RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Remote start with just the remote!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 06:08 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Alexa? Siri? Ok Google? Bixby? Anyone?
Old 02-03-18, 02:33 PM
sgendreau1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Disabled Key FOB Remote Start

Just realized my remote start with the key fob is disabled unless you subscribe to Enform App. What??? What's next subscription for the brakes to work? Rise up people!
Old 02-04-18, 01:43 PM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Remote start with one fob, but not the other

So my wife has a 2016 RX. We bought it new. It came with two fobs. Only one of them will do the 4-lock remote start. The other just locks the door, but will not remote start the car on the 4th press and hold. Any ideas?
Old 02-06-18, 09:21 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jr4div2
So my wife has a 2016 RX. We bought it new. It came with two fobs. Only one of them will do the 4-lock remote start. The other just locks the door, but will not remote start the car on the 4th press and hold. Any ideas?
Isn't it two quick presses and hold the third till the headlights blink?
Old 03-19-18, 02:27 PM
pschiffe
Driver School Candidate

Default 2017 RX350 Remote Start With Key Fob

My free Lexus Enform subscription expires at the end of this month and I prefer not to pay $160.00 per year to continue the Lexus Enform Remote Feature. Lexus dealer tells me that once the Lexus Enform Remote Feature has been installed at the factory, that it is not possible to install any remote starter on top of Lexus Enform and that trying to remove the existing Enform feature jeopardizes critical telematic features! I've seen aftermarket remotes on the Internet that are said to work with the 2017 model using my existing key fob, what's the real truth on this?
Old 03-20-18, 01:58 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

in for details also
Old 03-20-18, 06:21 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by pschiffe
My free Lexus Enform subscription expires at the end of this month and I prefer not to pay $160.00 per year to continue the Lexus Enform Remote Feature. Lexus dealer tells me that once the Lexus Enform Remote Feature has been installed at the factory, that it is not possible to install any remote starter on top of Lexus Enform and that trying to remove the existing Enform feature jeopardizes critical telematic features! I've seen aftermarket remotes on the Internet that are said to work with the 2017 model using my existing key fob, what's the real truth on this?
Yes, it is possible to add Remote Start using the Factory FOB's and three Lock commands in a row to your 4th Gen RX. The Fortin offering will only work if you don't have the 12.3" NAVI option. The iDatalink unit will work with or without the 12.3" screen. I installed a full remote start system in my 2016 RX350. It will remote start with its' long range HC3 remotes and also allow a remote start with three Lock commands in a row from the Factory FOB's. Check out my posts in this thread for more info. See Posts 197, 209, 212, 216 and 223.
Old 03-22-18, 06:33 PM
pschiffe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FlopTop04
Yes, it is possible to add Remote Start using the Factory FOB's and three Lock commands in a row to your 4th Gen RX. The Fortin offering will only work if you don't have the 12.3" NAVI option. The iDatalink unit will work with or without the 12.3" screen. I installed a full remote start system in my 2016 RX350. It will remote start with its' long range HC3 remotes and also allow a remote start with three Lock commands in a row from the Factory FOB's. Check out my posts in this thread for more info. See Posts 197, 209, 212, 216 and 223.
Thank you FlopTop04, since I have the 12.3" screen I will apparently need the iDataLink HC3. I located a nearby authorized Rockford Fosgate dealer from the Internet and will make contact with them. Since you do these installs, I wonder if you are located anywhere near the Buffalo-Niagara region? I'm in Tonawanda, NY.
Old 03-23-18, 04:57 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

I'm on the other side of the state, across the Hudson from West Point.

A little background on the RX350 aftermarket remote start options. ADS is a Canadian company that manufactures the iDatalink bypass modules and the iDatastart remote starter systems. Their products are well made and very reliable. You have a few options to consider.

If you just want the ability to remote start the engine with the Factory FOB, all you need is the iDatalink ADS AL-CA bypass module flashed with the correct firmware and properly installed. It will allow a remote engine start with just three Lock commands in a row. Slightly different from the Lexus routine of "press and hold" on the final Lock command. Engine run time is selectable with eight options from 3 to 35 minutes. The same Lexus rules apply in that as soon a door is opened, the engine will shut down. Additionally, you are limited to the range of the Factory FOB's.

If you want or need additional range then you go with a system like the iDatastart HC series. You will get to carry an additional five button FOB but your range is now either 3,000 feet or one mile, depending on the system. The HC1 system gives you two remotes that provide a range 3,000 feet. The HC2 system provides the same range but will also confirm the Lock, Unlock and Remote Start commands. The HC3 system can be set up to provide one mile of range and give command confirmation. Once installed, all of the HC systems can also remote start the RX with 3 Lock commands from the Factory FOB's. The engine run time will be the same as if you started it with the HC remote. As always, the Lexus rule of engine shutdown upon door opening still applies.

Prices vary with the chosen system. The stand-alone ADS AL-CA module that has no after-market remotes and uses the Factory FOB will be the least expensive. The HC1 and HC2 systems will cost more but are available from more 12 Volt installers than the more expensive HC3 systems that are only available from Rockford Fosgate dealers. The cost of the after-market system is a one time price with no yearly subscription fee.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 03-23-18 at 06:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (03-23-18)
Old 03-23-18, 06:07 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Question Puzzled On E-Form

Originally Posted by pschiffe
Forgive my ignorance on this. Do you mean that we pay for the E-Form Feature annually? Though this is the exact vehicle my wife drives, I have no memory of the details involving this App. Is this configured on one of those "Annual Renewal" type things from the start (No pun) - and what befalls us if we should NOT wish to continue using this App? Unfortunately, my wife has trouble using her iPhone let alone the E-Form App on it.

I do believe I tried the 3 Push Button method once and it worked. I think I'll go attempt this again now after submitting this post! Looking forward to your feedback!

OH- I could ask the Dealership this, but why not here.
What happens if another Lexus is added to the family? Does the E-Form App recognize BOTH cars, or can you only use it to operate functions of ONE?
(About to pull the trigger on a sweet RC-F any day now!)
Old 03-23-18, 06:35 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

The Enform feature is free for the first year. After that, there is a fee based on the type of service subscription. I don't believe it is automatically charged each year. Going by previous posts, it just turns off after the first year and you have to initiate the renewal.
Old 03-23-18, 06:55 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The Enform feature is free for the first year. After that, there is a fee based on the type of service subscription. I don't believe it is automatically charged each year. Going by previous posts, it just turns off after the first year and you have to initiate the renewal.
When I signed up the free trial, they asked my credit card number so they could do auto-renewal.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (03-23-18)
Old 03-23-18, 01:56 PM
pschiffe
Driver School Candidate

I'm on the other side of the state, across the Hudson from West Point.

A little background on the RX350 aftermarket remote start options. ADS is a Canadian company that manufactures the iDatalink bypass modules and the iDatastart remote starter systems. Their products are well made and very reliable. You have a few options to consider.

If you just want the ability to remote start the engine with the Factory FOB, all you need is the iDatalink ADS AL-CA bypass module flashed with the correct firmware and properly installed. It will allow a remote engine start with just three Lock commands in a row. Slightly different from the Lexus routine of "press and hold" on the final Lock command. Engine run time is selectable with eight options from 3 to 35 minutes. The same Lexus rules apply in that as soon a door is opened, the engine will shut down. Additionally, you are limited to the range of the Factory FOB's.

If you want or need additional range then you go with a system like the iDatastart HC series. You will get to carry an additional five button FOB but your range is now either 3,000 feet or one mile, depending on the system. The HC1 system gives you two remotes that provide a range 3,000 feet. The HC2 system provides the same range but will also confirm the Lock, Unlock and Remote Start commands. The HC3 system can be set up to provide one mile of range and give command confirmation. Once installed, all of the HC systems can also remote start the RX with 3 Lock commands from the Factory FOB's. The engine run time will be the same as if you started it with the HC remote. As always, the Lexus rule of engine shutdown upon door opening still applies.

Prices vary with the chosen system. The stand-alone ADS AL-CA module that has no after-market remotes and uses the Factory FOB will be the least expensive. The HC1 and HC2 systems will cost more but are available from more 12 Volt installers than the more expensive HC3 systems that are only available from Rockford Fosgate dealers. The cost of the after-market system is a one time price with no yearly subscription fee.
Thank you once again FlopTop04 for your expertise, I'm familiar with the area; one of my kids is an alumnus of SUNY Maritime College in Throggs Neck (the Bronx), only about 6 hours away! But I digress, I will definitely go with the iDatalink ADS-CA that you have kindly recommended, but my local auto electronics guy says, "there is no ads-ca module, I think he means ads-alca" can you please verify if this is accurate so I can be sure we are on the same page?
Old 03-23-18, 04:25 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
When I signed up the free trial, they asked my credit card number so they could do auto-renewal.
That's interesting, as that didn't happen with me. I signed-up for the free one year trial in mid-January of this year.
Old 03-23-18, 04:35 PM
FlopTop04
Advanced

There is definitely an ADS iDatalink ADS AL-CA bypass module. They can be found on EBay for around $50. The ADS AL-CA would need to be flashed with the ADS-AL(RS)-TL7 firmware for this application. Any 12Volt install shop that is an iDatalink dealer has the necessary equipment to perform the firmware flash. Here is a link to the install guide for the install :

"http://images.idatalink.com/corporate/Content/Manuals/RS-TL7/ADS-AL(RS)-TL7-[ADS-ALCA]-EN_20180215.pdf" * might have to cut and paste this whole link

The Type 2 diagram is correct for the 2016 and 2017 RX350. This would allow a remote engine start up using the Factory FOB and three Lock commands in a row.

Last edited by FlopTop04; 03-23-18 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Remote start with just the remote!!