the car was less than two years old.
raylor4 (12-22-20)
Old 06-06-17, 08:58 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Seen too many horror stories of people getting non-OEM windshields (leaks, wind noise, etc). Just not worth the headache.
Old 06-22-17, 05:06 AM
hoplim
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anything special for replacing windshield?

Got hit by a stone on my 2-month new RX450h

Just file the claim to insurance for replacing windshield, and was asked for three questions:
1) Have head-up display? (yes)
2) Have camera-based lane deviation reminder? (have LDA, so I guess yes)
3) Have heated wiper de-icer
Should I say NO to the third question? I don't see any heating element embedded in windshield (unlike my Subaru).

Is there anything special that I need to pay attention for replacing windshield? The dealer doesn't do it but recommend me to a local glass workshop.

Thx!
Old 06-22-17, 08:36 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

I would go to the people that Lexus recommends and make sure they use factory glass. Check to make sure the glass is aligned correctly with the surrounding metal.

After a day or so I would flood the exterior of the windshield with a hose to check for leaks.

If no leaks you should be good.

My insurance covered every penny when I had a rock hit the LX windshield. There was never any hesitation.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 06-22-17 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-22-17, 10:28 AM
FastFord
Racer

2 months old...no question...Factory. Your insurance should cover the entire expense. That might amount to an extra $300. I had the same issue and raised a bit of a stink and they covered it. Less any deductible...

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement