RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F-Sport grille fit on non-F Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 12:31 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rufetus

I was waiting for a long time for this grill through our local bodyshop. It took about 2 hours to install it. It was very fine work and the result exceeded my expectations. I think their is no necessity to replace the whole bumper and grill. Our lexus dealer asked about $2200. I believe the amount they asked grossly exaggerated. I found an alternative way, emailed a guy and he was really helpful and I ordered through him. The quality of the grill and paint are excellent.
Wow, that looks amazingly good! Did it require any custom work for the lower grill fitment?

PM sent!

Last edited by Darith; 12-27-16 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-27-16, 08:44 PM
rufetus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Darith
Wow, that looks amazingly good! Did it require any custom work for the lower grill fitment?

PM sent!
Hi Darith,

this fits only the standard grill. If you have F-sport grill it doesn't fit. You have to buy bumper and some other parts. This OEM grill goes exactly into the chrome frame, you just have to adjust parking sensors. Because standard grill holes for the parking sensors are a little bit lower than F-sport. Overall everything is the same. There are some OEM grills, but their quality is not good.
Old 12-28-16, 08:00 PM
Darith
Driver

Hi Darith,

this fits only the standard grill. If you have F-sport grill it doesn't fit. You have to buy bumper and some other parts. This OEM grill goes exactly into the chrome frame, you just have to adjust parking sensors. Because standard grill holes for the parking sensors are a little bit lower than F-sport. Overall everything is the same. There are some OEM grills, but their quality is not good.
quick question: did it have these large 4 spots in the lower portion of the grille?

Old 12-29-16, 07:19 AM
rufetus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

quick question: did it have these large 4 spots in the lower portion of the grille?

​​​​​​the center holes for the numberplate. I am not sure about side ones, don't have them.
Old 01-06-17, 11:33 AM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered my parts from Nigel who is referenced earlier in this thread. Ordered on 11/22/2016 and received the parts in two big Toyota/Lexus boxes on 1/5/2017. Shipped by DHL from Hong Kong. Every part was packaged really well. Lots of paper and bubble wrap. Nothing was damaged. Nigel put me in contact with Tommy in El Monte (https://www.yelp.com/biz/music-box-south-el-monte-3). I was really nervous about letting anyone dismantle my new car, but Tommy is very experienced and was super careful. Look at how he wrapped the wheel well trim in bubble wrap.

Lessons learned:
1. I was confused about what grill part i needed. I think there are 3 variations of F-sport grills. a. no parking sensors or front camera b. parking sensors but no front camera and c. parking sensors and front camera. The front camera is attached to the bottom of the emblem. Its for the panoramic view option (top down 360 view). If you have panoramic view, then you have a little camera just under the emblem and there needs to be a cutout for it in the F-Sport grill. I have b, which is probably what most RX350s are equipped with in the USA. I was looking at some parts descriptions that mentioned a Lane keep assist camera and I still don't understand the reference. The camera for that is in the windshield. Anyways, i got lucky and was sent the right part.

2. No screws came with the parts. Autobody shops will probably have screws, but if you go somewhere else pick up the necessary screws at the dealership. You will be able to re-use screws from the original parts, but will still be short about 12 screws. I think if you buy 12 Lexus part 90167-50063 silver pan tapping screws will work.

3. One problem area was the emblem. See the notes below the picture.

4. It took about three hours to complete the transformation. Tommy is experienced, but this is the first 2016 RX350 he took apart. He did an amazing job. You should call him if you are in SoCal.

I am happy with the outcome. I really like the lower lip. At first I wanted to just do the grill, but i think the lip adds a nice additional element...especially on a black RX. It looks like a little angry frown.

I purchased the rear valence (diffuser) today from Glendale Lexus and will go back to Tommy's tomorrow for the installation of that part. I tried to do it myself but after removing a few bolts I decided that I didn't want to risk breaking anything.

Bumper had to be removed.
Bumper off.
New parts 1 of 3

New parts 2 of 3

New parts 3 of 3.

Problem #1: The emblem is held on at the top with what looks like two washers or metal clips. You can see one is attached in the photo. The other one (right) is not there anymore because the black plastic post broke while trying to remove the washer. In retrospect, the better approach would have been to carefully dremel off the metal washers while not damaging the posts. Don't try and save the washers for re-use. Just buy new ones from the Dealer. The emblem is extremely expensive ($550 retail) so do not break off the plastic posts. Tommy fixed the right post with some glue and there was enough post left to reattach it to the washer.
Removed parts from the bumper. Ready to attach F-Sport parts. It was a lot of work to remove the grill inserts and the lower chrome trim. Lots of clips and screws.
Had to re-route the parking sensor wires so they weren't pulling too tight.
Ready to to-attach bumper to the vehicle.
Problem #2- the license plate holder shipped to me doesn't fit US license plate holes. The holes are slightly too wide. Had to improvise and drill into the plastic. It ended up looking better than using the stock holes because Tommy used nice screws and aligned the top the plate perfectly with the top of the plastic mount. The license plate holder from the original grill does not fit the F-sport grill. There are cutouts on the side that prevent it from mating exactly.

OMG, L-FA! Spotted while picking up screws at Longo Lexus today. In for the 1,800 mile service is what the parts guy told me. In the service bay right in front of the customer lounge.

Last edited by roblim; 01-06-17 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
The following 4 users liked this post by roblim:
Darith (01-06-17), Emajinatio (09-22-19), Nigel-JDMParts (01-24-17), riannausa1 (05-02-20)
Old 01-21-17, 06:32 PM
450h4bvrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 RX450h with F sport grill & lip

I got my parts delivered yesterday from Nigel and spent about 5 hours installing them today roblim's pictures were very helpful in the installation process. Needed 10 sheet metal screws, the push washers on the emblem are a bear to remove just like roblim said. The wife loves the new look, she really did not like the old grill. If you are doing it yourself set some time aside and if you have any questions please let me know.

F-Sport grille fit on non-F Sport?-before.jpg

F-Sport grille fit on non-F Sport?-after.jpg
The following 4 users liked this post by 450h4bvrs:
DaytonaV (02-13-18), Emajinatio (09-22-19), Nigel-JDMParts (01-24-17), Showoff209 (07-09-20)
Old 04-11-17, 07:02 PM
etgo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can't see the pics..
anyone still have these pics and repost them? TIA.

Planning to convert my RX too.

Originally Posted by roblim
I ordered my parts from Nigel who is referenced earlier in this thread. Ordered on 11/22/2016 and received the parts in two big Toyota/Lexus boxes on 1/5/2017. Shipped by DHL from Hong Kong. Every part was packaged really well. Lots of paper and bubble wrap. Nothing was damaged. Nigel put me in contact with Tommy in El Monte (https://www.yelp.com/biz/music-box-south-el-monte-3). I was really nervous about letting anyone dismantle my new car, but Tommy is very experienced and was super careful. Look at how he wrapped the wheel well trim in bubble wrap.

Lessons learned:
1. I was confused about what grill part i needed. I think there are 3 variations of F-sport grills. a. no parking sensors or front camera b. parking sensors but no front camera and c. parking sensors and front camera. The front camera is attached to the bottom of the emblem. Its for the panoramic view option (top down 360 view). If you have panoramic view, then you have a little camera just under the emblem and there needs to be a cutout for it in the F-Sport grill. I have b, which is probably what most RX350s are equipped with in the USA. I was looking at some parts descriptions that mentioned a Lane keep assist camera and I still don't understand the reference. The camera for that is in the windshield. Anyways, i got lucky and was sent the right part.

2. No screws came with the parts. Autobody shops will probably have screws, but if you go somewhere else pick up the necessary screws at the dealership. You will be able to re-use screws from the original parts, but will still be short about 12 screws. I think if you buy 12 Lexus part 90167-50063 silver pan tapping screws will work.

3. One problem area was the emblem. See the notes below the picture.

4. It took about three hours to complete the transformation. Tommy is experienced, but this is the first 2016 RX350 he took apart. He did an amazing job. You should call him if you are in SoCal.

I am happy with the outcome. I really like the lower lip. At first I wanted to just do the grill, but i think the lip adds a nice additional element...especially on a black RX. It looks like a little angry frown.

I purchased the rear valence (diffuser) today from Glendale Lexus and will go back to Tommy's tomorrow for the installation of that part. I tried to do it myself but after removing a few bolts I decided that I didn't want to risk breaking anything.

Bumper had to be removed.
Bumper off.
New parts 1 of 3

New parts 2 of 3

New parts 3 of 3.

Problem #1: The emblem is held on at the top with what looks like two washers or metal clips. You can see one is attached in the photo. The other one (right) is not there anymore because the black plastic post broke while trying to remove the washer. In retrospect, the better approach would have been to carefully dremel off the metal washers while not damaging the posts. Don't try and save the washers for re-use. Just buy new ones from the Dealer. The emblem is extremely expensive ($550 retail) so do not break off the plastic posts. Tommy fixed the right post with some glue and there was enough post left to reattach it to the washer.
Removed parts from the bumper. Ready to attach F-Sport parts. It was a lot of work to remove the grill inserts and the lower chrome trim. Lots of clips and screws.
Had to re-route the parking sensor wires so they weren't pulling too tight.
Ready to to-attach bumper to the vehicle.
Problem #2- the license plate holder shipped to me doesn't fit US license plate holes. The holes are slightly too wide. Had to improvise and drill into the plastic. It ended up looking better than using the stock holes because Tommy used nice screws and aligned the top the plate perfectly with the top of the plastic mount. The license plate holder from the original grill does not fit the F-sport grill. There are cutouts on the side that prevent it from mating exactly.

OMG, L-FA! Spotted while picking up screws at Longo Lexus today. In for the 1,800 mile service is what the parts guy told me. In the service bay right in front of the customer lounge.
Old 04-13-17, 10:41 PM
16RXSD
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was waiting for a long time for this grill through our local bodyshop. It took about 2 hours to install it. It was very fine work and the result exceeded my expectations. I think their is no necessity to replace the whole bumper and grill. Our lexus dealer asked about $2200. I believe the amount they asked grossly exaggerated. I found an alternative way, emailed a guy and he was really helpful and I ordered through him. The quality of the grill and paint are excellent.
If you don't mind me asking this is a aftermarket grille right? And where can I buy one??
Old 04-17-17, 11:52 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by etgo
can't see the pics..
anyone still have these pics and repost them? TIA.

Planning to convert my RX too.
I can see those pics with no problem.

Originally Posted by 16RXSD
If you don't mind me asking this is a aftermarket grille right? And where can I buy one??
They're genuine lexus f sport grill, we have a set in stock and ready to ship.
Old 04-17-17, 02:42 PM
16RXSD
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From everything I've read here though you have to buy all the extra bumper pieces but this pic shows the original rx350 bumper and frame/

Originally Posted by Nigel-JDMParts

They're genuine lexus f sport grill, we have a set in stock and ready to ship.
Old 04-18-17, 02:29 PM
Darith
Driver

Originally Posted by 16RXSD
From everything I've read here though you have to buy all the extra bumper pieces but this pic shows the original rx350 bumper and frame/
Lets clear the confusion here, there are two different F-Sport grilles: 1) The full f-sport front bumper & grille conversion from which you can order from Nigel-JDMParts (PM him for pricing and shipping) or 2) The Mesh grille for non-F sport RX models through a supplier over seas (around $650 + S&H $100)

Last Option: You can purchase the the F-Sport OEM mesh alone and then add a japanese bumper cover (around $3-400).
Old 04-18-17, 11:33 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lets clear the confusion here, there are two different F-Sport grilles: 1) The full f-sport front bumper & grille conversion from which you can order from Nigel-JDMParts (PM him for pricing and shipping) or 2) The Mesh grille for non-F sport RX models through a supplier over seas (around $650 + S&H $100)

Last Option: You can purchase the the F-Sport OEM mesh alone and then add a japanese bumper cover (around $3-400).
We have the option 2 as well, but it is NOT Genuine Lexus Parts.
They're made in China, and quality is soso. But it does give you the F sport look.
Old 07-18-17, 12:00 AM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a56kuser
Here are some side by side high quality photos so you can see the difference between the two
Base w/ fully loaded options
PVM & pre collision w/ front camera and parking sensors.... notice the parking sensors are lower

RX450H FSPORT
If I just wanted to add the lower front spoiler/diffuser piece, what part numbers do I need to order? I would assume its doable? I'm fine with the non F sport grill but I love the lower spoiler. Thx!
The following 2 users liked this post by 97Soarer:
chuongzzz (06-02-18), DaytonaV (02-13-18)
Old 08-07-17, 09:21 PM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully someone can answer this questions. Can someone tell me what the F Sport corresponding part number is that I'm holding in my hand. I looked at the build sheet and it says 53286 and 53285 but those parts are identical to the parts that I hold in my hand (I ordered them but they are the same parts). It seems like the F sport lower bumper trim cover piece bends more like fangs where it touches the chrome piece of the lower grill.

Old 12-05-17, 01:38 PM
skarface
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like some of the pics show just the mesh added. Is that possible now? Thanks!

Quick Reply: F-Sport grille fit on non-F Sport?