RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-17, 05:02 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Had the TSB applied today. I would say it's 80% better, but still not perfect. There is a marked improvement during moderate throttle input from a full stop. The transmission will actually hold gears to up 2500 rpm now. Still some hesitation at highway speeds with gentle throttle (i.e. doesn't downshift and stays in 8th). The shifts however, are crisp and as they should be. I would recommend this to anyone with hesitation problems. Ultimately, the transmission is doing the best it can to achieve both fuel efficiency and smoothness now.

The Canadian TSB #3757 is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB3757.pdf (1.90 MB, 581 views)
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (03-14-17)
Old 03-13-17, 05:54 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by computerwi
Had the TSB applied today. I would say it's 80% better, but still not perfect. There is a marked improvement during moderate throttle input from a full stop. The transmission will actually hold gears to up 2500 rpm now. Still some hesitation at highway speeds with gentle throttle (i.e. doesn't downshift and stays in 8th). The shifts however, are crisp and as they should be. I would recommend this to anyone with hesitation problems. Ultimately, the transmission is doing the best it can to achieve both fuel efficiency and smoothness now.

The Canadian TSB #3757 is attached.
You just had done today right? Just give some time for your RX to adapt your driving habits. It will get better. If Lexus did right.
Old 03-14-17, 07:45 AM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The dealer said the system won't let them to flash the wrong program in and have no idea why there is no sports+ mode and customize mode
Old 03-14-17, 08:58 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Onion
The dealer said the system won't let them to flash the wrong program in and have no idea why there is no sports+ mode and customize mode
I don't understand what you mean..sorry.

If your car has sports + and customize modes as standard equipment...ie F sport option, then that's the program they should be installing.
I had no sports+ or customization after the first install because the dealer made a mistake. ( didn't know they had to disconnect the battery after install) Took it back worked properly after the second load.

If you are trying to load an F sport version into a regular version...that's a mistake.
Old 03-14-17, 01:49 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I don't understand what you mean..sorry.

If your car has sports + and customize modes as standard equipment...ie F sport option, then that's the program they should be installing.
I had no sports+ or customization after the first install because the dealer made a mistake. ( didn't know they had to disconnect the battery after install) Took it back worked properly after the second load.

If you are trying to load an F sport version into a regular version...that's a mistake.
It is an F-Sport Model with adaptive suspension so it does have sports+ and customize mode. They first claim because it doesnt display S+ on the screen so it doesnt have it although it actually does. Then i waited for another 30 mins then it just magically got fixed. Probably they just dont want to admit they did something wrong(didnt disconnect the battery maybe). But that's fine as long as they fixed it.
Old 03-14-17, 02:45 PM
FastFord
Racer

Maybe you went to the same dealer as me! haha

Sounds exactly what happened to my install....no sport +, then I discovered I had no customization.

Glad you got it fixed! yea!
Old 03-15-17, 08:27 AM
SmithyINC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally took my car in to have the TSB applied to my 2017 RX350. The fix has SIGNIFICANTLY improved the hesitation problem, it may have even helped the drone vibration issue a little bit. I have only driven 20 miles on it since I got it back (most of those miles were highway) so I will report back when I have a bit more time of driving it. I can tell you I noticed the change as soon as I started driving. I had awful hesitation from a start and that is pretty much non existent. It seems like the gears shift at a higher RPM now and are MUCH smoother. Now...just waiting on the drone fix....I'll report back if my findings change.
Old 03-15-17, 05:08 PM
dempsey99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a 2016 F-sport AWD with build date in september 2016. Since purchasing the vehicle in december 2016, i have always driven it in sport mode since i could not stand the lag/hesitation of the car in normal mode.

I had the TSB applied today. Happy to report that the issue seems to have been fixed. Im driving in normal mode now. No need to have to switch to sport mode everytime i start the car

As stated above, make sure the dealer performs a hard reset by disconnecting the battery after installing the update. My software was missing the sport plus mode until the hard reset.
Old 03-15-17, 08:17 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

unfortunately the fix hasn't worked for me. I had it applied correctly according to the dealer but there is no appreciable difference. Disappointed with the crappy off the line acceleration under light throttle.
Old 03-15-17, 09:15 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone know how to get into the service menu and check the software?
Old 03-16-17, 10:10 AM
HenryNYC
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dempsey99
Have a 2016 F-sport AWD with build date in september 2016. Since purchasing the vehicle in december 2016, i have always driven it in sport mode since i could not stand the lag/hesitation of the car in normal mode.

I had the TSB applied today. Happy to report that the issue seems to have been fixed. Im driving in normal mode now. No need to have to switch to sport mode everytime i start the car

As stated above, make sure the dealer performs a hard reset by disconnecting the battery after installing the update. My software was missing the sport plus mode until the hard reset.
This is the exact issue I have after the update flash. It hasn't been addressed yet because I'm waiting on them to get me my power lift gate ECU in so I don't need to make multiple trips. Are you saying that my update might haven been done correctly but they are missing the battery disconnect step? If that's the case, I can just disconnect it myself and 30 minutes later. I should have my 2 missing modes back?
Old 03-16-17, 11:02 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was thinking the same. Wouldn't it be much easier just to disconnect your own battery and let it reset than bringing it back to the dealer for them to do the same?
Old 03-16-17, 11:03 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by HenryNYC
This is the exact issue I have after the update flash. It hasn't been addressed yet because I'm waiting on them to get me my power lift gate ECU in so I don't need to make multiple trips. Are you saying that my update might haven been done correctly but they are missing the battery disconnect step? If that's the case, I can just disconnect it myself and 30 minutes later. I should have my 2 missing modes back?

Same issue with mine, no sports + or customization screen...plus it ran like #$%...If I knew I had to disconnect the battery I would have done that myself. I believe you disconnect the negative terminal..Check further up in this post to make sure...someone posted the correct terminal.
Old 03-16-17, 11:05 AM
FastFord
Racer

The Tech must do a system reset. (disconnect the battery negative terminal for about 10 min).
Old 03-16-17, 11:17 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Makes sense, but I'd probably leave it disconnected for 30 minutes just to be sure it resets.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)