RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lexus RX350 2016 in Caviar or Eminent White Pearl?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 11:22 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by TiberiusL
Sorry, did you say you wash it by hand three times a week? What will happen if I put it through an automatic wash?
The automatic wash will for sure scratch the car/put swirls all over.
Old 08-12-16, 04:08 AM
TexLexRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would only do the auto washes at LEXUS. Most carwashes won't pay for damage or broken trIm.
Old 08-13-16, 02:05 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, did you say you wash it by hand three times a week? What will happen if I put it through an automatic wash?
Automatic car washes are horrible for any paint job, but dark colors (especially black) is going to show the swirl marks from auto washes much worse than lighter colors. It's a pain, but the only way to keep a black/dark car looking good is to hand wash using the 2 bucket wash system.
Old 08-13-16, 07:18 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had 2 black rxs..... I buy based on how good a particular model looks based on color. IMO the 04 and 13 fsport looked great in black. But I bought three 16 fsport in white cuz the color accents with the black really made the grill pop. Yes black requires work but at the end of the day get the color you think looks best and then you'll be quite happy keeping clean
Old 08-15-16, 05:47 PM
TiberiusL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly just actually preferred having a black car stand out in the midst of snow - not quite sure how to upkeep it in the winter time with all that salt and grime out there however! I did some research and there was a mention of any chips being harder to fix from a paint job perspective on a white car so ultimately that was what swayed me as our highways and roads aren't exactly all that great in the winter in Canada with rocks and pebbles! If anyone has opinions/insight into how to upkeep the Caviar colour over time that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-15-16, 07:35 PM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I honestly just actually preferred having a black car stand out in the midst of snow - not quite sure how to upkeep it in the winter time with all that salt and grime out there however! I did some research and there was a mention of any chips being harder to fix from a paint job perspective on a white car so ultimately that was what swayed me as our highways and roads aren't exactly all that great in the winter in Canada with rocks and pebbles! If anyone has opinions/insight into how to upkeep the Caviar colour over time that would be greatly appreciated!
Check out this forum thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing.html
If you are worried about rock chips, I strongly recommend paint protection film, especially over the front of the car.

Then there is wax/coatings. Get the car covered in some sort of synthetic polymer wax or ceramic/glass coating. This will repel dirt, sand and grime. My favorite is 3M Performance Finish Synthetic Wax.

When if comes to washing the car, there are many ways someone can go about washing their car over the winter. I bought a Karcher pressure washer that sucks water from a bucket, because the outside hose freezes during the winter. Other people use products like EcoTouch or Optimum No Rinse during the winter. Research safe cleaning practices (two bucket method, grit guards, wash mitts, etc.) online and you should have no problem keeping your RX looking great for years to come.
Old 08-19-16, 06:52 AM
TiberiusL
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! Much appreciated. I've added a touch of chrome to the Caviar (e.g. door handles)....it really pops right now! Hoping it will survive the winter road conditions without wearing out since I don't plan on washing the car for at least a month during those times.
Old 07-03-17, 07:19 PM
gptgirl
Rookie

Thank you! Much appreciated. I've added a touch of chrome to the Caviar (e.g. door handles)....it really pops right now! Hoping it will survive the winter road conditions without wearing out since I don't plan on washing the car for at least a month during those times.
How are you liking your color choice?
Old 07-04-17, 02:42 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Whi

[QUOTE=TiberiusL;9577483]Hi, I'm in the midst of selecting between the Caviar and Eminent White Pearl version of the Lexus RX 350 (4th generation) with black interior (Luxury Package, no F-Sport). Being up in Canada, my fear is that the white may not be as suitable for our winter roads....any owners of either the Caviar or Eminent White want to share their perspective on ease of keeping the car clean and chip free? In my opinion the caviar just exudes a bit more class and sophistication but I do like how the white showcases all of the lines of the vehicle's design language. I'd like to drive this beauty for the next 10 to 15 years if possible so would appreciate any insights into both colours! Am very torn between the two...
White ! I am just going through the exact same scenario in sunny Australia and after much angst pushed the button yesterday on a white RX 350 called here a sports luxury with every option . I just felt that white suits the cars lines much better than black which when I got the dealer to line the two up side by side appears to dull the shape I felt where's white to my eyes looked classier especially with the cream / beige interior . Good luck with yours 😊
Old 07-04-17, 03:27 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Color choices are a personal opinion. Black or dark colors look great in the showroom clean and under fluorescent light. In the real world one rain or especially snow they look filthy. I would never own anything other than white, silver, light blue etc. I am meticulous about a clean car and would be washing it after every rain. Have owned a few dark colors and will never again. Our pearl white's can go a month without looking dirty especially keeping them waxed regularly. Someone mentioned above about the swirl marks on a dark vehicle. Never see them on a lighter one.
Old 07-04-17, 05:25 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Hoping it will survive the winter road conditions without wearing out since I don't plan on washing the car for at least a month during those times.
I guess it depends where in Ontario you are. You can go for 3-5 weeks where I live as it would be a waste of time cleaning it. I go to the spray places once in a while, but usually do a big clean up as early as I can...usually a warm day in March. Of course it just snows again the next day, but at least it has a fresh coating of something on it.