RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX made in USA?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 02:49 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2016 RX made in USA?!

correct me if i am wrong but i been an Lexus fan for quite a while now, its just simply because of the quality and look with tech and reliability.

parents been driving the 2010 RX450h for a while now and thinking it might be time for them to switch to the 2016, saw the decal on the side of the vehicle it say 40% is Japanese made parts (transmission) and the rest and engine are made in USA?!

would that be an issue?

because USA Mercedes are kinda ****, same goes for Scion
Old 11-20-15, 04:03 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

The car is still made in CA or JP. the powertrain has always come from (at least the 3rd gens in CA) from the US. Specifically the engine. Yet there have been almost no massive lemon car threads so no need to worry
Old 11-20-15, 04:24 PM
Martin321
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
correct me if i am wrong but i been an Lexus fan for quite a while now, its just simply because of the quality and look with tech and reliability.

parents been driving the 2010 RX450h for a while now and thinking it might be time for them to switch to the 2016, saw the decal on the side of the vehicle it say 40% is Japanese made parts (transmission) and the rest and engine are made in USA?!

would that be an issue?

because USA Mercedes are kinda ****, same goes for Scion
It sounds like you are not a fan of Mercedes or Mercedes engines?
Old 11-20-15, 06:52 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin321
It sounds like you are not a fan of Mercedes or Mercedes engines?
i actually grew up with quite a few Mercedes, S320, a few E class, some C sedan and currently a GL and SLK. never had an AMG yet, but i do plan to get one in the future.

but i was exposed to Lexus back in 2008 and i just couldn't go back, it just feel right, so much less headache, u wouldn't have that worry of driving one day the car will give up on you. maintenance are easy to DIY. the tech are just fun and easy to play with, it almost make no sense to go european after going lexus.
Old 11-20-15, 07:00 PM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
i actually grew up with quite a few Mercedes, S320, a few E class, some C sedan and currently a GL and SLK. never had an AMG yet, but i do plan to get one in the future.

but i was exposed to Lexus back in 2008 and i just couldn't go back, it just feel right, so much less headache, u wouldn't have that worry of driving one day the car will give up on you. maintenance are easy to DIY. the tech are just fun and easy to play with, it almost make no sense to go european after going lexus.
Mercedes engines have been very reliable and I don't think that they have had any major recalls. If people are in an 8 cylinder turbo market should go for Audi or Mercedes but not BMW.
Old 11-21-15, 03:05 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Mercedes engines have been very reliable and I don't think that they have had any major recalls. If people are in an 8 cylinder turbo market should go for Audi or Mercedes but not BMW.
Engines are always reliable, same way the gears in a transmission..but the electronics that basically allow the engine to even to operate fail ,
Old 11-21-15, 05:35 PM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Engines are always reliable, same way the gears in a transmission..but the electronics that basically allow the engine to even to operate fail ,
"With 2014 being officially known in the automotive world as the "year of the recalls," it is no wonder that certain carmakers are trying and steer away from being put in the same boat as those offering cars with Takata airbags. BMW i BMW i s one of those brands, with the Bavarian automaker currently trying to pass a voluntary recall as a much fancier "customer care package." The recall involves just about every BMW with the N63 engine ever built, although probably not all cars will need to have the same amount of work done to them".

For those unfamiliar with BMW engine terminology, the N63 powerplant is the twin-turbocharged, 4.4-liter V-8 with 402 horsepower that saw use in every 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X5, and X6 model that have names ending with "50i" and were manufactured between 2008 and 2013. Having the service bulletin number B001314, the recall may take several days for each vehicle involved and could include replacement of the fuel injectors, mass airflow sensors, battery, crankcase vent lines, fuel pressure sensor, the engine’s vacuum pump and last, but certainly not least, replacement of the timing chain.

If all that didn’t sound like enough, all cars using this exact variant of the N63 engine will no longer be a part of the BMW long-life service intervals, instead requiring a service check every 12 months or 10,000 driven miles. Everything is not as grim as it sounds though, since it seems that affected BMW owners will receive a replacement car for the time that their vehicles are in the shop. Plus, the carmaker will also offer to buy-back the affected vehicle and offer a new one at a discounted price".

Its called a customer care package. my friend with a 550Xi had majority of his 2012 BMW 550XI parts changed for free. He told me that it was not just a software, but mostly his engine parts were replaced.
Old 11-21-15, 06:08 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

"With 2014 being officially known in the automotive world as the "year of the recalls," it is no wonder that certain carmakers are trying and steer away from being put in the same boat as those offering cars with Takata airbags. BMW i BMW i s one of those brands, with the Bavarian automaker currently trying to pass a voluntary recall as a much fancier "customer care package." The recall involves just about every BMW with the N63 engine ever built, although probably not all cars will need to have the same amount of work done to them".

For those unfamiliar with BMW engine terminology, the N63 powerplant is the twin-turbocharged, 4.4-liter V-8 with 402 horsepower that saw use in every 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X5, and X6 model that have names ending with "50i" and were manufactured between 2008 and 2013. Having the service bulletin number B001314, the recall may take several days for each vehicle involved and could include replacement of the fuel injectors, mass airflow sensors, battery, crankcase vent lines, fuel pressure sensor, the engine’s vacuum pump and last, but certainly not least, replacement of the timing chain.

If all that didn’t sound like enough, all cars using this exact variant of the N63 engine will no longer be a part of the BMW long-life service intervals, instead requiring a service check every 12 months or 10,000 driven miles. Everything is not as grim as it sounds though, since it seems that affected BMW owners will receive a replacement car for the time that their vehicles are in the shop. Plus, the carmaker will also offer to buy-back the affected vehicle and offer a new one at a discounted price".

Its called a customer care package. my friend with a 550Xi had majority of his 2012 BMW 550XI parts changed for free. He told me that it was not just a software, but mostly his engine parts were replaced.
1) Performance engines consume oil. However thats an excuse to some.

2) Although Mechanically an issue. The N63/S63 is primarily a software issue which stems from the fact that this engine needs a normal non eco centric software package. The N63 is essentially a motor that heats up quick. The cooling system is adequate, but the issue here is in the mist of the whole Efficent dynamics push. they decided lets make the alternator only charge when their is a need for charge (typically 85% or less). So when the cooling system needs to remain on (with the vehicle off as well), the battery is sucked dry. (hence the every oil change battery replacement). With the lack of cooling, your also heat soaking pretty much every component accelerating wear. Hence the CCP. Bmw cant release a software fix, since it royally screw them on EPA. So Point being of this, is the engine design is wonderful. electronic software management is **** poor