RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 08:32 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

gas light went on the other day. I wonder if the 4RX is annoyingly too conservative as the 3RX.
Old 04-12-16, 09:05 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sirtiger
gas light went on the other day. I wonder if the 4RX is annoyingly too conservative as the 3RX.
Do you know how many miles are left in the tank when the gas light comes on? Mine came on at about 1/8th of a tank remaining.
Old 04-12-16, 09:44 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Richstang
Do you know how many miles are left in the tank when the gas light comes on? Mine came on at about 1/8th of a tank remaining.
How much gas did it then take to fill it up?

Subtract that from the fuel tank capacity and it would give you the answer.

Keep in mind that gas tanks can vary as much as a gallon from one tank to another.
Old 04-12-16, 10:06 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXOwner
How much gas did it then take to fill it up?

Subtract that from the fuel tank capacity and it would give you the answer.

Keep in mind that gas tanks can vary as much as a gallon from one tank to another.
I will try that the next time it comes on.
Old 04-12-16, 11:01 AM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

If I fill up right when the warning light comes on, I usually put in about 15 gallons. That would leave 4 gallons left when the light comes on.
Old 04-12-16, 11:27 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Originally Posted by DenverRx
If I fill up right when the warning light comes on, I usually put in about 15 gallons. That would leave 4 gallons left when the light comes on.
That sounds about right. I believe I filled about 15+ gallons but don't recall. Next time.....
Old 04-12-16, 03:35 PM
siwel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems counterintuitive, but I am also getting significantly better MPG in Sport mode. Most of my driving is "suburban commuting"... about 10 miles to work, all on suburban streets, with an average speed limit of 35-45. And I'm getting 10-20% better MPG in Sport mode, compared to Eco mode. Based on limited highway driving, the opposite is true. Getting much better MPG in Eco mode for highway driving. No experience yet in city stop-and-go driving, so I can't comment on that. But, hey... for my everyday driving, it's more fun to drive in Sport mode, and appears to be more economical as well. Win/Win.
Old 04-12-16, 04:44 PM
brxsilva
Driver School Candidate

I'm getting about 16.7 mi on the average for mostly city driving and a bit of freeway on Eco with the a/c constantly on. I was hoping for 18+ but at least it's better than my previous vehicles: 2006 LX460 12mi average city and freeway, 2014 GX 460 14 mi average city and freeway.
Old 04-13-16, 05:51 AM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires: winter Michelin x-ice, 18".
Driving: mostly city with occasional highway (winter)
MPG: 17.6 (13.3L/100kms)
Mode: mostly normal, sometimes eco (wife prefers it in slow city driving).

Switching to Sport and driving it properly dips the mileage down immediately.
Old 04-13-16, 04:44 PM
siwel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yermolovd
Switching to Sport and driving it properly dips the mileage down immediately.
Strange. I'm experiencing the opposite.
Old 04-13-16, 05:47 PM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by siwel
Strange. I'm experiencing the opposite.
You got to give it a good boot and take off fast from complete stop spinning it all the way up top. There's no way your mileage gets better, it just drinks gas. It also cruises one gear lower to hold higher RPMs and for better throttle response.

If you are in sport mode and are pacing about the same as normal, I could see it make no difference. Basically given traffic conditions, you could be going as fast in either mode, in a sense you don't really utilize what Sports provides, except maybe for a few brief moments.

The range indicator went about 20-30kms down as I made it through about 3-5kms of back country roads, a few complete stops in sport mode...
Old 04-14-16, 11:42 AM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Seems counterintuitive, but I am also getting significantly better MPG in Sport mode. Most of my driving is "suburban commuting"... about 10 miles to work, all on suburban streets, with an average speed limit of 35-45. And I'm getting 10-20% better MPG in Sport mode, compared to Eco mode. Based on limited highway driving, the opposite is true. Getting much better MPG in Eco mode for highway driving. No experience yet in city stop-and-go driving, so I can't comment on that. But, hey... for my everyday driving, it's more fun to drive in Sport mode, and appears to be more economical as well. Win/Win.
I agree with this. When I'm driving around town in reg mode (accelerating a lot), the tranny feels like it is one to two gears too high. I think this would make the engine work harder. If I'm going a constant speed and switch between reg & sport mode, I see a drop of ~800RPM in reg mode. If you are going a constant speed (highway), you don't need sport mode, and are using more gas because of the higher RPM's.
Old 04-14-16, 04:44 PM
noeldavid
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1st tank 15.6 Normal mode OEM gas
2nd tank 16.2 Eco mode 7-Eleven regular gas
3rd tank 15.5 Eco mode Racetrac regular gas
4th tank 16.5 Eco mode 7-Eleven Regular gas (switch to 20" and 38 psi from 18" and 33 psi)
5th tank 18.3 Normal mode 7-Eleven regular gas (75% tank=13 gallons and 245 miles = 18.8 mpg
6th tank 19.7 Sport mode 7-Eleven regular gas (254.3 miles / 12.72 gallons = 20 mpg! Manually)
7th tank ??? ECO mode to test differences detween winter and summer gas.

In Sport mode I can lay off the gas pedal sooner because I reach the 4th gear smoothly to reach the 40-45 speed limit faster and cruise towards the next stop. All city driving stop and go. I do not know anything about how anyone is supposed to properly drive a car or revolutions. This is just hard data to analize.

Last edited by noeldavid; 04-14-16 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Many times I forgot to activate the Sport mode since it does not stay on. So the manual 20 mpg is more accurate than 19.7
Old 04-16-16, 04:55 PM
NRX
Driver

Drove 0 to 150 miles in regular mode and 150 to 315 in eco mode. Filled up 14.68 gallons. So about 21.5 MPG for the first tank.

System showed low fuel even though it had 4.5 gallons left (19.2 tank capacity - 14.68 fill up) which is good for procrastinators like me
Old 04-17-16, 03:49 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I do not see how sport mode give you better mileage. Strange to say the least.

I never use Eco but have used both normal and sport and without a doubt, Sport decreases my mileage by 3-4 mpg. Sure it is more fun to drive as it keeps the RPM up more into the power curve for quick response, all equaling less mileage.

Last edited by RXOwner; 04-17-16 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 4RX Mileage Thread