RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 06:02 AM
IS KID
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minusplus
Scott at Advance Auto Engineering is good. Another good installer who's a perfectionist is Peter at Clear Bra Pro. Most installers leave the seams exposed, Peter goes the extra length and hides them.
Thanks I’ll check them out.
Old 01-09-18, 12:08 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by minusplus
Scott at Advance Auto Engineering is good. Another good installer who's a perfectionist is Peter at Clear Bra Pro. Most installers leave the seams exposed, Peter goes the extra length and hides them.
Peter did my NX, nice job. However he did not let me know he did not accept credit cards, so we had to go to an ATM together. I was so pissed, I can't recommend him, but yes his work is amazing.
Old 01-09-18, 01:44 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
Peter did my NX, nice job. However he did not let me know he did not accept credit cards, so we had to go to an ATM together. I was so pissed, I can't recommend him, but yes his work is amazing.
That's unfortunate that happened, especially since clear bras aren't cheap. But glad he did a good job on your NX. Did you go with Xpel?
Old 06-08-18, 09:01 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Clearbra

Hi I was wondering is 1100 for full good and full front bumper with Suntrek brand worth it? This is a lease car and planning to go trips with it and this my first time doing a clear bra since my Gs have rockchip in the front bumper. Just want some suggestion from you guys
Old 06-08-18, 11:30 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
Hi I was wondering is 1100 for full good and full front bumper with Suntrek brand worth it? This is a lease car and planning to go trips with it and this my first time doing a clear bra since my Gs have rockchip in the front bumper. Just want some suggestion from you guys

For my ES, that is about what I paid for coverage of the full hood, full front bumper, full front fenders, mirrors, door handle cups, and door edges. So, the price that you have seems to be somewhat high.

For future reference, a good time to negotiate and to get a good price on the paint protection film is at the time of the vehicle purchase. I always leave the paint protection film as the final item in the negotiations process. Only after I'm comfortable with the negotiated price of the vehicle do I bring up the paint protection film, and I indicate that I would be willing to close the deal if they are willing to sell me a comprehensive paint protection film package at a significantly discounted price. If that is what it takes to close the deal, the dealer should be quite willing to sell you that paint protection film package for a price that is very near to its cost.

Last edited by lesz; 06-08-18 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 08:21 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
Why install clear bra on a car you plan to give back? Seems counterintuitive

I don't have clear bra on my RX because I bought it used, but I had two other new cars with clear bra on it. Thought I'd give you my experience.
2013 Passat with 3M ScotchGard (important distinction, 3M makes two films, ScotchGard and VentureShield) - sold at 4yrs, 75k miles
2017 Passat with Suntek PPF - currently at 18 months, 13k miles

I went with Suntek the second time because it was easily available and very much recommended by many installers. I've come to learn that it is highly recommended by installers because it is the easiest for THEM. It is easier to apply and sticks better. For the uninitiated customer, they like it better because it is much clearer and thinner, it's harder to spot the cut lines. In short, it's pretty.

However, what I found is that the Suntek is not resistant AT ALL to bugs. I treat the Suntek with more care and it has more stains and marks than my 3M ever did. Also, as I mentioned, it is thinner and is holding up worse against the sand and rocks that I frequently see in the Southwest deserts. I drive both cars mostly over the same terrain, so no difference there. I-15 from Ontario to Salt Lake City once in each car, LA to SF on the I-5 multiple trips each car. The Suntek car has been through less sandstorms though.

When my ScotchGard was 3yrs old, I hit a plastic 30 gallon trash can on the highway so hard that it dislodged some plastic trim in my bumper. The clear bra had some black plastic marks on it. I was pretty mad until I rubbed my thumb over it and the black plastic came right off. No hint that I ever hit anything if not for the dislodged plastic trim.

The 3M did start yellowing just a hair. If you didn't look close, you'd never notice it. Next time, I'd go back to ScotchGard over Suntek. Or maybe try XPEL Ultimate. But Suntek? Nope, not again.

Last edited by N4TECguy; 06-08-18 at 08:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AeroTect (06-11-18)
Old 06-09-18, 10:38 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

And I cannot agree more with the 3M Scotchguard. It is really a tough one except this version do turn yellowish after a while. Unless, you get the Pro version, Scotch guard Pro. Which doesn't turn yellow at all. Well at least from my own experience, after a year. But you are also correct to mention it is a little thicker and the lines can easily be seen. But that is not a game changer for me at all.
AeroTect (06-11-18)
Old 06-10-18, 03:53 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

i have the scotch guard pro, with the 3m additional warranty on my 17rx
i had the headlights, fogs, bumper, full hood, full fender, mirrors, trim above the windshield, and the flap that stands up when the sunroof is open.(probably more, i dont recall off hand)
AeroTect (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 01:50 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Love to hear when PPF saves the day. To note, Suntek is also thinner than the other films, giving you less protection. You are completely correct in that installers lean that way because it can be more forgiving in application.

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
Why install clear bra on a car you plan to give back? Seems counterintuitive

I don't have clear bra on my RX because I bought it used, but I had two other new cars with clear bra on it. Thought I'd give you my experience.
2013 Passat with 3M ScotchGard (important distinction, 3M makes two films, ScotchGard and VentureShield) - sold at 4yrs, 75k miles
2017 Passat with Suntek PPF - currently at 18 months, 13k miles

I went with Suntek the second time because it was easily available and very much recommended by many installers. I've come to learn that it is highly recommended by installers because it is the easiest for THEM. It is easier to apply and sticks better. For the uninitiated customer, they like it better because it is much clearer and thinner, it's harder to spot the cut lines. In short, it's pretty.

However, what I found is that the Suntek is not resistant AT ALL to bugs. I treat the Suntek with more care and it has more stains and marks than my 3M ever did. Also, as I mentioned, it is thinner and is holding up worse against the sand and rocks that I frequently see in the Southwest deserts. I drive both cars mostly over the same terrain, so no difference there. I-15 from Ontario to Salt Lake City once in each car, LA to SF on the I-5 multiple trips each car. The Suntek car has been through less sandstorms though.

When my ScotchGard was 3yrs old, I hit a plastic 30 gallon trash can on the highway so hard that it dislodged some plastic trim in my bumper. The clear bra had some black plastic marks on it. I was pretty mad until I rubbed my thumb over it and the black plastic came right off. No hint that I ever hit anything if not for the dislodged plastic trim.

The 3M did start yellowing just a hair. If you didn't look close, you'd never notice it. Next time, I'd go back to ScotchGard over Suntek. Or maybe try XPEL Ultimate. But Suntek? Nope, not again.
Pro Series is warranted against yellowing for 10 years. It covers parts and labor if installed by a certified installer. The claims process is super easy if you ever needed it.

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
And I cannot agree more with the 3M Scotchguard. It is really a tough one except this version do turn yellowish after a while. Unless, you get the Pro version, Scotch guard Pro. Which doesn't turn yellow at all. Well at least from my own experience, after a year. But you are also correct to mention it is a little thicker and the lines can easily be seen. But that is not a game changer for me at all.
Awesome! Can't go wrong with that extra insurance. No one else offers that level of protection.

Originally Posted by JSracer
i have the scotch guard pro, with the 3m additional warranty on my 17rx
i had the headlights, fogs, bumper, full hood, full fender, mirrors, trim above the windshield, and the flap that stands up when the sunroof is open.(probably more, i dont recall off hand)
Old 06-11-18, 02:00 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Originally Posted by AeroTect
Pro Series is warranted against yellowing for 10 years. It covers parts and labor if installed by a certified installer. The claims process is super easy if you ever needed it.
That's a great warranty. I will note that regular ScotchGard that I had was warrantied from yellowing for 5 years. I never tried to claim it because I didn't feel it was excessive, and it was going back to VW under TDI buyback anyway.

How is the Pro series price (installed) compared to the regular stuff and/or Suntek, do you know? And would all regular 3M installers carry it or work with it, or is it more niche? Do you think it's better than XPEL Ultimate? I haven't had personal experience with it but hear it's the market leader in protection. Would give the 3M ScotchGard Pro a hard look on my next new car.
Old 06-11-18, 04:14 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Installed pricing would be comparable to Xpel. While Suntek is a less expensive film (the installer is paying for less material - it's thinner), I don't think it really gets passed down to the car owner. It really just depends on the installer.
3M Pro Series is arguably the best looking film out there right now (low-no texture). I see you're in California. Happy to have you stop by and see a sample if you're in the area. I might have an Xpel Ultimate sample roll lying around that we can compare side by side.

With 3M Pro Series you've got a 10 year standard warranty against yellowing, bubbling and cracking. Some certified installers also offer 3M's optional service agreement that actually covers paint damage if something gets through the film and damages the paint for a period of 5 years.

Pretty much anyone installing 3M Paint Protection Film now is using Pro Series - at least here in California. VentureShield and Scotchgard are both still available not as widely used.

That's a great warranty. I will note that regular ScotchGard that I had was warrantied from yellowing for 5 years. I never tried to claim it because I didn't feel it was excessive, and it was going back to VW under TDI buyback anyway.

How is the Pro series price (installed) compared to the regular stuff and/or Suntek, do you know? And would all regular 3M installers carry it or work with it, or is it more niche? Do you think it's better than XPEL Ultimate? I haven't had personal experience with it but hear it's the market leader in protection. Would give the 3M ScotchGard Pro a hard look on my next new car.
Old 06-11-18, 04:22 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Originally Posted by AeroTect
3M Pro Series is arguably the best looking film out there right now (low-no texture). I see you're in California. Happy to have you stop by and see a sample if you're in the area. I might have an Xpel Ultimate sample roll lying around that we can compare side by side.
That would be awesome and I'd love to stop by some time. Would hate to take you away from your business for no reason though, as I don't buy new cars every year nor know of a lot of referrals to give. But I do love to talk about little details and maybe have you see what you think about the Suntek on my Passat, it really does look badly stained for being so new.
Old 06-11-18, 05:10 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

do the 2018 rx450h front bumper come with clear bra? when I was washing my car I see a layer on the front bumper
Old 06-11-18, 07:36 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Let me know when. You wouldn't be taking me away from anything. If I'm not available, someone on our team will be.

~Jason

That would be awesome and I'd love to stop by some time. Would hate to take you away from your business for no reason though, as I don't buy new cars every year nor know of a lot of referrals to give. But I do love to talk about little details and maybe have you see what you think about the Suntek on my Passat, it really does look badly stained for being so new.
Old 06-25-18, 02:37 PM
Mikenunb
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The front bumper of the RX looked like a rock chip magnet so I refrained from driving the '17 RX F-sport till the PPF was installed. Private installer in Long Beach Ca. Used the xPel Pro. 10 year warranty film and labor. He demonstrated how the xPel is self-healing from scratching and abrasions. The job is completely invisible except for the line on the 1/2 hood job. It only shows if you are looking for it and under the right lighting. Should have gone with the full hood. Did the bumper, fender front tips for several inches to match the hood PPF line, headlights, fog lights, mirrors, front edge of roof, sun roof spoiler, front grill emblem, shiny black door pillars (they scratch very easily) and even a small patch on the front camera. Did not affect the picture at all. Some have complained about a rock chipped camera lens screwing up the picture. Very important the hood front edge and sides were wrap around. He gave me some large of scraps of new material to do some other scratch susceptible areas. Oh yeah, on my request he also applied the PPF to some factory purchased, paint matched, door guard moldings. Film applied before I installed the moldings for ease of installation. They look great. The kit he used also had some small patches for the headlight washers on the top of the bumper. Price for everything was $950. Tipped him an extra $50 and gave him $1000 even. Warranty is official, in writing, on a brochure from xPel showing installer identification and date of work. Couldn't be happier.

Quick Reply: Anyone install a clear bra for their RX?