RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Help Solve my Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 01:27 PM
TR2911
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Solve my Dilemma

I own a 2015 F-Sport and am looking for a new SUV. I have been test driving cars for a week and remain stumped I am choosing between the following vehicles:
  • 2016 Lexus RX -
  • 2016 Mercedes GLE
  • 2016 BMW X5 xdrive
The X5 is attractive because of the all inclusive maintenance, drive and seats. Adding options and packages gets pricey. The Benz is a beast and the seats are amazing. Like the X5, options are $$$.

Then we come to the new RX. For the money, the options are amazing and the price is $8k less than the X5 or Benz. The interior on the RX is incredible but the new styling takes away the prestige of owning a luxury care. It looks a bit tacky. That being said, the performance and options are great and as a current RX F-Sport owner, it is still in the running.

So with what you have above, what would you go for? I am ready to drop the cash but need to gain some expert feedback.

Share your thoughts.

TR
Old 05-20-16, 01:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Ask your self one question; Why did you purchase a Lexus RX in the first place?

If your answer is anything but reliability and resale then stop, cross out the RX and pick up one of the other two

If your answer is reliability and/or resale pick up an F sport and be done with it.
Old 05-20-16, 01:36 PM
TR2911
Driver School Candidate

coolsaber, I get what you are saying. That is the same question the CEO (aka wife) asked me last night. The problem is all three of these vehicles are high in these categories. Especially since I am doing a three year lease and will be trading for something new in 36 months.
Old 05-20-16, 01:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TR2911
coolsaber, I get what you are saying. That is the same question the CEO (aka wife) asked me last night. The problem is all three of these vehicles are high in these categories. Especially since I am doing a three year lease and will be trading for something new in 36 months.
Why buy an RX then at all? If your leasing, pick up a brand spanking new BMW or Merc and to the hell of it enjoy! Nothing beats a proper german RWD CUV on a lease
Old 05-20-16, 01:52 PM
TR2911
Driver School Candidate

Lol, that is what I am thinking. But the RX has soooo many more options
Old 05-20-16, 01:56 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Considering you're leasing, my vote goes to the X5. Live a little! If it doesn't work out, the 2019 RX will be there to soothe all the pain the Bimmer caused you.
Old 05-20-16, 01:58 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Lol, that is what I am thinking. But the RX has soooo many more options
Same with the other two in your list. To be honest, the BMW probably has more options then you can get on a RX.

For instance the best you`d get on a Lexus is about 11-12% off on a great day. BMW you`d probably can get lower and lease rates are great. Plus if you want, you can order exactly the options you want, skip what you dont want, get the awesome bimmerfest dealers to order you the vehicle and pick it up at the PCD at SC and get a hotlap in an M car with whole X-drive experience pack.

Vacation and Car :P
Old 05-20-16, 02:03 PM
pBOMB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2015 F-Sport and am looking for a new SUV. I have been test driving cars for a week and remain stumped I am choosing between the following vehicles:
  • 2016 Lexus RX -
  • 2016 Mercedes GLE
  • 2016 BMW X5 xdrive

The X5 is attractive because of the all inclusive maintenance, drive and seats. Adding options and packages gets pricey. The Benz is a beast and the seats are amazing. Like the X5, options are $$$.

Then we come to the new RX. For the money, the options are amazing and the price is $8k less than the X5 or Benz. The interior on the RX is incredible but the new styling takes away the prestige of owning a luxury care. It looks a bit tacky. That being said, the performance and options are great and as a current RX F-Sport owner, it is still in the running.

So with what you have above, what would you go for? I am ready to drop the cash but need to gain some expert feedback.

Share your thoughts.

TR
What about the Porsche Cayenne! If on a lease I would pass on the rx. Live a little. Either way u can't go wrong. G luck.
Old 05-20-16, 02:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

TR2911, there's an RX/X5 comparison thread in FAQ. Take a look, it has plenty of comments on both vehicles.
Old 05-20-16, 02:25 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

• 2016 Lexus RX -
  • 2016 Mercedes GLE
  • 2016 BMW X5 xdrive

Share your thoughts.

TR
Hello fellow Washingtonian, I normally don't chime in on these but I looked at these exact three cars and chose a fully loaded RX450h F Sport. I did extensive research and extended test drives of the GLE350/400 and the X5. I discovered these pros and cons (this is the short list):

GLE Pro: Fastest, best looking exterior
GLE Con: 8" screen, worst looking interior (I genuinely feel bad for GLE owners, it's so outdated and this is what you have to look at when you drive), MB-Tex is cheap, weak LED headlights
X5 Pro: Classy interior, mocha leather was the best (dakota and below were terrible), torque distribution and LSD best in class
X5 Con: No lane keep assist, fully loaded significantly more expensive, poor reliability, weak LED headlights
RX Pro: Hybrid
RX Con: Not powerful enough, AWD system lacking, cheap aluminum trim in F-Sport

Going in, I was most seduced the GLE looks, but it came in at a distant third. X5 would've been my second choice. It really doesn't catch anyone's eye though. Last generation X5 was much more macho.
Old 05-20-16, 03:17 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The X5 looks the best out of the three. Especially, in metallic black. How does the X5 ride? Is it sporty or more luxurious? I drove an X5 when they first came out (long time ago) and I was not impressed with the ride quality. Way too stiff for my tastes so I wrote it off.
Old 05-20-16, 05:17 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Get either one of the german cars and you'll make lots of new friends in their service department.
Old 05-20-16, 06:06 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by azinn
Get either one of the german cars and you'll make lots of new friends in their service department.
Meh op is leasing? Lease = live a little
Old 05-20-16, 08:25 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If I were doing a 3 year lease and could only pick from those cars I'd go BMW, and it's not even close. I like to drive pretty spirited, and the X5 will give the best ride of the three. RX is a distant last in that regard. If that really doesn't matter to you, then the RX is a great choice for the value.

Personally, I like the look of the new RX more than the previous generations. I just wish it came with better engine choices....or rather any engine choices. I am biased since I have a GL, but I think MB has the best exteriors. You are right that MB makes beasts though, it moves pretty well for the size and isn't even tuned yet.

If you are open to expanding your search, the new XC90 is a nice vehicle I would definitely consider on lease.