RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

First Service Appointment - Checklist? Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-16, 06:25 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by SFocLA
My first experience at Lexus of Glendale was a little disappointing compared to my experience with Downtown Los Angeles Audi and Benz.

-Scheduled 5k appointment online, in comment section requested a loaner and phone call.
-Phone call came later to confirm apt but explained no loaner car, I was not pleased, eventually got it
-Showed up 7am Apt time, checked in at service desk and let them know I had a loaner as well
-Met with service rep guy who looked like he smashed a few beers a night before, he could care less what I had to say. I showed him the print out of personalized specs and you could tell he was like whatever.
-Explained to him braking vibrations he said it was normal
-Explained to him my leather on center console had distress marks, he said he would look into it but prob cant fix it even when I explained I wanted a replacement
-Explained the personalized settings, he said he will note it but may not be able to do it even though worksheet says 2016 Lexus RX.
-When confirming loaner car, he said 5k service does not come with one, I explained I got approval, he didnt believe me so I requested to talk to Service Manager

Service Manager Chris - who was 100x better than this washed up old dude was alert and right away explained the leather inconsistency and said he would order a new section for me. Then he asked about how I got crossbars on pano roof which was cool that he noticed. Overall good guy and will be contacting him from now on.

-Lexus gave me a loaner even but they said to refill it with gas before I come back otherwise I would get charged, seems a little nickle/dimey to me because Audi/Benz have always said just bring it back dont worry about gas. Not a big deal but still bugged me haha.

Moral of story: Find a good service rep, make a connection, and do not take NO for an answer

My personalized settings:
-blinker changed from 3 to 4 blinks
-turned off beep noise when trunk goes up (this drove my wife and baby nuts when napping)
-windows go down from remote

Ken- I did not request to change mirror unlock/lock settings because I prefer it how it is so I can see if my car is locked from far away.
That sucks..

Yeah, even for something about my door creaking, they had the part to fix and said it could take 2 or more hours.

I demanded a loaner car and they gave me one. They also said I have to fill up gas or they will charge me. I was like what the?

Luckily, I only went to the gym close by. But even then, the loaner car was literally on E when I got it.
He told me that lots of people try and get serviced on Friday to get a loaner car for the weekend so they are trying to stop that.. haha wow.
Old 07-19-16, 09:39 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
How did you get the cross bars on with the Pano roof?
here you go playa: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...c-sunroof.html
Old 07-19-16, 09:41 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
That sucks..

Yeah, even for something about my door creaking, they had the part to fix and said it could take 2 or more hours.

I demanded a loaner car and they gave me one. They also said I have to fill up gas or they will charge me. I was like what the?

Luckily, I only went to the gym close by. But even then, the loaner car was literally on E when I got it.
He told me that lots of people try and get serviced on Friday to get a loaner car for the weekend so they are trying to stop that.. haha wow.
Charging for gas is such a cheap skate move. I returned my car back without refilling it, we will see if I get a charge.

I will say the follow up process was nice. 1) made apt online 2) got a call soon after 3) friendly service staff for the most part 4) got email when service was done 5) got a follow up call as well when service was done 5) picking up the car they did a nice car wash including tire polish which was a surprise.
Old 07-20-16, 04:58 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Charging for gas is such a cheap skate move. I returned my car back without refilling it, we will see if I get a charge.

I will say the follow up process was nice. 1) made apt online 2) got a call soon after 3) friendly service staff for the most part 4) got email when service was done 5) got a follow up call as well when service was done 5) picking up the car they did a nice car wash including tire polish which was a surprise.
Jon! Not sure if you care or not,

they run the car through a car wash tunnel with those plastic bristles. They might scratch your car or create swirl marks. I always refuse to get a car wash for this reason. I even print a do not wash car just in case they forget.
Old 08-22-16, 05:16 PM
curf
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1st service 5000 miles

I think I remember seeing a list of things to address on the 1st service that someone posted a while back. Anyone remember it / know how to find it? Thanks in advance, it's that time.

Old 08-22-16, 06:19 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1...ices-guide.pdf
Old 08-23-16, 05:21 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Here you go: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-any-tips.html

Check out my post, post #6. Also, I think we may need to merge threads...
Old 08-23-16, 07:45 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5000 mile service

Like the two suggestions above. Read your maintenance manual.
Old 08-23-16, 09:04 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Merged. Thanks Curryolla.
Old 08-24-16, 08:32 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first experience at Lexus of Glendale was a little disappointing compared to my experience with Downtown Los Angeles Audi and Benz.

-Scheduled 5k appointment online, in comment section requested a loaner and phone call.
-Phone call came later to confirm apt but explained no loaner car, I was not pleased, eventually got it
-Showed up 7am Apt time, checked in at service desk and let them know I had a loaner as well
-Met with service rep guy who looked like he smashed a few beers a night before, he could care less what I had to say. I showed him the print out of personalized specs and you could tell he was like whatever.
-Explained to him braking vibrations he said it was normal
-Explained to him my leather on center console had distress marks, he said he would look into it but prob cant fix it even when I explained I wanted a replacement
-Explained the personalized settings, he said he will note it but may not be able to do it even though worksheet says 2016 Lexus RX.
-When confirming loaner car, he said 5k service does not come with one, I explained I got approval, he didnt believe me so I requested to talk to Service Manager

Service Manager Chris - who was 100x better than this washed up old dude was alert and right away explained the leather inconsistency and said he would order a new section for me. Then he asked about how I got crossbars on pano roof which was cool that he noticed. Overall good guy and will be contacting him from now on.

-Lexus gave me a loaner even but they said to refill it with gas before I come back otherwise I would get charged, seems a little nickle/dimey to me because Audi/Benz have always said just bring it back dont worry about gas. Not a big deal but still bugged me haha.

Moral of story: Find a good service rep, make a connection, and do not take NO for an answer

My personalized settings:
-blinker changed from 3 to 4 blinks
-turned off beep noise when trunk goes up (this drove my wife and baby nuts when napping)
-windows go down from remote

Ken- I did not request to change mirror unlock/lock settings because I prefer it how it is so I can see if my car is locked from far away.
Could you post a photo of the center console? I noticed the other day the leather on mine looks dull and worn. Wondering if it's a similar problem. My RX is 6 months old and due for 5000 mile appointment.
Old 08-24-16, 09:22 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon! Not sure if you care or not,

they run the car through a car wash tunnel with those plastic bristles. They might scratch your car or create swirl marks. I always refuse to get a car wash for this reason. I even print a do not wash car just in case they forget.
I am going to do this. Nobody touches my paint or interior but me. They put swirls and light scratches on the rear bumper, nose, and around the rear license frame and taillights with their "detailing" when I first took delivery. I got rid of these myself but was pretty disappointed.
Old 08-25-16, 04:40 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Radio88
I am going to do this. Nobody touches my paint or interior but me. They put swirls and light scratches on the rear bumper, nose, and around the rear license frame and taillights with their "detailing" when I first took delivery. I got rid of these myself but was pretty disappointed.
Someone told me to print in big letters DO NOT WASH and print like 20 copies. When you arrive at the dealer to give them your car, put the do not wash on the dashboard and repeat 5 times to the representative that you DO NOT want the car washed.

Been to crown lexus twice and after doing that they did not wash my car.
Old 08-25-16, 05:57 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Someone told me to print in big letters DO NOT WASH and print like 20 copies. When you arrive at the dealer to give them your car, put the do not wash on the dashboard and repeat 5 times to the representative that you DO NOT want the car washed.

Been to crown lexus twice and after doing that they did not wash my car.
Been doing the same thing for a couple of years now. Some dealerships are great...some not so much. My Toyota dealership is amazing. One time I forgot the DO NOT WASH sign and they still remembered! It also helps when you are on a first name basis with everyone there and have the "nicest old cars" they've seen. My Honda dealership is a nightmare. Thankfully, I could care less about my brother's Honda (rotten piece of junk that thing). I've complained and gotten so many free oil changes it is not even funny anymore.
Old 08-25-16, 09:23 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, I don't know how this got by me but I just realized that they won't change out the oil till 10,000 miles or the 1 year service. I know that it has synthetic oil in it but to my old-ways-minded thinking, this new motor broke in on this batch of oil and I feel it should be changed out at 5000 miles the first time. Can you guys convince me otherwise by educating me on this whole synthetic oil thing?
Also, how much does an oil change cost on our 4RX, those who have already paid for one? Thanks.
Old 08-25-16, 10:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Radio88, synthetic oil change at the 10K mile/12 month interval has been standard on the RX since February 2010. There's been no catastrophic consequences since Lexus made the change. And a few members had their oil tested. You can look through this thread from the 3RX forum. It might change your thinking. The first two services are free including one oil change. You could probably get the dealer to do it at 5K instead of 10K. But it's really not necessary.

Quick Reply: First Service Appointment - Checklist? Any Tips?