RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Want Luxury Package but prefer leather-wrapped steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 08:40 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Want Luxury Package but prefer leather-wrapped steering wheel

I want to order a 450h with Luxury Package, but don't like how my hands feel on the included wooden steering wheel. They uncomfortably straddle the wooden and leather section, which is too small to fit all my fingers (Wouldn't be a problem if the leather portion was just a bit bigger). I'd like to find a way to have an all leather grip, and have explored these options:
1. Do a special order and have Lexus substitute a heated leather steering wheel at the factory, as can be done when ordering a non-Luxury trim -- Found that Lexus will inexplicably NOT do a factory steering wheel substitution to a Luxury Package vehicle. I've repeatedly tried to push them on this, along with my dealer's help, and Lexus will not budge.
2. Have the dealer substitute a leather-wrapped steering wheel -- Found that Lexus will permit this, but that the dealer must then assume liability for the included air bag, which no dealers that I've talked to want to do.
3. Instead or replacing the wooden wheel, have a car customizer add leather to another inch or two on each side of the steering wheel so that my hands will rest on an all leather surface -- Found that shops in our area will not do this because they would need to remove the steering wheel to do it properly with the right equipment and don't want to risk problems with the airbag.
4. Get a non-Luxury Package 450h without a wooden steering wheel and individually add the options that my wife and I want -- Found that we can't get the real leather and seat extender (two of our requirements) without the Luxury Package.
I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Old 08-17-16, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Unfortunately...those are your options...

I would get the luxury package and live with the wooden wheel a while and see if you can get used to it.
Old 08-17-16, 09:55 PM
Philthy84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you consider trying an all leather steering wheel cover, for the luxury package steering wheel?
Old 08-17-16, 10:11 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

I did also consider steering wheel covers briefly, but it seemed that they would cheapen the looks of the car. Is there a leather steering wheel cover that is worthy of installing in a Lexus RX?
Old 08-17-16, 10:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Not in my opinion...
Old 08-18-16, 05:23 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not happy with the wood/leather steering wheel. I regret it every day. Wood might as well be plastic - no difference in look or feel. Next vehicle will have 100% leather wrapped steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (08-12-20)
Old 08-18-16, 05:45 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I am also not a fan of wood/leather wheels.. I had them in previous vehicles and much prefer a nice all leather wheel.. However, if my wife's next Lexus is a GX I may have to get used to to the wood again...
Old 08-18-16, 08:07 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IrishJoe
I did also consider steering wheel covers briefly, but it seemed that they would cheapen the looks of the car. Is there a leather steering wheel cover that is worthy of installing in a Lexus RX?
I installed one of the best leather wheel covers out there-a "Wheelskins" cover in my Tacoma. In my opinion, even that one would not be good enough for our Lexus. To me it's gotta be original equipment with this fine machine. I can appreciate your feelings on the wood wheel but Lexus did such a beautiful job on them and I personally think that wood/leather wheel is one of the biggest highlights of the interior.
Old 08-18-16, 09:21 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Howabout ordering the F-Sport? You can get all the options on the F-Sport plus No wooden steering wheel.
Old 08-18-16, 11:46 AM
Philthy84
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Howabout ordering the F-Sport? You can get all the options on the F-Sport plus No wooden steering wheel.
I thought the same thing but no thigh extension for the F-sport which seems to be one of their requirements.
Old 08-18-16, 10:17 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone heard of any Lexus dealer replacing the wooden steering wheel with a leather-wrapped wheel for a customer?
Old 08-19-16, 02:53 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There was someone in the 3RX forum who wanted to change to an all leather steering wheel. The sun was blinding her when it hit the wood part. She managed to find a used one but it was beat up. I think she returned it. Don't know what happened after that. All of my RXs have had the leather steering wheel, no wood.

Some dealers have people who do customization for them. They might have ideas outside of replacement, like wrapping the leather part to make it fit better in your hand. It's worth a try. Good luck.
Old 08-19-16, 04:35 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you tried the highest volume Lexus Dealer on Earth since 1992!?!? Try out the guys at JM Lexus in Margate, Florida. Several members can vouch for them (I can't since I am from Ohio). Anyway, they have a group called JM Custom Creations: http://www.jmcustomcreations.com/about-jmcc.html

In an article from Automotive News (http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...stom-creations), it says, and I quote, "The custom shop works with leather suppliers to do custom seat designs. Cars get TVs and electronic games, oversized audio systems and speakers, special trunk lighting and new color schemes. JM Lexus stands behind the warranty on all changed features, including the electronics."

If you want to spend the money and travel to Florida (or work out a way to have the car shipped to you), I strongly believe this is your best shot.

P.S. When I was originally interested in buying an NX, I wanted to swap the standard grille with the F-SPORT grille. I contacted the dealership, but they did not know much about customization. I think you may want to contact the JMCC guys directly. Good Luck!!!
Old 08-19-16, 04:50 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I hate the wood/leather wheels. They look a bit garish IMO, but that wood just does not have the same feel/grip as an all leather wheel.

Frankly I'm surprised your dealership hasn't turned this into a $1000 profit. Assuming the air bag module is the same for wood and non wood wheels, they charge you $500 for swapping out that wood wheel with an RX that has the full leather wheel. Then they charge the person with the "upgraded" wood wheel on the base RX an extra $500 as a "dealer accessory". Really this is a very simple problem that your dealer should have no problem solving. Their grease monkey in the garage that has done recalled airbags should be able to swap out a wheel in virtually no time, thus not adding a ton of labor cost to the dealer.