RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Heat under pano roof

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 09:51 AM
joe311
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heat under pano roof

Has anyone notice on a hot sunny day, the shading underneath the pano roof gets really hot. I'm wondering if tinting it would reduce the heat coming into the cabin. The heat is not unbearable but i'm also wondering if tinting it would leave less light going into the cabin when the sunshade is retracted. I don't like the glare in my eyes from the sun but do like the openness it gives.
Old 09-21-16, 10:20 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

A lot of people here have tinted their pano roofs. If you want a light colored tint, 3M Crystalline tint is the way to go. I think the darkest Crystalline available is only 40%.
Old 09-22-16, 03:20 PM
CUandy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tinted my pano roof to 5%. Looks great and I just leave it open all the time now. Very little heat gets in even on sunny days. Would 100% recommend tinting it.
Old 09-26-16, 09:40 AM
joe311
Rookie

Originally Posted by CUandy
I tinted my pano roof to 5%. Looks great and I just leave it open all the time now. Very little heat gets in even on sunny days. Would 100% recommend tinting it.
Do you happen to have any pictures? I'm interested in tinting them but I'm just afraid it will make it too dark. Thanks.
Old 09-26-16, 11:49 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It was too much light and heat before and make it almost unbearable on a hot sunny day. So, I tinted the entire car with ceramic 35% tint including the pano roof... Made a huge difference.
Old 09-26-16, 07:18 PM
BPRescue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was my concern as I had a Grand Cherokee with a similar setup in the thin fabric cover for the panoramic roof. In AZ, it was so bad during the day, that there was a very real thermal layer where the head would never be comfortable enough to slow the fan. I'm probably not explaining it well, but in all the vehicles I have owned, after the internal environment stabilizes, you can typically lower the fan to a snails pace as to keep comfortable. Climate control works perfectly in these cars, however it would not in the jeep and this was just an odd, and frustrating situation. The sensors are not in the upper area of the vehicle, so while it was comfortable in the other areas, the fan would slow and I would have to increase it manually or turn the temp way down, ultimately never truly being comfortable. The Lexus material seems a hint thicker, but you still don't have the insulation even of a standard moon roof. It was enough for me to avoid the pano roof for my purchase. I can imagine if you life in CA, CO, or other states you won't have the intensity here. Tinting is an interesting option, though again in extreme AZ, I could not take the chance. Not that I am comparing a Jeep to a Lexus; there is no comparison, but the technology has spooked me.

Anyway, probably not helpful here, but I would like to hear from someone in similar situations rather than states/areas where it is of minimal consequence. In that regard, I don't see the severity as much as here, so tinting may in fact be viable.
Old 09-27-16, 03:35 PM
joe311
Rookie

The heat coming down is not bad at all where you would notice it without paying attention to it. I nick pick everything and notice even the smallest of details so any average person wouldn't even notice. It is however radiating ever so slightly a small amount of heat but with the ac running, you wouldn't even notice it. I was just wondering if tinting it would make it non existent at all. But i'm assuming it would make a big difference.
Old 09-27-16, 03:54 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

You can always ask a tint guy for a scrap piece of tint so you can experiment. Just put on the scrap piece while your car is under the sun. Then, just wave your hand below the tinted areas and non tinted areas.
Old 09-28-16, 01:43 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by joe311
Do you happen to have any pictures? I'm interested in tinting them but I'm just afraid it will make it too dark. Thanks.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9471178

I went with 5%. Even though I am in Washington, I think it is just about right. Haven't gone through winter yet though.
Old 10-10-16, 01:12 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with Suntek Infinity 20. It seems to be just about the right tint. It is a all metal tint which is great on the roof.
Old 10-12-16, 10:10 AM
joe311
Rookie

After doing a lot of research about tints, i came across crystalline and photosync. these are the 2 most efficient tints as to heat rejection. unfortunately summer heat and the blazing sun is almost gone so there is no way i will see the difference of the the tint of untinted roofs until next year. I will be installing the photosync in the following weeks since supposedly it is the best heat rejection where not sacrificing light coming in. it almost looks clear, keyword almost. They do carry darker shades but i will like some light coming in.
Old 10-17-16, 07:09 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in Houston and just had 40% Crystalline put on my pano roof. Not only does it cut down on the amount of light coming thru, it also blocks a good deal of the heat transfer. We drive to downtown from the west burbs every Sunday morning for church and the wife typically would ask me to shut the roof shade due to brightness. After I had the roof glass tinted she didn't notice the shade was even open...so there's my stamp of approval.
Old 10-29-16, 04:44 PM
joe311
Rookie

Just got my pano roof with photosync 55% and it definitely made a difference. I leave my screen open all the time now and i don't even squint anymore. And the heat is not even noticeable anymore.I didn't want to go too dark since i do want some light through. What's the point of having the pano roof if your gonna black it out. might as well close it. =P. I also did my windshield and front windows but to 75%. It doesn't reflect as much heat as the pano roof since i still feel some heat on my arms and dash but it is crystal clear.