RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 12:56 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tdjacw
TSB. Lexus Technical Service Bulletin number L-SB-0109-17
Thanks, but I meant to post the actual TSB.
Old 02-28-17, 05:56 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Update to my Canadian TSB for hesitation...

As the previous threads stated the TSB seemed to work then went bad.

Looks like the TSB was the USA TSB, given to Lexus Canada and transferred to my dealer. There was some missing info given to my dealer that was not on the TSB. Apparently after the load is installed there needs to be a full reset of the system. This was not stated in the TSB. Dealer called today and says that the Drive mode and customization ( F sport ) is now working and the TSB is installed as it should be.

Looking forward to testing it out again.

Keep you posted.
That's great news FastFord. Kudos to your service rep and dealer for giving the US TSB a try. Hopefully they get this right for you.

Not sure if this is a placebo effect, but I'm growing more and more frustrated with this as time passes by. On the days I drive my IS, I appreciate how predictable and smooth it's 6 speed is.
Old 03-01-17, 07:14 AM
dunyamunya
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TSB scan

I took my 17 F-Sport to the dealer to apply the TSB, but they said that my car does not need one and has the latest software, even though I got it in November of 16. I did ask them for the print out of TSB, but they only gave me first 3 out of 5 pages. Attached.

BTW, I still have hesitation in the transmission. The service tech that was working with me has same RX and issues with transmission, but did not know about TSB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB L-SB-0109-17.pdf (87.2 KB, 1047 views)
The following 6 users liked this post by dunyamunya:
bb700092 (03-03-17), computerwi (03-01-17), cp2012 (08-28-18), cpreecs (03-02-17), guxu (04-19-17), PLamarine (03-03-17) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-01-17, 08:01 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on TSB attachment I see there 2 versions one for Fsport and non F sport wonder what would happen if they applied the F sport to a non F sport?
Old 03-01-17, 08:09 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts
Smile

I got my F sport back yesterday. TSB installed. What a difference. The original TSB was done with a small error by the dealer. No offense to them as the TSB procedure left off a small but important detail. I appreciate that the dealer said they forgot/didn't know/mis-understood the procedure...no big deal. S4iscool got it right, just a little mis-step appling the TSB. It was the first time they had done this TSB and had to get it from Lexus Canada thru Lexus USA. All in all I was impressed with Lexus Canada and my Dealership.

By the way, the TSB has greatly improved the hesitation on my vehicle. Some others posted they noticed no difference. Night and day on mine...inches away from trading it in....she's a keeper now!
The following 2 users liked this post by FastFord:
computerwi (03-01-17), s4iscool (03-01-17)
Old 03-01-17, 11:11 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

So I have been driving in manual mode for the last few days. I can get a much more pleasing ride this way. Here's why, doing some experimenting in the manual mode I noticed the only time I get any significant drone is the shift from 4th to 5th in Auto.
The car will go into 5th gear with light throttle at 20mph. This motor does not like this at all. Now the interesting part. If you are stopped and put the car in manual it goes right to 4th even display's 4th gear. It seems its no coincidence that they new switching to 5th gear is where the issue is. In fact you can comfortably drive around town in 4th without ever changing gears. The car will slow down and downshift back to 1st while still displaying 4th. It just wont go past 4th gear, this is pretty cool as the first 3 gears are way to quick. I also found that driving on the highway at 60 to 65mph in 7th gear gives me the same gas mileage and I'm am nowhere near the 1500rpm vibration. I will keep driving in manual until, if ever Lexus ever decides to correct this. Seems crazy to have to do this but that annoying drone and vibration just irritates the heck out of me. Maybe because I'm a Vergo
Old 03-01-17, 11:35 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

The reason I dumped my 2016 MDX after a long loyal Acura driver is that. Their 9 speed auto did similar thing. They came out with a TSB for reprogramming
the TCU but problem persisted. When switched to Bimmer X5(has 8 speed auto) it never had the symptom) Another thing being 9 speed on MDX I never saw
that tranny shifting upto top gear in manual mode. Now I am with '15 RX hybrid.
Old 03-01-17, 01:36 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So I have been driving in manual mode for the last few days. I can get a much more pleasing ride this way. Here's why, doing some experimenting in the manual mode I noticed the only time I get any significant drone is the shift from 4th to 5th in Auto.
The car will go into 5th gear with light throttle at 20mph. This motor does not like this at all. Now the interesting part. If you are stopped and put the car in manual it goes right to 4th even display's 4th gear. It seems its no coincidence that they new switching to 5th gear is where the issue is. In fact you can comfortably drive around town in 4th without ever changing gears. The car will slow down and downshift back to 1st while still displaying 4th. It just wont go past 4th gear, this is pretty cool as the first 3 gears are way to quick. I also found that driving on the highway at 60 to 65mph in 7th gear gives me the same gas mileage and I'm am nowhere near the 1500rpm vibration. I will keep driving in manual until, if ever Lexus ever decides to correct this. Seems crazy to have to do this but that annoying drone and vibration just irritates the heck out of me. Maybe because I'm a Vergo
not only that for stop and go driving you will find limiting to 4th or 5th gives additional torque and is more enjoyable IMO. My ES with a 6speed also defaults to 4 when manual is first engaged.
Old 03-01-17, 02:13 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 615tpc
not only that for stop and go driving you will find limiting to 4th or 5th gives additional torque and is more enjoyable IMO. My ES with a 6speed also defaults to 4 when manual is first engaged.
Yeah its actually a very cool feature and the shifts are real smooth. This is the first time since I purchased it that I am actually getting some enjoyment from this vehicle.
Old 03-02-17, 10:33 AM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Does anyone known the new software version NON F-sport for the TCM. I had mine done an could not tell any difference.
I wonder if they installed the latest version.
Also what is the difference that you are feeling. Does it hold the gears out any longer? That's really the issue. My 4th to 5th
gear switch is horrible, it just lugs an drones until you step on the gas harder for it to down shift.
Old 03-02-17, 11:03 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Does anyone known the new software version NON F-sport for the TCM. I had mine done an could not tell any difference.
I wonder if they installed the latest version.
Also what is the difference that you are feeling. Does it hold the gears out any longer? That's really the issue. My 4th to 5th
gear switch is horrible, it just lugs an drones until you step on the gas harder for it to down shift.
The lugging and delay to downshift when in higher gears is still there, thats all about MPG and many new lexus are conservative like that. Im looking for off the line changes, not under heavy throttle, just light acceleration is where the original mapping was terrible.

I do wonder about the placebo effect as Im not as convinced as I was when i got my car back that a lot has changed. I will check with my dealer to see if they applied the TSB correctly.
Old 03-02-17, 12:48 PM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
The lugging and delay to downshift when in higher gears is still there, thats all about MPG and many new lexus are conservative like that. Im looking for off the line changes, not under heavy throttle, just light acceleration is where the original mapping was terrible.

I do wonder about the placebo effect as Im not as convinced as I was when i got my car back that a lot has changed. I will check with my dealer to see if they applied the TSB correctly.
It is 100% not placebo effect, you will notice as soon as they apply it correctly. It feel like you just gained a ton of low torque and pedal will become very sensitive .
I honestly thought it was going to do nothing, but couldn't be happier it now has the power right off the line, in fact I feel like the brakes are going to wear down quicker that how fast it feels at low speeds.

Have them recheck that it was applied correctly, because it isnt just a little bit it huge difference and I am now running regular gas.
Old 03-02-17, 01:23 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
It is 100% not placebo effect, you will notice as soon as they apply it correctly. It feel like you just gained a ton of low torque and pedal will become very sensitive .
I honestly thought it was going to do nothing, but couldn't be happier it now has the power right off the line, in fact I feel like the brakes are going to wear down quicker that how fast it feels at low speeds.

Have them recheck that it was applied correctly, because it isnt just a little bit it huge difference and I am now running regular gas.
Yeap, My car is same way. It feels like a totally different vehicle, doesn't matter what drive mode you are in, and when put into Sports + WOW. I'm loving it.
Old 03-02-17, 02:06 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Before the TSB, the tranny was very slow to react, never felt or saw on the tach any kind of downshifting, starting from an "almost stop" was really slow and then jerked ahead. Just not right by any standards.

Now with the TSB installed, feel the downshifts as you slow down and can see it on the tach. Just driving normal, in normal mode. Go around a slow corner like your neighborhood and there is instant power, no lag, no jerkiness. The car feels much more alive and engaged.

Tried sport plus today and the car has never been this responsive...never. It's like a new car. Too old and slow to use sport plus very often, but at least I know it's working. Normal mode now is how I would expect it, and I am very pleased with the TSB. It may not be perfect for everyone, but if your RX has poor tranny performance you will definitely notice the difference.

This is not a placebo effect either. If my wife notices it, and she knows or cares **** about cars, then it's working. No more coffee on her lap. Yea!
The following users liked this post:
computerwi (03-02-17)
Old 03-03-17, 05:12 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
Before the TSB, the tranny was very slow to react, never felt or saw on the tach any kind of downshifting, starting from an "almost stop" was really slow and then jerked ahead. Just not right by any standards.

Now with the TSB installed, feel the downshifts as you slow down and can see it on the tach. Just driving normal, in normal mode. Go around a slow corner like your neighborhood and there is instant power, no lag, no jerkiness. The car feels much more alive and engaged.

Tried sport plus today and the car has never been this responsive...never. It's like a new car. Too old and slow to use sport plus very often, but at least I know it's working. Normal mode now is how I would expect it, and I am very pleased with the TSB. It may not be perfect for everyone, but if your RX has poor tranny performance you will definitely notice the difference.

This is not a placebo effect either. If my wife notices it, and she knows or cares **** about cars, then it's working. No more coffee on her lap. Yea!
Sounds like they remapped the tranny for sure. Good to hear that it is much improved!

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)