RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 06:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

With the way that modern cars have so much painted surface on the front of the car, it is not a question of whether you will have paint damage from stones or other debris. Instead, the question is only when such damage will happen. And paint protection film definitely provides a good amount of protection from that kind of damage. Further, with most of the very beautiful multi-stage colors being used on modern cars, trying to get anything close to a satisfactory color match with touch-up paint even with tiny stone nicks is next to impossible, which makes protecting against damage even more important.

On my ES, I have paint protection film on the full hood, full front bumper, full front fenders, mirrors, door handle cups, and door edges. Doing the full fenders, full bumper, and full hood not only gives the advantage of a larger area that is protected, but it also allows for the elimination of the lines where the film ends and where dust and dirt is likely to collect.

A complete paint protection film package is not going to be inexpensive, but it does offer meaningful protection. I've found that a good way to reduce the cost of such a complete protection package is to use it as the last item in the negotiations at the time when I buy the car. I bring the film into the negotiations only after every other aspect of the deal to buy the car has been negotiated. At that point, the dealer should be willing to sell you the paint protection film at little or no profit because they are not going to want to risk losing the otherwise already completed deal by trying to gouge you on the price for the film. By doing it that way, it should be possible to get the paint protection film at a price that is around 1/2 (or less) of the normal advertised price or the prices charged by independent installers.

A further advantage of paint protection film is that it also protects the finish from environmental factors, including bird droppings, tree sap, and bugs, that would otherwise have the potential of getting baked into and etching the paint. With the paint protection film, bird droppings, tree sap, and bugs clean off very easily and before they can do permanent damage to the paint.

It should also be noted that the quality of paint protection films has come a long way in the last 15-20 years. Modern top-of-the line films offered by companies like 3M and XPEL resist discoloring/yellowing and are self-healing, and they come with warranties that are as long as 10 years.

Last edited by lesz; 05-10-19 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 09:40 AM
LoveMyRX56
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

my 2017, purchased sep 2017 came with the 3M on the hood, like a 12-16' piece front hood edge back,, on sticker was few hundred $, then i took it somewhere to do the rest of front end
and mirrors. looks good, does the job of protecting, tho i wd never tackle the job of doing myself.if id do it again no doubt.
Old 05-11-19, 12:08 PM
isaacsow
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have an installer they could recommend in Minnesota? Price paid and amount of coverage?
Old 05-31-19, 01:59 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Just a heads up on RX front clear bra. If you apply, or have someone apply, PPF to your front facia and hood, make sure that the grill surround is also protected. That gigantic silver surround is right out there, and just asking for rock dents. Yes, it doesn’t chip, it dings with an impression of the rock or whatever hits it. Mine gets PPF on the grill tomorrow, but only after one small rock ding in the lower right corner. ��
Old 07-14-19, 10:57 AM
teriq
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx350L
Just a heads up on RX front clear bra. If you apply, or have someone apply, PPF to your front facia and hood, make sure that the grill surround is also protected. That gigantic silver surround is right out there, and just asking for rock dents. Yes, it doesn’t chip, it dings with an impression of the rock or whatever hits it. Mine gets PPF on the grill tomorrow, but only after one small rock ding in the lower right corner. ��

Had suntek installed full front coverage, including a pillars and side mirrors. They did not recommend installing on any chrome or silver because it will cause it to look foggy and take away the shine.
The following users liked this post:
GSFRX350 (07-15-19)
Old 07-15-19, 08:51 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by teriq
Had suntek installed full front coverage, including a pillars and side mirrors. They did not recommend installing on any chrome or silver because it will cause it to look foggy and take away the shine.
Xpel ppf has been applied to my grill surround and no worries - looks good. A lot of shine and no foggy haze. What you were told is a myth.
GSFRX350 (07-17-19)
Old 07-17-19, 06:12 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

It's much harder to do well on the silver parts but can be done as shown.
Old 08-12-19, 03:46 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I just had 3M Pro Series installed on my 2019 RX350 F-Sport. I went with the entire front clip, headlamps, fog light, door cups, A-Pillars, rear bumper, front edge of roof, specialty cut pieces for the door jambs while getting in/out of the vehicle.

Tomorrow morning I’m getting 3M Crystalline Film installed in every window in the vehicle, including the panoramic sunroof.
Old 08-12-19, 08:09 PM
teriq
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also did the chrome later because it scratched so easily. And you are correct, no haze so far. It's what the installer told me. While doing this I also had them cover the front Lexus emblem and the front camera with xpel also because I read on the forum about some rocks may chip the camera lens or housing. They did this for no charge when I did the front chrome. I tinted the front windows at 24% and pano roof at 40% only for the heat reduction but did not want it too dark because of the factory tint. Did not do the back windows because I have the luxury package which also includes sun blocking pull down shades. Make sure you also add the clear film to the front side mirrors, since they catch a lot of bugs.
xxx350L (08-12-19)
Old 12-06-19, 12:15 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

2018 RX 350 F-Sport, Caviar

I got the dealer-installed bra on the front of the hood and around the grill. I had a dark blue 2015 RX with no bra and the little stone chips really showed, starting right away, and my attempts to touch it up with matched touch-up paint was unimpressive, at best. My car is now 19 months on the road and dozens of car washes, and it still looks great. I found at least one little "dent" in the bra, where it stopped a stone, so I'm a fan.
Old 12-07-19, 06:15 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I had a Clear Bra installed on my last 2008 RX400h. It definitely protected the front from paint chips but eventually started to break down around the edges with cracks and chips. This was especially evident on the mirrors and curved surfaces. It also collected a small rim of dust and dirt on the perimeter edge which made it easily visible. After 10-11 years, the front of the car didn't look any better than a car with no protection. I would have liked to remove it for resale of the car but I was afraid that it would have pulled paint off with it. I certainly was not brave enough to remove it.

When I bought my new 2020 RX 350, I had absolutely no interest in spending money on a Clear Bra again. It seems like a better idea at first than it turned out to be for me.
LRX05 (02-03-20)
Old 12-07-19, 08:00 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Having Xpel Ultimate installed this week on wife's new 2020 RX3560 F Sport.

Randy B
Old 12-07-19, 08:27 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jrobe
I had a Clear Bra installed on my last 2008 RX400h. It definitely protected the front from paint chips but eventually started to break down around the edges with cracks and chips. This was especially evident on the mirrors and curved surfaces. It also collected a small rim of dust and dirt on the perimeter edge which made it easily visible. After 10-11 years, the front of the car didn't look any better than a car with no protection. I would have liked to remove it for resale of the car, but I was afraid that it would have pulled paint off with it. I certainly was not brave enough to remove it.

When I bought my new 2020 RX 350, I had absolutely no interest in spending money on a Clear Bra again. It seems like a better idea at first than it turned out to be for me.
I've had Paint Protection Film (PPF) applied to my vehicles since 2009. The film must be taken care of, just like paint. In 2009, Plexus was the product that most film installers recommended. Nowadays, they even have dedicated special PPF care products to increase longevity. The film does have a lifespan and may need replacing (depending on how well you maintain the film and how long you have your vehicle). PPF can be safely removed with a vapor steam cleaner. Improvements are being made to PPF all the time. Finding the right installer can be problematic, but when you do the results are worth it and the protection just can't be beat.
Old 12-07-19, 10:50 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

for me, secret to success is to have all edges turned in under the sheet metal so the edges are not exposed (where possible, ie, hood).
Only a great installer can do this.
Also, need to use product like Turtle ICE liquid wax monthly. After 4 years, no issues, except one/eighth inch tiny tear where a rock obviously hit. (and protected paint).
Old 12-07-19, 05:04 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
for me, secret to success is to have all edges turned in under the sheet metal so the edges are not exposed (where possible, ie, hood).
Only a great installer can do this.
Also, need to use product like Turtle ICE liquid wax monthly. After 4 years, no issues, except one/eighth inch tiny tear where a rock obviously hit. (and protected paint).
Turtle Ice liquid wax is terrific. Beads water easily for the entire month if thats how often you apply it.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?